The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 1999, 04:32 PM   #1
MOJO

Hey guys, I just bought a new 590a1 and have a couple of questions for you all. I have been shooting handguns and rifles for some time now, but must admit this is my first shotgun and there is a bit that I need to learn.
My owners manual was kinda vague in a couple of areas when it came to ammo for this thing. Is it ok to shoot slugs thru this barrel? Would shooting different types of shot (steel, lead, brass, etc..) harm my barrel? What types of items are out there that will fit my "accessory lug"?, and is this the same as a bayonet lug? And what are the specific differences in this model from a standard 500/590 model?
I must admit that I bought this thing simpally because I liked the way it looked. With what just happened in Colo, I didn't want to take the chance of missing out on another firearm. Plus I have a strong desire to take a picture of it and send it to Sarah Brady in the form of a mothers day card
I don't intend on using this for a primary residence defense gun. I like the idea of handguns for this purpose, but I'm not ruling out that it would ever be used for this. I mostly just want to have some fun with it at the range, plus I've gone long enough w/o a shotgun I think. Thanks for your time guys,

------------------
MOJO

Old April 25, 1999, 10:08 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The main difference between the 590A1 and other Mossberg pumps is the steel trigger group and I believe it also has a steel safety button. Don't remember the specs offhand. Try using the search feature with 590a1 typed in. There have been several discussions about this weapon in the last few months that should prove elpful to you.
Old April 25, 1999, 03:18 PM   #3
MOJO

Thanks for reminding me about the search engine Fal. I hadn't used it before, but have found it to be very helpful. From what I can tell so far, I got the right model as far as durabillity goes. No plastic parts on my piece. I'm learning quick too about ammo choices.
Thanks again,

------------------
MOJO

Old January 6, 2008, 02:51 AM   #4
Jawatech

I also have just a 590A1. The "Accessory Lug" that you are referring to is in fact a Bayonet Lug. Any Standard M16 style bayonet or bayonet style accessory should fit. The major differences from the standard civilian 590, is that the 590A1 has a thicker steel barrel, Stronger steel trigger guard, steel safety tang, and a beefier receiver. Also i believe that the dual action bars have been improved as well. All in all it is a much more durable gun compared to the civilian 590.
Old January 12, 2008, 12:29 AM   #5
LH2

590A1's are pretty hard to find right now.

I'm actually trying to decide between a 590A1 and an 870. Probably can't go wrong, but I kinda like the location of the safety and slide release on the Mossy.
Old January 12, 2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Rob96

Quote:
All in all it is a much more durable gun compared to the civilian 590.
And I don't know if the extra weight of the extra material is necessary as the 500/590 has been performing admirably in the military.

As far as slugs go, you can lead rifled or foster type slugs. Sabots are a no go.