The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 10, 1999, 08:43 PM   #1
rooty

Hello, I hope I got the right forum. I am wanting to get me an AR-15 and I was just need some advice on what brands were the best. I`m buying the gun for plinking and some varmit hunting and just to have one. I`m not interested in high dollar super target guns, just a good dependable gun with some degree of interchangability. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old July 10, 1999, 08:51 PM   #2
Edmund Rowe

Um, looking at the forum, do you want selective-fire or semi-auto only?

Edmund
Old July 10, 1999, 09:13 PM   #3
rooty

Either one, semi or selective fire. Do you need a permit from A.T.F. for the selective fire?
Old July 10, 1999, 10:09 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Concerning licensing for a selective fire weapon, you betcha. There's an ATF website out there somewhere and you can get more info from it. In addition to Federal licensing (a $200 tax stamp), you may also have to get some sort of approval from your state govt. and local sheriff. A helpful party who would be your local Class III dealer who can walk you through the paperwork. Stay legit and don't deviate from legal procedures since Club Fed is more than Tennis Camp.

If I were to go Class III, I'd go Colt. Bushmaster would be second.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old July 12, 1999, 12:55 PM   #5
Benton Quest

What's everybody's take on Armalite? I just completed one of their armorer's courses, and they claim they really have their act together (go figure).

Any real world experience out there?

Armalite claims that since Colt hasn't had a government contract in quite some time, that a lot of their machinery has become worn. Since they don't have to be mil-spec, they are not concerned. I don't know. Haven't personally had problems with Colt, but some look at them like they are the plague.
Old July 12, 1999, 02:15 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is a site www.ar15.com that is dedicated to the AR-15. A lot of your questions can be answered there. They have links to other related sites.

Frankly, buying full auto will be expensive and not easy. No FA weapons have been made for civilians since 1986, and the ones out there are getting both worn out and expensive.

Jim
Old July 12, 1999, 04:21 PM   #7
mguntony

Benton Quest: I had the pleasure of firing some of the prototype Armalite firearms and was very impressed. I have since used Armalite products and am still impressed with workmanship and fit and function. For semiauto work they are great, I have some reservations about full auto fire though. I know, they should work in both configurations but that is not always the case. Just my .02.
Old July 12, 1999, 05:11 PM   #8
Jeff White

Benton,
I've got a friend who's first AR was an Armalite M4C preban. I was impressed with it's quality, it's every bit as good as any of my Colts and I would judge it better then my Bushmasters. I don't really care for the short 11" barrel and long permanently attached flash hider of the M4C though.

I gather from your profile you're in the St Louis area, my friend with the Armalite lives in Millstadt and I'm East of there. If you want to look it over and shoot it contact me privately, we're getting ready to have another shoot soon.
Jeff
Old July 17, 1999, 02:12 PM   #9
Kodiac

What ever you do - dont try to get a new Bushmaster! You'll be waiting till Y3K for it.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old July 17, 1999, 05:38 PM   #10
rooty

I talked to the folks at bushmaster on fri. and the wait is only 45 days. I went to local gunshow today and it was full of bushmasters and colts.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:27 PM   #11
owl

Most of the AR-15 type guns shoot well, Colt and a few others make "Match" grade guns. The Match grade Colts that I have seen were tack drivers, The Elite will put 5 in 1/2", that is nothing less than fantastic.
Old July 21, 1999, 03:53 PM   #12
rooty

I`ve decided its between Colt and Bushmaster, now is it worth the extra dollars to get the Colt? I also looked at a bushmaster new out of the box the other day and the inside around the bolt was full of small metal shavings. Any comments?
Old July 21, 1999, 08:39 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've bought Colt, but that was back in the preban days. Colt enjoys name recognition and a loyal following. Not surprisingly, resale on used Colts tend to be higher than on other brands.

If name brand means little or you aren't concerned about resale, Bushmaster for the most part are one of the best. However, with the SB23 scare and the Y2K panic, demand exceeds production and Bushmaster is pushing out over 5K a month. If you choose BM, find another which is cleaner and if you find a problem, be sure to contact their service department immediately. From what I hear, they're generally very good.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old July 22, 1999, 09:41 PM   #14
Sid Post

Bushmaster uppers all seem to have some brass shavings on the bolt. You can always clean them off yourself if you find the rifle you want at a price that seems good. In a retail shop, I would expect them to clean it up but, they will also charge more.

Overall, I have been very pleased with my Semi-Bushmasters. They are cheaper then Colt and don't use the dorked up components new Colt's do. Accuracy, durability and, reliability have all been very good. Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for an inferior rifle because it has the Colt horse on it but, resale value on the Colt will always be higher because of name recognition (not quality).

Sid
---
Tx FFL
Old July 23, 1999, 03:03 PM   #15
Joefo

I have a Armalite National Match. You couldn't give me 2 Colts for it. It is a real tack driver. Service from Armalite is excelent. They even answer their e-mail.