The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Vinnie Harold

Help with putting my STI 1911 back together

Every time I take the STI RangeMaster apart to clean it, I "tremble" thinking about how I am going to put it together.

Once the slide is on, I have to line up the notch marks so I can place the slide stop in the correct position to slip it in. However, as I hold the slide in place (under pressure from the spring) I set the slide stop in place only to find that the spring pin to the right of the slide stop will not budge, and so the slide stop will not drop in.

Somehow I am able to hold the slide in the proper position with my left hand, and with my right hand use a plastic knife to push the spring pin in so I can drop the slide stop in all the way.

There has got to be an easier way. STI has a video on their site of how to reassemble the RangeMaster with the bull barrel, but their slide stop just drops right in without any problem from the pin spring that locks the slide stop in place.
I hate to tell you how I have scratched the frame of the gun, but I am at my wits end.

Can you offer assistance?
Old February 23, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
g.willikers

Have you tried getting some oil into the plunger and spring?
Might help.
They can be stubborn at times.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Vinnie Harold

Yes. oil was the first thing I thought of and I do it every time I put the auto together.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Colt, AMT, Randall, Coonan, Star

I don't have an STI, but I have a couple of different makers' 1911s and here's how I do it:

I insert the slide stop SHAFT into the frame and barrel link with the rest of the slide stop hanging down in the trigger guard area. Then, with the slide stop pulled out 1/16" or so, rotate the end of the slide stop up to where it meets the spring plunger and start the engagement process.

The slide stop is just outboard of and below the spring plunger.

Usually, just pressing with my thumbs upward and inward it pops into place.

I have occasionally had to use the point of a small lever to ease the spring plunger in just a bit. Right hand with the lever, and left thumb continuing to push the slide stop.

I hope that helps.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
oryx

At least you are learning. Some are intimidated by breaking it down and never do it.

Once you get it the first time it gets easier. Set it just under and apply pressure up and in as Loast sheep described. Some go in easier than other depending on fit, but a firm push up and in should do it.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
geetarman

[QUOTE]Once the slide is on, I have to line up the notch marks so I can place the slide stop in the correct position to slip it in. However, as I hold the slide in place (under pressure from the spring)[/QUOTE]

What spring pressure? Unless there is something majorly different with STI 1911 guns, there is no pressure on the slide.

I have several 1911s and it is true the slide stop does not always want to go in the way it should.

Once I have the rod inserted into the link, I move the slide back to the takedown notch and set the end that pushes the spring right on top of the end of the retainer pin.

I make sure it has some grease on the end as that makes it a little easier.

Usually a light tap with a plastic screw driver is all it takes. Pushing the lever up will get you that idiot scratch we all hate to see.

The last thing I do is tension the recoil spring.

Maybe I am reading your post wrong

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Robk

The way I read the OPs post, he has the recoil spring inserted fully while doing this procedure. I am aware of some models where the spring can not be put in after the slide is on. May be one of these? Just not sure of the STI.

But for the OP, If the STI has a normal barrel bushing and spring plug, you should be able to install that after the slide stop is in, thereby the slide will not be under pressure. Makes the whole thing much easier. Just IMHO.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:02 PM   #8
polyphemus

"Unless there is something majorly different with STI 1911 guns,"
Actually there is.the modified guide rod.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:36 PM   #9
geetarman

Quote:
Actually there is.the modified guide rod.
I don't see how that would affect assembly. I have both styles on my guns and there is no tension on the slide unless the recoil spring is under tension. If the STI does not allow for disassembly with the recoil spring free, I do not understand the problem getting the gun back together.

I just came back from the range after shooting a Ruger SR1911 and a Smith and Wesson 1911 Pro. One has the full length guide rod and one is the little short one.

Perhaps someone can school me on the STI about a facet of field stripping that is not familiar to me.

I have heard of folks who have taken the slide off a 1911 with the plug still installed and the slide under tension. That seems to be a WHOLE lot of looking for trouble.

What am I missing?

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 25, 2013, 12:52 PM   #10
polyphemus

"Perhaps someone can school me on the STI"
The notorious RecolMaster is proprietary,it is not installed in all STI 1911's
but those that have it would not strip conventionally.RangeMaster does.
You can do some research on that and I would bet that the subject has been
discussed right here.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:02 PM   #11
geetarman

Ok. I see what is happening. Thanks for the heads up.

I did do a search and found the following video.

Seems straight forward enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8cwe-MNPwk

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 25, 2013, 04:59 PM   #12
CCCLVII

Quote:
Colt, AMT, Randall, Coonan, Star
lostsheep that is a pretty nice collection. What do you think of your Coonan? Im thinking about buying one my self.