The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Sweet Shooter

New Vaquero .357

Damn. I'ma spenda holick. I just couldn't put this revolver down. It clicks mighty fine and locks like a fort. It's a polished stainless gun, and is just a perfect handful. I never thought I'd get into revolvers, but, I'm looking for things to sell so I can get more. Now I want a Python too, and a model 19 and a 27. I have to say I'm digging the 357 mag big-time, and don't think the 27 is popular in .357 right?

The only thing is the front sight shines... what to do about that without spoiling the overall look and feel. Bloody love it. I want to shoot a deer with it.
-SS-
Old March 19, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Ferretboy

I know how you feel, I went through the same thing with my Ruger GP-100. .357 Magnum is awesome. I went out and found a Winchester 94 in .357 to go with it and now am hunting a .357 Snubbie for CCW. I think that it will only continue.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:25 AM   #3
biohazurd

I love the vaqueros/blackhawks. Well more then half the price of a SAA and will outlast any SAA. Even carry a .357 vaquero in the winter every now and then. Never feel undergunned.

And my Super Blackhawk is my go to medium/big game hunting handgun.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

traded an FN 5-7 for a matching pair of polished stainless Vaqueros in 357... ( my 3rd matching pair of Ruger single actions )

as far as the shiny front sight, you could take a black marker & darken the edge that's catching the light & see if that helps ( often the top of the barrel being shiny is worse than the front sight blade ) if you are happy with the blackened front sight blade edge, you could apply a little paint on that edge, or if you want it monochromatic, take a little emery cloth, & sand the shine off of that edge... ( it can help to put some of that easy to remove painters masking tape, around the front of the barrel, to avoid scratching anything but the edge of the front sight blade )

a couple of mine... ( 357 Vaqueros are the 2nd pair down from the top )

Old March 20, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Sweet Shooter

Nice Magnum Wheel Man! I'm going to have to find some nice carved ivory grips now. And now I'm wondering about the Bisley model... I like the hammer shape more... and perhaps slightly smaller geometry.

I've seen videos where people bed the grips on the frame. Is there any real point to that? There are no gaps that I can see.
-SS-
Old March 20, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6
rclark

The sights are a problem with the Stainless New Vaqueros. I have to paint the front edge flat black on mine. Also paint the flat area (what is facing you when looking down the sights) in the back flat black as well. The glare is a killer. Fine I guess if you are lost and need to flag down a rescue plane though . And careful, ..., you might just find yourself hooked on Single Actions . I know I am!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Super Sneaky Steve

I almost never see the sun in Michigan so it's not a problem here. Try out those Ruger fake ivory grips. They look awesome and have a better shape to them than the stockers.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Sweet Shooter

Back from the range...

Just put a couple of hundred rounds through this new revolver. It's shooting 1-to-2 inch groups at 25 feet indoors. Weather is too bad for outdoor stuff. I'm sorry, but their just going to have to bury me with this pistol. It is true love.

It's shooting about 6 inches low with 38 special+p. I need to work on the front sight as it's too bright and shiny. Talk about "desert island gun".

'Course I do not like cleaning that carbon ring out of the cylinder much at all after shooting 38's. Tips please on cleaning that muck out.

-SS-
Old March 24, 2013, 01:07 AM   #9
colbad

Try flitz metal polish. It takes the burn rings right off.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Sweet Shooter

I worked on the front sight and improved the picture hugely. However now the blade snags my crappy holster. Perhaps I need a nicer holster. he he!!
-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:58 AM   #11
LAH

I like that site Sweet Shooter.
Old March 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
I have to say I'm digging the 357 mag big-time, and don't think the 27 is popular in .357 right?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the Model 27 Smith revolver was chambered exclusively in .357 Magnum (at least in the standard catalog offerings).
Old March 26, 2013, 01:47 PM   #13
newfrontier45

Quote:
...will outlast any SAA.
How many have you worn out???
Old March 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Sweet Shooter

Quote:
@dgludwig
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the Model 27 Smith revolver was chambered exclusively in .357 Magnum (at least in the standard catalog offerings).
Guy at ye olde gun shoppe said they were mainly bigger calibers.
I guess not then.
-SS-
Old March 28, 2013, 01:35 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Model 27s are .357 Magnum. Period. A "bigger caliber" is a different model #.
.41mags are model 57, .44 Mag are model 29, etc.

A quick easy fix for the front sight glare is a sharpie magic marker. Not permanent, but easy to touch up.