The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

Who or What is a Excelsior ?

ok its another curious relic i have , its a 12ga single shooter excelsior 50 made in italy . It took a dive in the mud while on the atv one day and I just never got around to fixing it till now . the extractor or ejector got hung up along with the firing pin and when i broke it open it ruined both . I have machined a new pin but the extractor rod has broke . I have no luck in even finding the name to even look for parts . Its a neat gun as it folds completly in half . who makes it and were could i dig some parts up . below is a picture of it . right were it is broken is a flat spot where the catch rest in . im thinking if i cant find one i will spring load it and pin it , the welder is too big for this project and to have it micro welded is prob more than the gun is worth
Old January 5, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
publius

A good gunsmith could probably cut the shaft off at the extractor and weld on a new one. Cost, I don't know.
Old January 5, 2011, 12:29 PM   #3
boatmonkey82

i doubt this gun is in reality worth more than 75-100 bucks . im thinking a smith would charge more than that
Old January 5, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
boatmonkey82

ok i drilled the end of the main section for a pin - dug up a spring to fit the hole - cut off a 1/4 in of the short end and plug the rear of the hole for the spring to rest on .inserted the extractor pinned it and there you go . its not perfect but it gets it out enough . Its a atv gun , not going to be perfect or collectable .