The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 14, 2000, 07:24 PM   #1
Hammy

I'm considering buying a Makarov and I could use some advice. I've been seeing a lot of the "Bulgarian Maks" at the gun shows lately. Can anyone give me the lowdown on these. Also, how can I tell the difference between a Russian Makarov and a Bulgarian Makarov?
Old March 14, 2000, 07:50 PM   #2
MMM

I purchased one from Dan's Sporting Goods outside of Pittsburg last month for $140, which included shipping. The package included a holster, 2 mags, cleaning rod and a unissued Bulgarian Mak packed in a wax like substance. Guns Scrubber cleaned it up in no time and the finish was very nice.
I oiled the trigger action and it seems OK to me--a little stiffer than a Ruger P95 in DA--but not bad at all.
I've put about 200 rounds through it--Russian FMJ, Amer Eagle FMJ and CCI JHP--without a hickup. I haven't shot it from a bench but from a standing position was getting sub 5" groups at 15 yards. The sights are tiny any i suspect I'll have to do something about that; all in all a very good weapon for the money.
Can't speak to the EG or Russian version since I've never owned one.
Old March 14, 2000, 10:32 PM   #3
fridge21

I have the russian makarov, it's got full adjustable sights on the rear. A friend of mine has a nice bulgarian model, there is a book on makarovs that argues the bulgarian models are the finest, with regard to craftsmanship, lack of tool marks, etc.
i like my russian, wouldn't wanna trade it, but the bulgarians are nice. hope i've helped, good luck to ya
Old March 14, 2000, 10:46 PM   #4
Tecolote

Cannot go wrong with a Bulgie Mak. Dan's sells them and so does www.jcarmory.com There are two types of Bulgies, commercial versions with a squared trigger guard and unissued military ones. Get the latter, they're of better quality and fit and finish is superior. I like the Bulgies because they don't have the bulky adjustable sights that the current Russian ones have.

Supposedly the best of the breed are the East German Maks. From what I've seen fit and finish is definetely better on the EG Maks. Check out the oracle at www.makarov.com

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.
Old March 14, 2000, 11:35 PM   #5
plateshooter

I highly recommend the Bulgie unissued Mak. With the 95 grain bullets, it will out shoot every centerfire semi auto I have, or have shot at 30'. I'm still amazed at how much gun you can get for around $150.00 with the Mak.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter