The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 1999, 09:45 PM   #1
RickC

Has anyone tried the Lee cast slug yet? As best as I can tell from their adds, it is pretty much a sabot so a rifled barrel would be best? Has anyone tried it from a smooth bore to see what it does in terms of accuracy?

Also, Remington makes 2 rifled screw-in chokes. Has anyone any experience with these? Do they help when you're shooting sabots?

Thanks
Old November 16, 1999, 09:56 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dunno about shooting sabots with the Remington Rifled choke tube, but I do use one for Forster type slugs with good results. I get three shots groups @ 50 yards of about 2 1/2 inches.Switching to a smoothbore IC tube opens up the groups considerably.

BTW, shooting shot through a Rifled tube is an exercise in futility.

Cast if you want, but there's lots of good ammo out there and it's not that expensive.
Old November 17, 1999, 06:51 PM   #3
plateshooter

I've cast lots of Lee slugs and Lyman slugs. The trick to the Lee is that you have to use PURE lead or the slug will not come out of the mold. I shot them in a Remington barrel with the rifled tube and killed several deer with them. The Blue dot load in the cheap Remington hulls gave me the best accuracy. Those hulls seem to have a smaller ID than the AAs. The wads also make a great difference in accuracy. The AA yellow wads worked best by far for me. I have loaded some with the std white AA wads and they don't compare in accuracy.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter