The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2013, 10:38 AM   #26
dumbodave

How much will it cost for reloading equipment?

Your marriage, first-born, maybe second-born as well. Every dime you ever make. Your mortgage and every nickle you can ever borrow. It's an addiction! It will consume you! Welcome to the world of Handloading.

Getting started? That's the easy part....
Old February 3, 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
Misssissippi Dave

You can produce more ammo per hour with a CT than you can with a single stage press. It can also be used as a single stage. Most pistol shooters go through a lot more ammo per year than rifle shooters do. This is the main reason to use a faster press for pistol ammo. .223 semi-auto shooters tend to go through a lot more ammo than someone using a bolt action. So the turret might be a better option for those shooting a semi-auto.

Later on if you find you need to produce more ammo per hour, you can look into the progressive presses. Progressives are more expensive and more complicated. Feeding them primers, powder and bullets at the rate they are designed to run is also expensive. Progressive presses are nice to have and make short work of reloading. Most reloaders I have spoken to do not shoot enough to really need a progressive press.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:33 PM   #28
cdbeagle

Quote:
If the intent is to reload for the long haul and you can find bullets and primers, go for it.

If you are trying to get around the lack of available ammo, you may be getting at the back of the line.

check out supplies before you spend a dime.
I have been intending on getting in to reloading for quite a while because of the cost of 6.5x55 and .380 ammo. This new scare made me decide to do it now because my son and I got AR-15's at the beginning of November and .223 ammo if you can find it is way over priced, the same with .380. But if I cannot get brass, bullets, etc. then it is probably better to wait on pulling the trigger on buying the equipment. On the other hand, if I can get powder and primers I can start working on loads for my 6.5x55. I don't know what to do now.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You might as well order the stuff and wait. Waiting to place your order won't get it to you any quicker.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #30
Misssissippi Dave

Some places like Natchez Shooters Supply will still let you put in things on back order. Pistol bullets can still be ordered at Montana Gold and Precision Delta. Expect to have delays. You won't get things faster by waiting to place orders. I would consider getting in an order for Tula primers. They won't be getting used to fill government or police orders orders. I have used them and they seem to work well.

You can also put in back orders at Star Line Brass. Don't be surprised if it takes time to get your orders delivered.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #31
DASHZNT

DILLON.. Its the best, hands down. THE best!

DASHZNT
Old February 3, 2013, 07:29 PM   #32
dickttx

Kind of like asking how much an automobile will cost. Depends on which one and what things you like on it.
And like an automobile, it will end up much more expensive than you can imagine.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:01 PM   #33
Lost Sheep

Automobile Analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickttx
Kind of like asking how much an automobile will cost. Depends on which one and what things you like on it.
And like an automobile, it will end up much more expensive than you can imagine.
Taking the analogy further:

Buying factory ammo vs owning your own car is like taking a taxi whenever/wherever you go.

22 rimfire like taking the bus

Lee Classic Loader (uses a mallet to drive the loading) like owning a bicycle

Single stage like owning your own car, or pickup truck, depending on what model

A good turret like owning an SUV

A decent progressive like owning an Ariel Atom

A top-end progressive like owning Bugatti Veyron

(well, with the Atom and the Veyron, I may be getting hyperbolic, but you get the idea)

Lost Sheep
Old February 3, 2013, 08:02 PM   #34
L2R

don't let us talk you out of it

just understand what you are getting into.

lyman's 49th edition is a necessary book
probably the abc's of reloading should be read before you start.

probably want a chronograph with a tripod to test your loads

if you collect brass at the range, a set of sorting pans from midway

some means of cleaning your brass, vibrator or tumbler.

then a go no go gage to test for 1st bullets

and a scale to measure your powder.

just be prepared to invest what you deem necessary.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Lost Sheep

Shopping sites, alphabetically so avoid favoritism.

http://www.cabelas.com/
http://www.grafs.com/
http://www.fsreloading.com/
http://www.kempfgunshop.com/
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/default.aspx
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=210

But, to include favoritism, Kempfs' Gun Shop. Or FSReloading. But don't mention one to the other.

Lost Sheep
Old February 3, 2013, 08:20 PM   #36
Nathan

The Lyman deluxe turret kit is a good start. That is a lot of calibers! A powder dispenser is nice for loading rifle rounds.

A tumbler is a must. Good calipers too. I think you could start turret loading for one rifle round and be well setup for $500-$600. The other rounds will only require die sets.

You might also consider a simple progressive like the LNL from Hornady.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:40 PM   #37
TXGunNut

Yes, you can reload for a minimal investment. I'd start with the basics as Lost Sheep has outlined and move up or move on to other things depending on your experience. You can also spend as much as you want; I have a bedroom devoted to loading and I'm building a shed to house my casting and case cleaning operation (and mebbe a riding mower or two) so I really don't know (or want to know) how much it's costing me to save money by reloading. I do know I can't buy ammo as good as I'm reloading and feel confident you can learn to do the same, possibly even do it on a budget. I've build up this equipment over decades of loading so these days I squander my money on components and maybe a new mould every now and then. All this equipment revolves around the simple RCBS Jr that I started out with. I've added another Jr for load development and rumor has it there's a well used Dillon 550 lurking hereabouts but there's something about a good single-stage.
And don't believe Peetza's remarks about the choir of angels when he first used his RCBS ChargeMaster. Sounded more like the Bellamy Brothers to me.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; February 3, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:30 PM   #38
cdbeagle

Good point. I plan on ordering Friday. Between then an now I will post questions to make sure I am getting what I need and am not leaving anything out.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #39
cdbeagle

I am going to purchase a Lee Precision CLASSIC TURRET PRESS KIT. Any recommendations on powder scales and brass cleaners?
Old February 3, 2013, 11:30 PM   #40
TXGunNut

Good scales aren't cheap but are money well spent. Still use an old RCBS balance beam scale but they are close to a good electronic scale in price today. I'm on my 2nd PACT scale and will buy another soon but suspect others are as good or better. A cheap scale will drive you nuts or get you hurt.
Unless you have a bunch of nasty brass I wouldn't get in any hurry to buy a case cleaner. Simply deprime, wash, dry. If you must buy one I can tell you my Frankford Arsenal vibratory cleaner has lasted 3-4 times as long as I expected it to last and the walnut shells w/ Hornady One Shot polish have served me well. Been using the same media for several years.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:26 AM   #41
Lost Sheep

Curious: Where from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbeagle
I am going to purchase a Lee Precision CLASSIC TURRET PRESS KIT. Any recommendations on powder scales and brass cleaners?
Did you select a supplier yet? The only kit I know of that doesn't include a scale is Kempf's.

The Lee Scale is inexpensive, but accurate. However it only goes to 110 grains and requires you know how to use a vernier scale. Ohaus makes virtually all other beam scales. The 505 is very popular and reasonably priced, but I have a 10-10 and find it easier to use than the 505. It has a drum on a threaded rod to indicates tenths of grains instead of moving a little weight. Either will do very well for you.

edit: Check out this thread. I just found it, so haven't read it yet, but the forum is pretty reliable, so it will be full of good information on scales.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=700755

Electronic scales are iffy in the lower price range.

Cleaning brass? I can break it down into 5 different methods.

Wet tumbling with stainless steel pins (I have no experience with this method. There might be two varieties, rotary and vibratory.)

Dry Tumbling with a drum-type (rotary) device (like a lapidary rock polisher)

Dry Tumbling with a vibratory tumbler with a cleaning media like crushed walnut shells and such.

Washing with detergent or soap and water

Wiping down with a soft cloth to remove grit.

Any will do.

If you are handy, you can even make brass cleaning tumblers yourself.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 4, 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:41 AM   #42
cdbeagle

Quote:
Did you select a supplier yet? The only kit I know of that doesn't include a scale is Kempf's.
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90304.html
Old February 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #43
CrustyFN

Check out https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41 for the classic turret kit. They don't include the scale but do include one set of dies. I would recommend a good beam scale like RCBS or Dillon. I have only ordered from fsreloading one time and the service was good but I thought the shipping was high. Also the Cabela's tumbler is a great tumbler for the price. I have had mine for six years and works like the day I bought it. Good luck and welcome to reloading.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:51 AM   #44
cdbeagle

I just placed an order with FS for everything but the brass cleaner. The scale was included. I will have dies for the four calibers mentioned. One other thing I guess I will need to buy is a set of calipers.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:05 PM   #45
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That scale is renowned for being very accurate... and difficult to use.

You may find yourself wanting another. If you have the $$, the auto dispensers are unbeatable for rifle rounds. Too slow for handguns. All you need for handguns is a functional, accurate scale to verify the on-press dispenser.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:19 PM   #46
cdbeagle

It comes with the Pro Auto-Disk.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:27 PM   #47
lee n. field

Quote:
If you anticipate never needing to weight anything over 100 grains, the Lee Safety Scale will work fine. It has a reputation for being hard to use.

Past that, my RCBS 505 has been just fine. Don't know what they cost. I got mine under $3.50 at a garage sale. (Bw-ha-ha! I wonder if someone's wife got herself in trouble selling that.)

You do not need to go electronic.

For peace of mind, you'll want to pick up a check weight set sometime.

Brass cleaner. I would say go with this, because the bundle gets you the media separator as well, which is a big time labor saver.

Quote:
One other thing I guess I will need to buy is a set of calipers.
I use Lyman's Dial Caliper. Works well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 4, 2013, 10:49 PM   #48
cdbeagle

My daughter's boyfriend just bought one of these. Would it work for cleaning brass?

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html
Old February 4, 2013, 11:16 PM   #49
zxcvbob

Quote:
My daughter's boyfriend just bought one of these. Would it work for cleaning brass?

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-me...ler-67617.html
It looks like it should work. Might be a little small, though.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:58 AM   #50
cdbeagle

Just bought a RCBS 505 off Ebay and am going to purchase the Frankford Arsenal tumbler mentioned above.