The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1
mattgreennra

Sportsmen's Warehouse

I've heard alot about Sportsmen's Warehouse or some such here. I need a place to buy reloading supplies for cheap because I can't afford to buy enough powder online to offset the hazmat.

I live in Columbus, Ohio and there are none of these stores in Ohio. I used to goto Cabelas to get reloading stuff, but they jacked their prices through the roof.

What stores can I get reloading stuff @ for cheap? The local gun shop, Vance's SS, has Varget for $20 a lb and primers for $25 for 1k. This prices are alright, but I can would love to save more.
Old April 23, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2
James A. Mullins

I live in Washington State, and its the same here. Midway or MidSouth mail order is what I use. Guess Bush's war is running up the cost. I do try to get some friends to order bulk, and split by 4/5 of us isn't to bad.
James
Old April 23, 2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Keenan Goss

Mattgreennra, I live in Lexington Kentucky, and a new Sportsmans Warehouse is opening May 12, right off I 75 at the 110 mile marker. If your ever going south, you should stop by.
Old April 23, 2007, 09:08 AM   #4
JWT

James, according to their site there is a Sprtsmans Warehouse in Vancouver, WA and Lacey, WA.

The one in Tucson has very good prices on firearms and ammunition as well as all other shooting supplies and I assume their other stores do too. Their prices are much better than Cabelas based on the comparisions I've done.
Old April 23, 2007, 09:09 AM   #5
CrustyFN

Try Powder Valley or Graf & Sons. Graf's will ship powder and primers together so there is only the one hazmat fee and their shipping is free. If you buy in quantity you should be able to do fairly good.
Rusty
Old April 23, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
kingudaroad

Matt

Have you tried "The Powder Room" in Powell, Ohio?

http://www.powderrm.com/
Old April 23, 2007, 02:27 PM   #7
cheygriz

Those that I have visited in Colorado, and Idaho are as high as the "mom & Pop" gun stores. Good selection, but full, and I do mean FULL MSRP! No bargains there.
Old April 23, 2007, 05:25 PM   #8
mattgreennra

I shoot at the powder room, their prices for components are high though. Also, I must be retarded, i've seen powder valley before when I was looking for bullets, didn't check their prices for powder, so much for gamaliel shooting supplies. Go cheapness. Thanks for saving me some $$
Old April 23, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
T-Mac

As far as Cabelas goes...they have decent selection. However, I can buy almost any reloading components cheaper at local sporting goods stores than from Cabelas.
On a recent trip I hit a couple of S Ws and I saw better prices at those Sportsman's Warehouses than my local stores.
Old April 23, 2007, 05:58 PM   #10
kingudaroad

I find it hard to believe that Cabelas is so high that you'd prefer to pay hazmat fees. Not to mention the convenience of having it when you want it.
Old April 23, 2007, 06:12 PM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
James, according to their site there is a Sprtsmans Warehouse in Vancouver, WA and Lacey, WA
I'm not sure about the Sportsmans Warehouse in Vancouver, but the one in Lacey, WA is scheduled to open in October 2007. In the Tacoma area, we also have Sportco. Prices are about the same as Midway, but no shipping charges.
Old April 23, 2007, 06:33 PM   #12
hodaka

I have been using Sportsman's Warehouse in San Antonio for powder and primers. Cabela's is also an option as is Bass Pro. SW beats them all with powder prices about with Natchez without the hazmat and shipping fee. They have a good selection although everything related to this hoby has jumped up this year.
Old April 23, 2007, 06:39 PM   #13
mrawesome22

Matt, have you tried Buckeye Outdoors in Heath? That's where I get my powder and primers. There component selection is limited, but they have a great powder and primer selection.

Quote:
Vance's SS, has Varget for $20 a lb and primers for $25 for 1k. This prices are alright, but I can would love to save more.
These are the prices you are going to pay just about anywhere though. Unless you buy online, then it will be double because of all the fees.

Another thing, prices on bullets and brass are up EVERYWHERE. Online, in stores, everywhere. When I started loading .22-250Rem last year, 100pcs of Win brass was $14.99 at Buckeye, now it's $27.99
Old April 23, 2007, 07:02 PM   #14
Vinnie's Dad

Sportsmen Warehouse is a nice store, we have 2 of them here, depending what you are looking for. I have gotten some good buys there, but I still shop around for the best deals these days
Old April 23, 2007, 07:02 PM   #15
eon_shift

Any reloading stores in Canada?

well ilive in Canada so i dont have choices like sportsmans warehouse does anyone know where there is a good place to go in canada more specifically within 2 hrs. of Toronto Ontario
Old April 23, 2007, 08:09 PM   #16
mattgreennra

Buckeye outdoor is partnered w/ Vances SS in Columbus, so their prices are the same. For powder they have pretty good prices, but primers are $25 which is alot.

Cabelas SUCKS nowadays, the one in Dundee raised Titegroup from $18 to mid twenties. Varget was $26.99 last time I checked. Primers are no longer $17.99 either, they were over twenty. If I buy about $150-200 bucks worth of stuff I save money compared to cabelas, their prices are just terrible now.
w/ respect to Vance's I need to buy like $225 to break even, after that it's all money saved.
Powdervalleyinc.com does have the lowest prices i've ever seen (recently, inlcuding pro gun shows.) I'll buy from there soon when I use up the 500 LP primers I have left.