The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 1, 2014, 09:32 PM   #26
Slamfire

The only reason I keep my GI carbine is that it keeps on increasing in value. I don't shoot Carbines any more. Rotten trigger pulls, rotten accuracy, low power. My post WW2 sights can't be zeroed at 100 yards for elevation. I can push the aperature between hundred yard graduations, but the thing won't stay and slides after recoil. Windage is either one half MOA, for a click, then four MOA next click.

My club has a M1 carbine match and I won't shoot one in it because I won't shoot a rifle in competition that is so inaccurate that I am totally frustrated when I am done.
Old July 2, 2014, 05:34 AM   #27
hodaka

You must have one with a problem. I have two that often put 5 on a Post-it note, 2 1/2 inches, at 100 from a bench with my reloads. I would have never guessed they were accurate but they can be.
Old July 2, 2014, 06:57 AM   #28
Hawg

I've got a Universal my dad bought in 69. It got a lot of hard use when I was a kid. I did have to polish the feed ramp to get it to feed soft points but it was reliable after that and pretty accurate. Haven't shot it in years tho.
Old July 2, 2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
but people pay that much for a 1930s military and police thats completely worn out and needing a new barrel.
I'm curious who you hang out with. The last HE M&P 4th Change I bought has a worn exterior but is 100% completely (entirely, no issues) functional and an absolute joy to shoot... and I paid $275 for it. That was less than a year ago. Serial number dates it to 1917.
Old July 4, 2014, 01:22 AM   #30
Brotherbadger

I've always wanted either a Carbine or a Garand. I'll get one soon, hopefully.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 5, 2014, 09:33 PM   #31
shurshot1

I had the M1 Carbine craze for awhile but after months of research and looking around, decided the new ones were not worth it and the old ones were worth it but too expensive. Did you check out the recent articles in Shotgun News? Lots of great info in there. Anyway, I got tired of looking and picked up a beautiful French MAS 49./56 semi instead!!!
Old July 8, 2014, 01:55 AM   #32
Hook686

Different strokes for different folks. In the USAF I qualified with the M1 Carbine, M2 Carbine and then M16. Personally of the three I liked the M1 Carbine the best and shot it better than the others. It wasn't on California's 'Assault rifle' ban list and nostalgia took its toll. I bought four Inlands and two Underwoods. One for each of my children, grandsons and one for me. Much like the army view, most people will shoot the little carbine much better than a handgun. It certainly is true for me. It is easier for everybody to shoot than a shotgun. As a home defense weapon I think it very good. Your mileage may vary, but that and the fond memories of having a piece of history that I pass on to my children and their children makes my day and is worth every penny I paid.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 8, 2014, 12:48 PM   #33
RickB

I shot my Carbine in 3-gun competition for a few years.
Shots out to 150 yards were a piece of cake.
Try hitting a humanoid target, quickly, at 150 yards with a handgun, and it's pretty obvious that hitting something with a long gun is much easier than hitting that same thing with a handgun.
When distances got out to 300-400 yards, I think it would be prudent to save your ammo! I was not able to score hits on 12" steel plates, which is little surprise when you figure the Carbine is a 3MOA gun; shooting 12" groups, engaging a 12" target, doesn't leave much (any) wiggle room.
Old July 8, 2014, 08:33 PM   #34
amd6547

M1 carbine at 300yqds:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozvYaxr6iQ
Old July 9, 2014, 12:17 PM   #35
RickB

Good shooting.
Old July 9, 2014, 07:49 PM   #36
mardanlin

I picked up a GM carbine a few years back for $600 and it was immaculate. I see them in that range at local gun shows all the time. I saw one a few months ago for $550 but its furniture was a little rough.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:10 PM   #37
Cossack

OP - last time I looked Auto Ordnance was selling the adjustable late model rear sight on their website. They may have had the bayonet lug barrel band, but I don't recall.

GI Bayonet lug barrel bands aren't hard to find :http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251567168665?lpid=82

Fulton Armory also has parts, includign several types of sights and barrel bands. Most GI parts (not all) will go on the Kahr/Auto Ordnance guns. The point is that it shouldn't be hard to configure your rifle however you want it, even down to some folding plastic horror if that suits you. Sure, it's no AR, but the parts are out there do do quite a few things.

I used to have an AO carbine-it was reliable and fun, but I sold it. I've been jonesing for another ever since! I know the guns and ammo are a bit ridiculous now, but there's nothing else quite like them - and they're not likely to get any cheaper.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:43 PM   #38
9uc

The first three years of my AF career was in the Security Police. When I returned to the States from Vietnam in late '68, the AF was so short on M-16s, we were issued M-2's. Absolutely fell in love with it and liked it far better than the M-16. Six years ago I got the chance to pick up a 1943 Inland M1 for $50 bucks from the estate of a friend. It had been sportsterized with updated sights, patched or filled in sling hole, high gloss finish and removal of the sling holder on the barrel band. To coin a word, I un-sportsterized it. Took me a couple of years to find the parts I needed, especially an originally marked and finished Inland stock. I have the original style sights, but will need to take it back to a gunsmith to have them installed. As the only other rifle I have is a never fired Ruger 10/22, the Inland is now my primary.
Then said He unto them.... he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
RetiredUSAF,
Life Mrb NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW