The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 21, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
chewie146

Sunday October 13th

I figured I'd share my pain from Sunday the 13th.

Today was a day of...incidents. My dad and I hiked in 1/2 hour to a hunting spot, only to find out that the lens of my scope had FALLEN OUT on the way up there...or somewhere. I just happened to check the scope to see how the light transmission was at legal shooting time. Apparently, it sucks with the back lens missing. It wasn't a Leupold, but it wasn't Chinese Wal-Mart scope either.

Well, then we went to my dad's to grab a spare rifle, a Ruger M77 and some -06 ammo. When we got back to the mountains, we found out that the M77 wasn't the one chambered in 30-06. We did get some good views of the Valle in the evening, and we did get some exercise. Thus far, we've seen 1 bull. He was only about 25 yards away! Unfortunately, he didn't have enough points, and wasn't legal. I guess that's why they call it hunting.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Just on general principles, once it gets close to hunt season, a spare box of ammo for any gun I'll likely use will go into the glove box or console. Old-timer's disease can hit at any age.
Old October 22, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3

Once drove an hour and a half to camp for gun opener and realized I had failed to grab my boots. It was a cold that year so..............an awesome three hour round trip boot retrieval lesson was learned.

Stuff happens!!!!

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; October 22, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old October 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
AllenJ

Look at the bright side, at least you did not see a legal bull while in the mountains without a functioning rifle
Old October 22, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
SPEMack618

I once had the pleasure of hearing my little sister complain for three hours; because, someone (mainly me) failed to check that the three boxes of duck loads shoved into the old ammo can were in 2.75 and not 3 inch. Oops.

And what do you know, that old Sportsman 58 was marked "For 2 3/4" shells and smaller."
Old October 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Storm27m

Completely forgot my shotgun one time when going duck hunting. We got to the wetlands and started packing up our gear to head out...saw my buddies get their guns out...doh! It was well into the morning before I was back and in the blind with my shotty.

I feel your pain.
Old October 23, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
chewie146

Heck it was still a fun hunt. This is one of those things that ticks you off at the time, but you remember for years to come. "Remember that time..."
Old October 23, 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Grizz12

Where are you hunting in NM? I used to chase elk in 15a and up north in Dulce, I think that was unit 5?

I sure do miss those days
Old October 23, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
SPEMack618

Quote:
Completely forgot my shotgun one time when going duck hunting. We got to the wetlands and started packing up our gear to head out...saw my buddies get their guns out...doh! It was well into the morning before I was back and in the blind with my shotty.

I feel your pain.
I told her that she could practice her leading on the ducks we saw if she wanted.

I swear, I would have never though a 14/15 year old girl could deliver such a withering look.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #10
chewie146

5 is just northwest of us. We're sitting in unit 6C. I've hunted 5b, and that's rough country up there. Lots of lions, from what I hear. We're inundated with bears this year down here, but the season limits didn't increase, so as soon as the dog hunters got out there, it closed. Up by Dulce, there are 51 and 52. Tres Piedras has good hunting, as does 51. Last year, 4 buddies of mine from work hunted 51 with 8 tags. 4 bear tags and 4 elk tags went up there, and 2 empty elk tags came back. That's during the bow season, so no dogs. The drought brought the bears to the water.

If you go to wildlife.state.nm.us, you can take a look at the unit maps of your old stomping grounds.