The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2006, 06:00 PM   #1
davlandrum

Wall tent question

I have about talked myself into taking the plunge for a canvas wall tent. Weight is not an issue, since it will be used as a base camp (truck accesible).

Anyone have any experience on size? I have 3 growing boys, the wife and I. It will be for summer trips as well as hunting trips.

My buddy has a 12x12 Cabela's Alanak (not sure of the spelling there...), and on a typical elk or deer trip, there are 3 guys in it and it gets crowded.

I am thinking minimum of 14x16 with a 6 foot porch so we can keep some stuff out of the sleeping area. If I put a stove in it, I am not sure if that is gonna be big enough. Stove would only be for hunting trips, but as the boys get old enough to go with - it could end up with 5-6 guys sleeping in it.

I don't want to invest a couple of grand for tent and frame and accessories and then kick myself for too little room or way too much room.

Thanks in advance
Old October 30, 2006, 06:20 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I dunno, but keep us updated, and take pics of it setup when purchased. I'm interested in these.
Old October 30, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3
davlandrum

FF - will do. I have been over every scenario I can as far as hauling capacity, sleeping, and trailering to figure out what to get. If I could afford a toy-hauler that would be ideal - but it would have to have enough room for at least 3 4-wheelers (probably more when the kids get older), so would be so long, I don't think I could get it into some of the places we go. Also, then I lose the ability to pull a boat...
Old October 31, 2006, 07:56 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I've got a popup-camper (92 jayco eagle 8') which I can haul around in theory, but as a practical matter, I don't like pulling stuff, so I simply leave it on my hunting lands. Take the wheels off to discourage theft.

But, when I go elk hunting (saving/crossing fingers that first trip will definitely be '07), I'm gonna want a good tent for a week-long hunt, so I want a wall tent. And, as you say, you can leave the hitch open for pulling boat, etc., instead of a camper or toy hauler. My idea for my local hunting is to purchase, as funds permit, a little flatbed trailer, a 4-wheeler, and a 3k watt generator. Haul 4-wheeler and generator on the flatbed, while leaving popup on hunting grounds. But generator will allow me to run air conditioner which is on the popup & works - for summer hunting (hogs, coyotes, etc.). Anyway, I digress....
Old October 31, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess maybe get some graph paper and draw a floorplan. Five people means five 3'x7' sleeping spaces, for instance. Cots? Air mattresses on floor?

Table? Chairs? (The five-gallon plastic buckets from hydraulic oil make good seats, and they're stackable. Construction companies use a lot of hydraulic oil.) Stove?

Then: A way to hang lighting? And where? One light, or two? That sort of thing.

Tents always get a lot smaller with people inside, but 14' x 16' doesn't sound bad.

Art
Old October 31, 2006, 11:38 PM   #6
davlandrum

Art - good suggestion about the graph paper, I will give it a go. We always have at least a tarp up for outside sitting - nobody gets to sit around inside. After a few days of cold and wet weather, I don't think anyone would want to sit around in the stink tent (wet wool clothes, boots, night breath...). The other thing is I am trying to make this as comfortable as possible to get my wife more involved with the project. She likes to hike, but will not hunt. Some of the larger wall tents you can hang a seperator for a little privacy.

I figure I need room for 5 cots. The boys are young enough still to get by on a sleeping pad on the ground, but I have to have my cot, so I am sure that will lead to everyone needing one....
Old November 1, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
JohnO

I have a 14 x 20 Montana canvas wall tent. We had 5 people in it last week, with cots, gear and a small wood burning stove. There was room to spare, but not as much as one would think. Another cot or 2 and it would have gotten crowded real quick.
Old November 1, 2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Edward429451

Get one of those surplus GP tents. Originally 16 X 32 w/5-1/2 sidewalls, they're usually cut down to 16 X 16. Two people can put up a 16/16. Prolly not more than 300 bucks at the surplus store.
Old November 2, 2006, 06:36 AM   #9
1goodshot

I have a Cabelas Big Horn tent and am very happy with it.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If possible, do a practice set-up in the back yard. If you haven't done it before, it can be quite a learning experience. The pictures on the outside of the box or in the ads always show happy, smiling people. And then there's reality...

Another possibility might be to get two, smaller wall tents. One for sleeping and gear storage; the other for cooking and social. More cost, though.

Art
Old November 2, 2006, 09:40 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

Let's see....John says that the 14x20' was plenty enough for 5 plus gear. But you want to cover 6 plus gear. The 14x20, with 280 sq. ft. of space, is 94% larger than your friend's 12x12, with 144 sq. ft. - almost twice the floor space. You say 3 was crowded, so I would reason that for 6 plus gear and stove, you'd want at *least* the 14x20 - it would be about right for 6. But, something like a 16x20 would be a better choice, if you like a little elbow room (though would be overkill for only 4 or 5 people). What are all of your options?

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/depa...FSQiWAodbi-b5g

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...equestid=11860

http://www.walltentshop.com/

http://www.davistent.com/

http://www.kwikkamp.com/

https://www.reliabletent.com/

This 16x20 is not much more than the 14x20 from the same company, though it may be harder to set up (may not), and would take up a bit more room in the pickup:

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/prod...mber=WT%201620

Quote:
Prolly not more than 300 bucks at the surplus store.
Where are all these so-called surplus stores? I haven't seen any since the 80s with anything other than non-actual-surplus phillipine junk, calling themselves "army surplus". If there truly are surplus supplies still out there, then there would be an internet store with the stuff - anyone got a link?

For example, sportsmansguide is the closest thing I can think of to a surplus store:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=226298

And those prices aren't that much better. So where are these surplus stores these days? Like the mythical unicorn, it would seem.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:54 AM   #12
davlandrum

Dang FF, thanks for doing my leg work for me . I have looked at the ones you linked to as part of my decision (I think I looked at every company that advertised in this months Bugle), and I am pretty well set on the kwikkamp for a couple of reasons. One, they are an Oregon company, and that makes some difference to me (not enough to buy substandard crude, but all things equal - definite plus). The other thing is thier sizes are actual finished sizes. All the other companies are using sizes that are "cut sizes", so actual measurements of the tent when it is finished will be 4"-6" smaller in each direction. How stupid is that?? That lost inches includes the height of the side walls. How hard would it be to cut it bigger and then actually sell a 14'x20' that is actually those measurement?

Now I just have to sell a kidney to buy one...Oh, that's right, I have my Cabela's Visa to use and earn points with......

And a huge +1 to the absence of surplus stores with anything actually surplus in them. Around Army bases you can get "surplus" stuff that probably walked out the gate yesterday, but not where I am. I did check online auctions and found an actual full size GP Medium, but I set up way too many of those in my life to have one for fun.