The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1
AKhunter3

old Winchester 1300 vs. new "Speed Pump"

I am looking to buy my first shotgun. I picked up a used Winchester 1300 at a gun dealer last weekend and it just felt perfect to me. I liked the weight balance and the wide butt-end of the stock. I was reluctant to buy a used gun, though.

Sadly, it looks like it is not in production any longer but Winchester is making the "Speed Pump" which looks very similar. I'd just go find one of these and pick it up to see if it feels the same, but I live remotely and none of my local dealers have one in stock. Have any 1300 fans out there also tried the new "Speed Pump?" The catalog says delivery started in June. Anyone know if it is essentially the same gun?
Old August 21, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
TxGun

IIRC, Winchester used to term "speed pump" when marketing the original 1300. Now they've given the new variation the formal title. I may be mistaken, but that's my recollection.

Last edited by TxGun; August 22, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old August 22, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
AKhunter3

Not having much luck finding the new Winchester, anyway. Any opinions, cautions, etc, on buying a used shotgun?
Old August 25, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Huntergirl

I've got a couple of 1300's, and I enjoy shooting them. Bought both used, and they cycle extremely well. Not sure the new version would be any better, and not much has been said about them. So that might be a clue. I know that there are many more fans of the 870, but the Win 1300 fit me so much better. Several years back I also bought a Win model 120 ranger in 20GA really cheap and in excellent shape. That thing has been my main dove gun for years, its a sweet shooter. I just plain love the Winchoke system.