The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
zombietactics

Can we PLEASE stop doing this?

Just a pet peeve ...

Every time a discussion of "racking the slide" comes up ... people constantly use the terms "slingshoting" and "overhand" (or "powerstroke") as though they mean the same thing. They don't.

The "powerstroke/overhand" method involves cupping the suppport hand over the slide and forcefully pulling the slide rearwards. This is NOT "slingshoting"

"Slingshoting" is where you turn the handgun on its side (in the same manner that high-level slingshot shooters hold a slingshot), and then pinch the rear of the slide in the manner that one grasps the pocket or pad of a slingshot.

Yes, this will not alter the course of human civilization, but understanding these terms will make it possible to have a coherent conversation regarding the techniques to which they refer.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old January 19, 2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Mannlicher

I am glad we have cleared that up.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 19, 2014, 07:11 PM   #3
itchy1

This sounds like it could be almost as serious as the whole magazine VS clip scandal!
Sorry, couldn't help myself
Old January 19, 2014, 07:19 PM   #4
UncleEd

Sorry, but the magazine vs. clip scandal pales in comparison to how we whip our slides.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Crankgrinder

People seem to have unusually strong feelings about this subject. A while back I started one similar about the slide stop/slide release and which method is best in its use and after many pages on that subject I don't believe anybody could come up with any reason or any proof as to why its better to "slingshot". What I got out of it at the time was that it seems best to let the piece decide. 1911- use the "slingshot", beretta- drop the slide.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Is it faster to slingshot a clip full of bullets than it is to fill the cylinder of a pistol from a speed loader.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombietactics
Just a pet peeve ...

Every time a discussion of "racking the slide" comes up ... people constantly use the terms "slingshoting" and "overhand" (or "powerstroke") as though they mean the same thing. They don't.
How odd. I've lost track of how many "gun" forums I've participated in and how many years I've been doing so. I can't recall one single instance of anyone EVER expressing the notion that slingshotting is the same as overhand racking.

Not once. Ever.

I have also never heard/seen the overhand method of racking referred to as "powerstroking."

Not once. Ever. (Until your post.)
Old January 19, 2014, 08:54 PM   #8
Dragline45

Someones missed their morning coffee.
Old January 19, 2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Guv

Does a gun Run or Shoot? Always thought an engine would Run and a gun would Shoot.
Old January 19, 2014, 09:33 PM   #10
LockedBreech

Internet gun forums are educational and helpful but are also pretty funny. There are so very many controversies I never knew existed before forums. I didn't know it mattered which way the slide was racked, I didn't know .40 was considered snappy, I didn't know people debate about Glock like people debate about religion and politics....so many arguments of which I was unaware.

If it weren't for the thousand and one helpful little things I've learned on forums, I'd say I was probably better off before.
Old January 19, 2014, 09:33 PM   #11
saleen322

Engines run, guns shoot, and pulling the slide back and releasing it is generally referred to as slingshotting as opposed to thumbing the lever. Ford has a copyright on Powerstoke and while it is a fine diesel engine, it has nothing to do shooting. Time to close the thread................
Old January 19, 2014, 09:59 PM   #12
USMCGrunt

I just use the slide release like it was designed for.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:03 PM   #13
zombietactics

Quote:
I have also never heard/seen the overhand method of racking referred to as "powerstroking."
Seriously? It's a very common bit of terminology ... one example, for instance:

Travis Haley LINK

Seems to be a common term .... LINK
Old January 19, 2014, 10:25 PM   #14
ParabellumJ

Powerstroke is not new, and slingshot is not powerstroke. These terms are common and refer to different actions. Just because you may not be aware of this don't disregard the difference.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Bob Wright

Why does anyone want to "rack the slide" in the first place?

Lock the slide open, insert magazine, press slide release. Is that difficult?

Forgive me, I'm an old sixgun man.

Bob Wright
Old January 19, 2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
How odd. I've lost track of how many "gun" forums I've participated in and how many years I've been doing so. I can't recall one single instance of anyone EVER expressing the notion that slingshotting is the same as overhand racking.

Not once. Ever.

Not once. Ever. (Until your post.)
It happened here I believe recently a couple of times on a recent thread.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:32 PM   #17
shortwave

Slingshot, powerstroke, overhand, racking, whipping our slides, magazines, clips, shoot, run, snappy, recoil, felt recoil, high grip , low grip, breath control, hold control, trigger control, Isosceles stance, Weaver stance, modified Weaver stance , pistol, revolver, calling a pistol a revolver, then we have the media referring to the shotgun as an assault weapon and talking about extended magazines....

...I'm soooo confused.

Quote:
Why does anyone want to "rack the slide" in the first place?
Slingshotting, powerstroking, overhanding, racking and whipping our slides are done at different times when shooting a semi auto. Such as if you have a full mag. but are setting on an empty chamber and the slide is closed. Or if you have a jam and need to clear the pistol. Or if you have a semi auto in which the slide does not stay back after you run through one mag and reload another. These are just a few instances in which the slide release(aka slide lock...more confusion) would not always be used.

Last edited by shortwave; January 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:40 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have been "into" guns for a while now, and until the internet I don't recall folks inventing new methods and new terminology every microsecond. For some strange reason we just did things that had to be done without minute instructions from self-appointed experts. During WWII, a few million soldiers in several colors of uniform learned to use auto pistols (OK, not the Brits, mostly) without a bit of help from the internet. Maybe it was all a myth.

Jim
Old January 19, 2014, 10:44 PM   #19
Kev

Popcorn....get yer Popcorn here!!!

Different strokes for different folks
Me, I could care less on what my method is called
What I do care about is safety. Get your round chambered any way that works for you, pointed down range and away from me shooting in the stall next to you.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:55 PM   #20
cheezhed

I slingshot and power stroke, just depends on the mood I am in. I love the way that some people insist calling something what they define as correct. Just to razz a person of that ilk I would refer to the cylinder of my revolver as a clip.
It would aggravate him to no end.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:56 PM   #21
DannyB1954

People who think they know it all really do upset those of us who do know it all.

Anytime there is a slang term it is open to interpretation. Even racking the slide is slang. What does a rack have to do with a gun? Just because you think a slang term means what you think it means, doesn't mean it really does. So if you insist that others use a term in the same context as you wish, That makes you a wishful thinker. The world in general will refuse to abide by your rules.

Last edited by DannyB1954; January 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:56 PM   #22
ParabellumJ

I'm curious how many people on these forums who are free to lend their advise and opinion actually train with firearms. And by train I don't mean you own a few guns and occasionally go the the range to shoot as a hobby. And I don't mean you stand in a lane and practice your marksmanship to see if you can get some really nice groups. By train I mean you pay for professional instruction over the course of one or several days on how to fight with your pistol and/or rifle, the proper way to manipulate those weapons and why those techniques are used. By reading the comments on many of these threads I would guess not many. So before you brush someone off and say what's the difference because you don't know better, consider that maybe the other guy does.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:04 PM   #23
mete

And the so called "dust cover " of a 1911 is NOT a dust cover. Sadly even the gun companoies are mis-calling it !
Old January 19, 2014, 11:06 PM   #24
CajunBass

Quote:
I am glad we have cleared that up.
Me too. I don't know how much sleep I've lost over this very subject.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 19, 2014, 11:07 PM   #25
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is there always a "proper" way to "manipulate" a firearm? Is it "wrong" to do something differently from the way someone else does it? If I choose to retract the slide of an auto pistol by grasping it between thumb and forefinger am I committing a sin if that method works for me? If I choose to shoot a handgun with one hand, and can hit that way, why should I be concerned with the opinion of some "combat expert" whose shooting has been confined to a keyboard?

Jim