The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1
arthurrh

reloading mini-14

Ok, all you mini-haters our there, don't bother reading this. ;-)

I am planning to start reloading for my mini-14 to improve bullet selection. Anyone have experience reloading for a mini? Did you need to use the small-base dies? Does using small-base harm accuracy?
Old July 19, 2005, 02:19 PM   #2
m0ntels

Bro bought a regular set of RCBS dies for me to use to load his mini. Loaded him 200 or so and the ones he actually shot worked as good as the stuff he had been using at least. He's a once every few months shooter so I only loaded once for him so far. I just copied the NATO bullets he was using w/ the 62 gr steel core bullets over H335. I dont remember doing anything special for the mini that I dont do for anything else. Pretty sure I only turned the die in 1/4 turn to put a light crimp on it although I dont even think it needed it.

Randy
Old July 19, 2005, 03:24 PM   #3
cuate

Reloading Mini14 .223 cal.

I have reloaded lots of .223s, Lee carbide dies, etc. My mini14 for some reason has a tight chamber and not all my reloads will chamber, ditto my Ruger bolt action .223.
Every reload however will chamber in my Thompson Center
Contender. Factory rounds chamber just fine in the Rugers,
Beats me!