The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1
colostomyclown

Brightsights Gun sight coating?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...IGHT%20COATING

Thinking about purchasing the ghost glow kit to paint my rear indicators and front blade on my mossberg 590 w/ ghost ring sights. Different colors of course. I'm hoping to turn it into a nightsight-ghost ring type deal that's extremely visible in both light and dark. NOT a mall ninja...just want a shotgun that's versatile should the need arise. Any experiences with this project or is there any glow in dark paint that's durable that you feel strongly about?
Old February 27, 2009, 11:01 PM   #2
rantingredneck

I bought one of the standard kits to paint the front sight blades on my GP100 and SP101. I found that it didn't stay very long. I followed the directions to the letter, used the included cleaner, allowed the paint to cure for the appropriate time. Within a week of regular handling/carrying the sights were back to normal.

Not sure if the ghost glow kit will work better, but that was my experience with the standard stuff.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 27, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
colostomyclown

I'll have to check around. i want to bring out my sights more than they already are, especially the side lines in the rear, and i figure why not give it a luminescent treatment at the same time, may as well right? i'm sure there are more products than just this one. i'll check around.
Old February 28, 2009, 05:28 AM   #4
PetahW

I am a loyal fan/customer of BRIGHT SIGHTS sight paint for my rifles and pistols, and have tried several different brands of luminous pains on my sights, all to no avail in the long run.

The luminous coating(s) either wore off, broke off, failed to glow due to no light pre-charge (as when something went "bump" in the middle of the night), or plain wasn't luminous enough.

If you are serious in your need for a night sight, then you would be well advised to get night sights - tritium, like Meprolites or somesuch.

Old February 28, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Mike U.

^Yeah, What he said.^