The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 17, 2010, 07:49 AM   #1
CCGS

What pistols to stock, new dealer

I am finishing the FFL process and Im starting to think about an inventory list... what pistols do you all think would sell the best. This is not the 'what is the best pistol thread' just what has everyone seen flying off the shelves...

thanks in advance
Old February 17, 2010, 08:01 AM   #2
sserdlihc

In S.C.

Funny thing, I was at my local gun shop and I asked the owner the same question. He let me know that he can't keep the Browning Buckmarks, Walther p22's and High Points in stock. I asked him about Glocks, SA XD line and 1911's He said that he doesn't have a problem keeping them in stock. He doesn't invest in "high end" 1911's (to him anything over a grand is high end). He had a few SA mil-specs in his case.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
7east

Definitely Springfield GI's and Milspecs. I'm in Northern VA and I haven't seen one last longer than a week on the shelf at my local range/shop. M&P's and XDM's seem to go really quick as well.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Dustin0

The best seller I see leaving the shop are XD, XDM, and Taurus. But theres not alot of problems keeping them in stock.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:12 AM   #5
kat1950

I think it depends on your location, what sells here in florida fast would not sell elsewhere as fast.
Old February 17, 2010, 09:25 AM   #6
SundownRider

^+1
Do some research and find out what local competitions there are and how well they are attended. IDPA and IPSC shooters will be looking for certain things, while a large crowd of CAS shooters will be looking for something else. A small variety of low, medium, and higher prices guns will serve the needs of most people. Be willing to order anything! Always assure your customers that you can get whatever they want, as long as they know exactly what they are looking for.
It would not hurt to have a small case dedicated to guns that would be attractive to first time gun owners and female shooters.

Always smile and remember these simple rules:
1. Smile
2. Be there
3. Make their day
4. Have fun.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old February 17, 2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Locoweed

A large local dealer recently told me that his perennial best sellers are the High-Point line of pistols. Another local gun shop specializes in Taurus revolvers and they sell a whole lot of them. There are plenty of customers out there who want a handgun but don't have big money to spend. I would certainly stock a line of lower priced handguns.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:06 AM   #8
FreakGasolineFight

All good advice.

If it were me I'd get a lot of Hi-Points, a variety of Tauri, a smattering of Glocks, XD's, and XDm's, perhaps an M&P or two, perhaps two or three Sigs, a couple Smith/Ruger revolvers, and maybe a couple RIA 1911's. I've never seen an RIA in a gunshop before, but I bet they'd sell like handwarmers on the north pole.

Where are you opening up? I'd love to see more gun stores in eastern Ohio. I have like two to choose from where I am.

EDIT: Never mind that last bit, noticed your location.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:13 AM   #9
oneounceload

What's the demand for? Small, CCW guns? a mixture of semis and revolvers in that genre. Folks want plinking/range guns? Go accordingly.

As a new dealer, you will most likely be facing ordering a few at a time, typically COD from a distributor; result being you may or may not be able to get the ones "flying off the shelf" unless you start buying in larger quantities to become what is euphemistically called a "Master Dealer".

One thing - whatever you decide to carry, make sure you have the necessary accessories like ammo, cases/holsters, etc. Nothing kills a sale of a gun if you don't have the ammo.

Good luck!
Old February 17, 2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Fishslayer

The RIA 1911s don't seem to stay in my local shop very long. And they already have a pretty strong internet rep. That one leaps to mind.

The Ruger GP100 seems to be popular.

The plastic tacticool stuff, of course...
Old February 17, 2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Delaware_Dan

Don't forget rimfires, or ARs and AKs. Ruger P-Series seem to sell pretty good.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:00 PM   #12
crghss

Anything under $500.

I'm a paper puncher and hunting kind of firearm guy. I have friends who are primarily conceal carry guys. But since we own firearms people invariably come to us for advise on what weapon they should purchase.

Well we tell them what we think about the what's and why's of different firearms. Something that is repeatedly posted out here.

And what do they buy? Polymer of some type for under $500.
Old February 17, 2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Scorch

Really, it's up to you who you decide to cater to. You can sell a lot of the cheapies, but then you have to deal with the people who wnat to buy those. You can choose to go high-end like SIG or Colt, but you will sell far fewer of them. IME, a mix of middle of the road will sell best, and you can alway have a few high-end for people to fondle, and cheapies for people to buy and not brag about.

Ruger 22 Mk III
Ruger semiauto pistols
Browning Buckmark
Browning Hi Power
1911 clones (pick whatever flavor you like)
Glock (almost de rigeur for any gun shop anymore)
Taurus revolvers
Ruger Redhawk
Ruger GP 100 revolvers
Ruger Vaquero
S&W revolvers
Old February 17, 2010, 02:00 PM   #14
michael t

Bersa hot seller in 250 to 400 range
Taurus autos 1911 slow mover
KelTec all of them
Springfield and S&W 1911 sell very well
Colts when he gets them gone in few days
Ruger in 22
Has moved maybe 1/2 LCP since they came out
1 SIG in 380 No sig sells well in my area.

He has Taurus S&W and couple Charter arms in revolvers

AR_15's under a grand
Savage rifles and some Rugers

One last thing we wouldn't buy but has 1 show case of cheap Davis type pistols derringers in 22 32 380 and 9mm ect. many people want a gun any gun and price is a factor . He sells more of these than about any thing else. Remember your their to make money . So what you like might not sell . Its bottom line not personal taste
He is a small dealer in a small town but draws people form all around area selection and price I spend 2 or 3 days a week in the store and see what sells and what doesn't .
He also always has a good selection of used revolvers and autos

You need lots of accessories , ammo, and scopes and ability to do minor gunsmithing mounting of scopes on bought rifles and bore sighting for free no matter where gun bought . Hunting season he is checking scopes for free and that has made him many a sell. Check scope bux a box of ammo while their
Old February 17, 2010, 02:40 PM   #15
JameyPrice

I'll echo what a few others have said: my local shops rarely have Browning Buckmarks in stock, and when they do get them they don't seem to last very long. Cabela's is about Tue only place you can count on, and they normally only have 2, maybe 3 types/finishes handy.

Good luck!

Jamey
Old February 17, 2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Webleymkv

It depends greatly on your area and clientele. One shop here in my town sells mainly low-priced guns: Hi-Points, Skky's, Milsurps, etc. and the few higher-end guns that they have sit in the case for months if not years. Yet another establishment half an hour away deals more in higher end merchandise: Wilson Combat and Nighthawk 1911's, New S&W revolvers, the occasional Colt, etc. and the few lower-end guns that he has (mainly trade-ins) sit in the case for months if not years.

I'd suggest getting a good variety and reordering what sells the best. One thing that seems to be true of most shops in my area, small CCW-oriented handguns like J-Frame revolvers and small .380's seem to sell rather well as do tactical rifles like AR-15's and AK derivatives.
Old February 17, 2010, 03:50 PM   #17
Big Bill

Stoeger Cougar in 9mm and 40, Ruger (expecially the 22/45 and security six convertables), Kel Tec, FNH, CZ, S&W Sigmas etc., Taurus, Charter (for sure), Hi-Point, Bersa, Rossi...
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 17, 2010, 06:39 PM   #18
dakota223

Order by your area's economical standards if your in bad economical city. Stick with the lower retail price arms and ones that you can turn quickly. Then work your way up to a few nices ones, remember selling one 1911 is nice but selling 20 hipoints may keep your lights on in the shop!
Old February 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #19
IDAHO83501

Glock, XD,XDM, FNP,1911 Springfield, Ruger revolvers, a few CZ's, A few Bersa .380's, Browning Buckmark .22, Ruger Charger 10-22, Kel-tec plr-16
Old February 17, 2010, 07:07 PM   #20
fisherman66

I'm generally okay with waiting for a special order delivery, unless I'm looking for used guns or exceptionally stocked walnut rifles. Personally, I don't mind putting my money down up front either if I am making a special order.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:02 PM   #21
pacerdude

As many others have suggested:
Glocks, XD's, M&Ps, Taurus, S&W both pistols and revolvers, Springfield 1911s, Browning Buckmarks, and Browning Hi-Powers. CZ's, FN's, variety of Ruger revolvers and pistols, Hi-Points, RIA 1911's, Beretta's, maybe a couple of Sigs and H&Ks.

But I second the idea to go for the medium price range for the majority of your stuff.

Good Luck!
Old February 17, 2010, 08:41 PM   #22
03Shadowbob

Right now, today? Any and every pocket gun in .380 and as much 380 ammo as you could buy, cheaper 1911s like Citadels and RIAs, Glock 17s and 19s, Mossberg 500s and Remy 870s in home defense setups, Keltec PF9s, lower end ARs like Olympic Double stars etc..
Old February 17, 2010, 09:59 PM   #23
hot sauce

Police trade ins seem to move pretty quick around here.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #24
PBjafa

Not

Interesting what is Not on people lists.
Only saw Beretta mentioned above once.

Can't say I ever cared for them much myself, but I would have rather expected there would be more love for them.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:49 PM   #25
hometheaterman

I thought it was interesting that a small local shop here told me that High Points were the pistols they sold the most of.