The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2002, 11:48 AM   #26
Bogie

Heh - my practice targets fit in a notebook, and have room for 10 groups on 'em.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old December 4, 2002, 08:46 AM   #27
Kalindras

Ha!!

Oh, that's nothing!!

My practice target is the size of a quarter (well, it IS a quarter, actually), and it fits in my pocket!!

Even better, I've been using the same, pristine quarter, for years!! *rimshot*

Old December 5, 2002, 11:44 AM   #28
Ayteeone

Lots of stories... thanks for sharing, folks...

A scary one - bird and rabbit hunting with my cousin one day. We come up empty handed (mostly due to my inability to hit with a shotgun) and head home. Sitting in his bedroom we are feeling macho and start playing soldier with an AR lookalike in .22. I swing the gun onto him and reach for the trigger, believing it to be empty (no mag, slide had been racked). The Rules kick in and I swing it off of him just before clicking... only it doesn't click, it deafens us with the bang. The fear-induced adrenaline dump was only matched by having to explain to my uncle why there was a hole in the wall of his new house...

On a deployment to Turkey I wandered in to a local gunshop in Eskisher. (Fabulous gold shopping there, ladies!) Seeing a 1911 looking thing under the glass I ask to see it, and the old man in the place sends his 10yr old (grandson?) to fetch it out. The kid willingly complies, but as he pulls it up it is pointed at my chest, safety off, finger on the trigger. The thoughts that ran through my head in the next few fractions of a second would fill a novel... while I am wondering if I have just found one of those many places that dislike americans, training takes over and my hands disarm the kid and attempt to clear the weapon. I say attempt because it turned out to be a very good quality replica airgun... The kid squeaked and I set the thing down, hands shaking. I looked up at the 4 men in the place who were suddenly staring at me, said thank you and beat a hasty retreat out of there.

Last edited by Ayteeone; December 5, 2002 at 05:05 PM.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:10 PM   #29
woodland

Well, a couple stories from my garnd father: When they were kids, their dad was gone so they got out the 22 to play with. One of the brothers aimed it at the head of another one, playing cowboys and indians, pulled the trigger, and it clicked as the hammer dropped. The he cycled the action, and out comes a live round, that just happened to be a dud. Actually, it wasn't a dud, because they later took it outside and reloaded it and it fired. I'd sure be goin to church after that one!

For a stupid but funny one: Another relitive of the same era was walking home from school with friends. One kid had just recently been granted free access to the 22 rifle, so he had a few 22 shells in his pocket. They stopped to eat a snack and while he was eating he was playing with them. Somehow he noticed a small hole in a large boulder he was sitting on that the 22 shell fit into almost like a chamber. Without thinking about what he was doing, he slipped it in the hole, then proceded to pick up a rock and smash it down on the base of the shell sticking out of the hole. Apparently what happened was quite comical to see. The rock in his hand sort of dissolved, and his arms and face and chest were instantly covered with little pock marks and rock chips. After they were sure his eyes were ok, he was the laughing stock for quite awhile.
Old December 7, 2002, 06:08 PM   #30
cz4me

I am shooting at outdoor range with wife and the kids. One other shooter a few lanes down to my right is shooting with his son. Mid 50's guy shows up with his boy to shoot at last lane to the far right. Goes to truck and drags back a homemade clay pigeon launcher, AGAINST POSTED RANGE RULES! I.E. NO THROWN TARGETS AND SHOTSHELL AMMO ALLOWED. Any way, our Darwin possible award winner proceeds to sling pigeons from right to left while his kid trys to make the shot. Needless to say, my tribe and the shooter just to my right back off from the firing line to watch this joker as he is breaking 4 out of 5 clays while trying to throw them out of his contraption. The kid maybe gets 4 shots off out of 18 attempts to launch because they keep breaking in the launcher as the rip cord is pulled. Kids 12 gauge jams or something and I look over to see it pointed back to the left at a 45 degree angle as he is shaking it as if to dump something loose, but it is pointed at me and mine! I yell at him -POINT THAT MUZZLE DOWNRANGE- His dad looks at him mumbles something,then they both pack up and leave. Shooter to my right can't believe what he saw but said I did good to yell at him. Have not taken wife and kids back there since.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:07 AM   #31
Hardtarget

A scary/funny rolled into one. I'm at a range where we shoot 2700 bullseye. Its just our regular Tues. night meet, but we're doing the slow fire segment. One shooter starts withhis pistol pointing straight up, almost duelist fashion. Before he moves he sends a round througe the roof. Sheepishly lowering the pistol to rest the barrel on the bench while looking at the ceiling, he sends his second round through the bench!
To be fair, I think he had tuned that trigger a little too much. I had never seen him do anything to make me nervous. He used a second pistol from that point on...smoth as silk after that.
Mark
Old December 8, 2002, 05:41 PM   #32
sm

I'm on the private range with a petite young lady. She has passed the CHL class, so wants to try various handguns before she buys, while waiting for license to come in.
Guy shows up and has been given permisson to shoot at the range. Ok-quick review of the rules, and range regs and I go back to the lady. I'm standing behind and to the right of student when a Glock comes skittering down the table toward us. I grab the students revolver with my right hand thumbing the cyl open and the same time my left goes around her and picks her up and back.

I safely put the revolver away and the guys says "oops, I slipped, I used Armor All on my Glock". I retrieve his firearm, drop mag an d make safe, he is not to shoot that gun again until Armor All removed. He says he has a J frame. I ask student if she was comfortable with that, she nodded yes. I wash my hands and proceed with the student...again I grab the students gun and move her back as before, as the j frame is now downrange with the hammer back( practicing quickdraw he says). I grab a cell phone call my friend/owner of range to get down her stat! . I take away this guys guns,take the Glock apart, open cyl of j frame and use a cable tie to make sure this gun is safe. Owner shows up, takes the guns away, call the guys dad and said he can come and pick up the guns. Dad later agreed with actions of us all. Son is too anal retentive, mall ninja minded--agreed with us until son proves responsible he is not to handle firearms until extensive education is complete, first time I can recall telling a student they may notattend a CHL class.
We , including his dad called other instuctors and advised no to give CHL instruction. Dad has kept guns, son flunked two firearm safety classes with his attitude. Delusional perhaps, dad is getting the boy treatment.