The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 9, 2005, 10:20 PM   #1
RRA Man223

Educate me about how to hunt these

I need help about how to hunt groundhogs...like when do the move and are active like in the morning,evening or afternoon, can u bait them in and what do they eat, what do u need to setup on them like a blind or something, how can u tell if u got alot of groundhogs and stuff like that ??????

thanks
Old March 9, 2005, 10:32 PM   #2
mete

The groundhog or woodchuck is a marmot ,we have a few different types but the eastern one is Marmota Monax. They are originally forest creatures but now are usually found in fields, they love things like alfalfa.Mornings and evenings are the best time to find them. Search along the edge of fields to find their holes.It's best to be above them. They can be taken from a few yards to a few hundred yards with handguns to high speed 22s. They can be eaten though many just shoot them as pests.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

RRA MAN,

Where are you located? In PA, groundhogs/woodchucks/whistlepigs are found in most fields and in woodlines. Finding them is as easy as finding a cut field (when the grain is high you won't see them). I see them more in the afternoon and evenings than mornings. You can camp a field or just drive around until you see some. Most farmers here are glad to be rid of them and are happy to let you hunt with permission.

If the critter hasn't been hunted hard you can get them to stand on their back legs with a loud whistle. This offers a nice target area for longer shots.
Old March 10, 2005, 04:35 PM   #4
RRA Man223

i live in eastern NC, thanks for the info so far.
Old March 10, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Shell

Location: sometimes southeast ohio when not trying to relocate
uncles' wisdom

My uncle told me a long time ago, when you find the hole, go out next morning before light, wait with your pistol and get him when he comes out. He hunted for the family, so I expect he knows what he's talking about. He likes groundhog, if he can find someone to cook it.
Old March 11, 2005, 09:37 PM   #6
Ancient Mariner

I agree with above on where to find them and the time of day to hunt them. I usually do better in the AM. In PA they aren't much good to eat before mid July because of having their young. They are vegetarians. When cleaning them there are yellow sections of fat like material under the legs and along the back that we call "wild meat". These should be cut out when you clean them as it tends to add a unpleasant taste. They are excellent eating and we usually fry them like chicken.