The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Georgian

Lookin' into a new 870....

Hey yall. I just sold 2 shotguns that I hardly ever used, a M500 Mariner 12ga for $300 and a Rem. 870 20ga Youth for $200....so $500 to put down on a new 870, since theres a $30 dollar rebate on any 870 model. I really want the Rem 870 7 shot (2 shot factory ext.), I've just be kinda second guessing it because of the bad press its been gettin as of late. I looked into the Pardner, but yall know how that is, I'm just an 870 man through and through. Anyways, anybody got any ideas as far as the new ones go? And no, I don't want a used one, because the chances of finding one with the 18 1/2 inch barrel already installed is almost impossible around here, I've looked. So by the time I spend $200 bucks on a used 870, then another $100 for a barrel, I might as well go for a brand new one with the factory ext included. So, to do or not to do? Need some input, thanks fellers

God Bless
Old August 20, 2009, 11:37 PM   #2
tommyb

I just bought an 870 Express magnum Synthetic (3inch chamber) back in April and I'm happy with it. The only thing that kinda ****** me off about it was shells being very hard to extract. I heard about the Express not being as high of quality as the 870 Wingmaster, and that i needed to do the steel wool polishing trick. So i did that and it didnt help. I found out that it was the very, very low quality ammo i was using. I bought a flat of Winchester AA's and they extracted flawlessly, so as long as you're using a decent shell, you should be fine.

My 870 does have a rust problem however. It was rusting about 2 months after I got it. I guess the Express models dont have the coating the wingmasters do so they are prone to rust. I cleaned all of the metal parts with a tooth brush really well, then covered it with loads and loads of oil and let it sit for 48 hours and then wiped it clean. The rust seems to have stopped, so if you just wipe it down with oil every now and then, or get it coated somewhere you should be fine.

Still one of the best bang for bucks IMO.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:42 PM   #3
.300 Weatherby Mag

I've never had any problems with my 870 express or wingmasters... What do you use for oil?? I use breakfree clp... I live in a very humid climate so I have to take great care in the rust prevention of my stuff...
Old August 21, 2009, 12:42 AM   #4
tommyb

I forget the name of the oil at the moment. Once i noticed the rusting, I applied some of it and it hasn't happened at all.
Old August 21, 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
WhiteShadow

I have one of the older Remington 870 12 gauge Expresses. I've had it for years, flawless performance since the day i bought it. I have no experience with the newer 870 Expresses.