The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 31, 2010, 11:17 PM   #1
mcw3734

Looking for big game backpack/meat hauler

Now that I’m doing more off-the-beaten-path hunting for elk and deer, I’m in the market for a new backpack for hauling my day stuff, but will also shine when it comes to packing meat out. I’ve seen a few out there that even have sleeves for your rifle and seem to be specially made for hauling meat, but I was hoping some folks might have experience to pass along. The packs I’ve seen aren’t cheap, so recommendations would be reassuring. Thanks!
Old January 31, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
knoxville

Idaho were at? I have had a few bags in my day and thats all i do is pack in and pack out i would recommend the eberlestock x-1 it's well worth the money and has a built in gun scabbord and you can order the bow carrier attachment and is big enough to put meat in and washable
Old January 31, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
grubbylabs

I have a kelty day pack that I "think" will work fine. I have yet to have to use it. I have been lucky on the animals I have shot in that they have been very close to the road. I can't see packing a doe.

The one elk I shot was my first archery kill and again I was lucky I was in Island park and we were barely of the road when they came running to us.

Other than that I have had good luck with the large hairy ones that you feed hay to. They seem to do a nice job and are easy to clean
Old January 31, 2010, 11:55 PM   #4
mcw3734

Ap

Knoxville – I’m over in Boise.

Up until now I’ve just been using a quality fanny pack and then grabbing this beat up old external frame pack after that for the quarters. Have to strap the meat in using my raft’s cam straps… ya… I know, it’s time for me to invest.

But I’m hoping to find one pack that is light (and quiet) enough to hike around all day with and still be excellent for packing out quarters. One of the guys at our camp last year had a good one (can’t remember the brand), and he said the money was worth it. I’ve looked briefly that the Cabela’s Alaskan Guide packs, and they seem well made for the backpack hunter in mind. But I’m sure there are others out there.

I just Googled your eberlestock pack. Definitely bookmarking this site. Thanks!
Old February 1, 2010, 12:27 AM   #5
knoxville

mcw- that eberlestock is also backed with a life time guarantee and i can tell you know you can pack more meat than one can carry
Old February 1, 2010, 01:01 AM   #6
mcw3734

Eberlestock packs

Ya, and they seem to be based right here in Boise. Sold!

Thanks for the reply Knoxville & grubbylabs. I guess Idaho hunters are the only ones actually getting off the road and hunting, huh?

(YA…. I SAID IT!)
Old February 1, 2010, 01:09 AM   #7
grubbylabs

What do you mean of the road all the elk I bugle at here the truck door slam first.

J/K I try to get as far from the road as possible. I like to see just how far I can take my fat hind end. I don't get there fast but I get there.
Old February 1, 2010, 09:21 AM   #8
knoxville

ya i had some boys from illinoise pokin around the trailhead i usually walk in on to go elk hunting them literally got out shut the doors and started bugling like a herd bull defending 50 head of cows right there on the road oh man it was funny. The next day i called one in he said he hike about a mile straight up hill funny thing i knew it was him comin he bugled every thirty seconds. out o staters watchin Primos again :}
Old February 1, 2010, 09:59 PM   #9
grubbylabs

I was in Island Park two years ago and I called in two set of out of state hunters, both came in there vehicles. I found a water hole that was kinda out of the way but not overly, and I saw one elk in there earlier in the day so I went back there that night and I herd them calling so I decided to mess with them a little bit
Old February 2, 2010, 11:39 AM   #10
davlandrum

Truck door slammin followed immeadiatly by bugling seems to be a common thing. We hear it all the time on the Oregon coast hunting Roosevelts, which are not known for responding to bugling much anyway.

My buddy and me were deep down by a creek and heard some crashing coming down the hill. Thought it might be some cows, so we split up and hunkered down. After a few minutes the crashing stops and we hear "TRY THAT COW CALL AND SEE IF ANYTHING ANSWERS" "squeak...."

The yelling was several times louder than the call

Sorry, didn't address the OP. We still do exactly what you currently do - have hunting packs and keep the frame packs at camp until needed. With all the logging roads in western Oregon, we have not needed them yet. We also have access to 1,000 ft of rope, which comes in handy for our area.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 10, 2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Mobuck

I used a packframe similar to one sold by Cabelas as The Alaskan(I think that's it anyway). Full metal packframe with good support and hip belt. I killed a cow elk 3 1/2 miles from the trailhead and it took 4 trips to get her out to the road. That's 35 miles by the way counting the trip made while hunting. I'm not sure I'd use this frame for hunting since it is noisy. Later, I got a flexible frame,fleece bag unit that it lots better for hunting but still use the Alaskan for packing meat. If we got an animal, we tried to get it into a suitable spot and gut it and if time allowed skin/quarter it and take the liver and/or tenderloins out as we returned to our vehicle. Return next day with meat bags, saw, and packframe for the meat.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:53 AM   #12
elkman06

Quote:
getting off the road and hunting, huh?
Oh brother,,, Idaho is kinda flat, right?
LOL
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old February 15, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Atroxus

I am curious does anyone know if there would be anything wrong with making an improvised stretcher to haul game out of the woods? For example cuting down a couple small maple or alder saplings and putting a tarp or pack frame between them, then loadign it up and dragging it out?
Old February 15, 2010, 12:13 PM   #14
elkman06

Quote:
cuting down a couple small maple or alder saplings and putting a tarp or pack frame between them, then loadign it up and dragging it out?
It's called a travois(sp) and was used successfully for a few millenia by Native Americans,,etc.
That being said, I have a bicycle wheeled, low slung cart made of aluminum which works exceedingly well.
Cabelas makes/sells a similar item which would be very good. It folds up unlike mine, kind of a neat feature.
elkman06

Old February 15, 2010, 12:49 PM   #15
davlandrum

Atroxus,

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't see the gain. You are still holding the bulk of the weight, plus now you are dragging something as well.

I guess it would really depend on the terrain and vegetation that you were crossing.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 15, 2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Atroxus

Quote:
It's called a travois(sp) and was used successfully for a few millenia by Native Americans,,etc.
That being said, I have a bicycle wheeled, low slung cart made of aluminum which works exceedingly well.
Cabelas makes/sells a similar item which would be very good. It folds up unlike mine, kind of a neat feature.
elkman06
I knew there was a word for that, I just couldn't remember it when I posted. I only asked because I am trying to learn to hunt on a shoestring budget. I got tired of "waiting till I could afford to learn to hunt." and decided come hell or high water I am going to learn this year.

It just occured to me while reading this thread that if I do somehow manage to bag an elk out all by my lonesome I might need to figure out how to pack a lot of meat out of the woods. I figured maybe a travois would be the easiest way to do that unless I would get busted for cutting down teh saplings to make it.

Quote:
Atroxus,

Nothing wrong with it, I just don't see the gain. You are still holding the bulk of the weight, plus now you are dragging something as well.

I guess it would really depend on the terrain and vegetation that you were crossing.
If the saplings are long enough it doesn't take nearly as much effort to lift a few hundred pounds free of the ground. I would still have to drag it, but the ends of the saplings would hopefully not provide too much drag unless I got hung up on something or stuck in mud. Maybe I will see about getting a small wheel assembly from a wheel barrow though. I bet rigging a travois onto a wheel would be pretty effective, and the wheel assembly alone probably doesn't weigh too much.

Last edited by Atroxus; February 15, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:11 PM   #17
elkman06

Quote:
a small wheel assembly from a wheel barrow though. I bet rigging a travois onto a wheel would be pretty effective, and the wheel assembly alone probably doesn't weigh too much.
Go ahead but single wheels create more problems than they are worth. If you do anything, make it a pair. Works with all kinds of things, blondes, brunettes...oops.
elkman06

Old February 16, 2010, 01:23 PM   #18
davlandrum

I was not trying to be negative about the travois, and I agree it would work in some areas. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Coast range of Oregon would not be one of them - thick, heavy vegetation and a lot more vertical than horizonal.

So using the leverage of the long poles to lift a few hundred pounds off the ground does not mean you can pull that much wieght straight up the hill.

Now, sufficient rope and a snatch block tied off high on a tree, and a winch will skid one right out...

Old February 17, 2010, 05:16 PM   #19
cheff

Eberlestock

I got the Just one and it is by far the best pack I have ever used. I like it better than any of the other external frame packs in my garage.

I use it for everything, from short day hikes, hauling gear for 2 kids and my self on a backpacking trip or to carry a deer out of the woods. It will hold more than you can carry. I have packed 100lbs for 15 miles and not been absolutely sore in the waist like with my other packs.

I really recommend it.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Mobuck

one boot wide trail

We did get one elk about 1/4 mile from a pack trail but it was only about 18" wide at most. On that hunt the snow was 12-30" deep on the flat and we tried(did) drag a spike bull over 1 1/2 miles on that packed trail. I can still hear the horse riders laughing and that was 25 years ago. The other places we/'ve hunted had trails only wide enough for a good mountain horse to walk and that's less than 12" wide,less in some places. And then there's the down timber-no cart is going in there. No road hunters either.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:45 PM   #21
waterfowler

Purchase a horse and maybe a pack mule. they can get you in some places and carry alot of weight.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:02 PM   #22
Gbro

I use an outfitter external frame pack.
Very comfortable, although not the quietest pack.
The pack goes well with the cart modified to it. The cart is completed controlled by the pack, I only rest my hands on the draw bar.
We use bicycles to carry the frame packs also. having braking on downgrades is very nice. I sometimes just adjust the brakes to drag without even squeezing the controls.
I have to add brakes to the cart for the next hunting trip.
That pack in was 3.5 miles and 1000 ft to base camp.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:22 AM   #23
mcw3734

Other hints

Just decided to drop in on my own post to see whats here. Since the discussion is starting to widen, I’d like to toss this out…

1. This last season I used a pair of those nice (expensive!) telescoping hiking poles. They look like ski poles, but they are just for hiking. They make a noticeable difference while packing out my deer, especially when climbing steep terrain. But if it’s really brushy… they tend to get caught up. If you can pick up a decent used pair on Ebay, I would recommend them.

2. It can’t hurt to talk to some local outfitters working the area ahead of time and see if they can be hired to pack an animal out. I approached one outfitter last year and got rebuffed, but its worth a call. Maybe better to work something out with a local rancher if you can find one. But... I know some states frown upon that as being a "hired, unlicensed outfitter" situation.

Anyway, I'm starting to think I might stick to my comfortable hip pack for hunting and then once I have something down, going back after it with the regular external frame pack and hiking poles.