The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Mike / Tx

Looks like I am back in business....

Well seems like months ago when I pulled my Lee 4-20 down, and ordered new parts for it. One thing after another seemed to add up until I finally got everything back up and running last week. I have to say to anyone putting a new pot in their unit, be SURE to use PLENTY of ventilation when you fire it up the first time. WOW what a smell. The wife wasn't impressed at all and I had a fan going an everything. It permeated the shop and wafted through the whole house before it was done. YUK it stunk, to say it nicely.

While I had the pot apart, I also added in some insulation around the sides to try and keep from wasting heat. I had kept some scraps of material we use when reworking the insulation on our boiler burners, which is good for up to around 2K degrees. It is a 1/4" thick mat and I figured it would work out great for just such a project. When i brought up my pot full of lead it seemed to help get things ready in a bit shorter time span than it usually did, but I noticed that the temp seemed to fluctuate a bit more on the PID than normal. That however could simply be from it not being used in so long it was having to burn in so to speak. The insulation I doubt would have anything to do with the way it was swinging, however it could have everything since it holds the heat inside rather than letting the coils cool off faster when the power shuts off.

Anyway, I managed to pour up about 12 pounds worth of the MP-358-360 hollow points, and probably around 5-8 pounds of my new MP 412-360 which I am anxious to try out in my 41. Just something about the shape of those 360 style bullets that I really like. I guess I just got spoiled with the ones I picked up for my 45 Colt, and how well they shoot. The 358 version is popular and I have seen several here who have it as well. I like it a ton and will be sending some out to a newer handgun hunter as a pay it forward deal and hopefully they will bag him a nice deer.

So I will hopefully be putting up some pics soon of the newer 41 versions I have in both the heavy and light. I don't know if they will have the fancy new PC on them or not, but I am getting closer in that I DID pick up my black BB's yesterday. Still not convinced I should give that a go inside or not, especially after the last stink I stirred up around here.

I gotta say that I think i have about run the gamut on the MP molds I should ever need. That is unless he decided to build one in a .401-360 that hits somewhere around 180grs with the large HP and 200 with the solid version. I'm all over that like a duck on a June bug. Other than that, I have been looking hard at a few of the ones in the Accurate catalog and possibly a couple from NEI as well. I just have to get though working up loads for all of the ones I have now, and go form there. Hopefully Beagle will not have them all tied up with orders by that time.....
Old May 31, 2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Beagle333

I think I got most of Miha's designs now, except that he's letting that 45-70 hollow base mold drag on for 3 years
..... so it should be wide open for ya!

I only have 3 Accurate molds. I'm currently building my NOE stock while Swede is in the brass mold making mood.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 5, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
LAH

Quote:
The wife wasn't impressed at all and I had a fan going an everything. It permeated the shop and wafted through the whole house before it was done. YUK it stunk, to say it nicely.
Bought that T-Shirt.
Old June 5, 2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Vance

Some PID's have an autolearning setting to help in set up. If yours has that feature, run it.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:20 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Bought that T-Shirt.
I bet you did, and probably have it in more than one color too...

Good to see you back around. Don't be such a stranger, we miss your input and expertise. Not to mention your good pictures....

Quote:
Some PID's have an autolearning setting to help in set up. If yours has that feature, run it.
Yep it does, and I probably didn't have it on. didn't even think about it. I was just looking to get some bullets poured up, and break in a couple of new molds. Ended up setting the new ones aside and pouring up a batch of the MP 358-360 HP's. Turns out I was down to only about 30 of them. After around 12# worth I should be good for a while though.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:16 PM   #6
LAH

Quote:
I bet you did, and probably have it in more than one color too...

Good to see you back around. Don't be such a stranger, we miss your input and expertise. Not to mention your good pictures....
Getting retired now so maybe I'll have more time.