The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2005, 10:19 PM   #1
prairiebird

fell into a nice setup

.. well sort of. My bro in law bought all this stuff to reload a few years ago, and I bought a set of dies for my .40 cal. and would use it once a year to make 300 rounds at a pop. He has decided he has no room for any of it and called me to come get it. Its now all at my place and ready to use.
Its a Dillon XL650 with base mount, bullet trays, case feeder, primer alarms, powder alarms and everything. He also sent a large dillon vibration tumbler, dillon primer tube loader thingy, dillon weight scales, dillon calipers, dillon maint kit, spare parts. I mean there is a lot of stuff here.
I am wondering if its cheaper to source the brass online or look somewhere local. All the brass ive loaded before was once fired pre-primed, so I need to learn how to mess with primers also. And last of all, I have to convince the wife that the house wont go boom
Old November 14, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
m0ntels

Nice setup ya fell into there.

Anyone that knows Dillon pricing know how many years it woulda taken to make up that initial cost loading 300rds of .40 a year?

Randy
Old November 14, 2005, 11:01 PM   #3
prairiebird

well im sure that ME making the money back on this setup is far from happening. I just think reloading is kind of fun, and I have a lot to learn. However there are dies setup for 38/357, 357mag, .45, .40 and 300 win mag. I might have to figure out the 300 win mag setup, there is money to be saved for me there I think.
Old November 15, 2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Philthy

Before I bought my XL650 & necessary (some not) peripherals, my calculations showed that I would have to shoot a minimum of 200 rounds per week (.38/.357 manum and .45 ACP) for the machine to pay for itself in just over a year.

Nice machine. However, there will be the odd day that the 'blue bitch' gives you a hard time. Learn it, breathe it, know it, pamper it......it's a real nice progressive loader!!! Always wear eye protection too.

Unless you have an isolated room or shed, I'd reconsider cleaning your brass....it's a serious health hazard and you'll have to consider how to dispose of the media......it's considered hazardous waste!
Old November 15, 2005, 04:49 PM   #5
prairiebird

I do have an isolated workshed for this setup, so im good there. The only problem ive got with it is the piece that raises up to the case feed tube to grab the next shell and bring it down to the plate, is broken. I have a C-Clamp holding it together now, and its working, but need to get the broken piece from Dillon. I guess its warranted for life even if I didnt buy it?
Old November 15, 2005, 06:45 PM   #6
yorec

Quote:
well im sure that ME making the money back on this setup is far from happening. I just think reloading is kind of fun, and I have a lot to learn....there is money to be saved for me there I think.
You're going to do AOK! Enjoy your setup, it's a good 'un.