The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 19, 2012, 06:21 PM   #51
Nanuk

Great post SGT.

That is why I carry a BUG. If my main gun goes down for any reason that cannot be immediately rectified, I drop it and grab the J 357.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 19, 2012, 07:30 PM   #52
peacefulgary

In a perfect world every bullet finds its target, and every target goes down with a single hit, so the good guy drops six bad guys with just six shots from his trusty old six-shooter.

But in the real world most of the good guys miss their targets more often than they hit them.
And the bad guys don't always drop from a single hit.

Five-to-eight rounds just isn't enough in my opinion.
Old August 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #53
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen dee
Just because someone try's to take your gun dont mean you can shoot them.
LMAO - in a self-defense situation (fear of serious bodily injury or death), you really think they're trying to take it away so they can get a closer look at your fancy grips maybe?
Old August 20, 2012, 01:34 PM   #54
L_Killkenny

Look, we can all second guess ourselves right into become recluses, never leaving the house and answering the door with a 12ga. The fact is when it comes to my thoughts on caliber and platform wars I can never think of an instance where I wouldn't want something better. Home invasion? I want the best. Convenience Store robbery? I want the best. Car jacking? I want the best. I'll carry a .22lr on occasion, sometimes a SA centerfire, don't have issues with .380's or .38's etc etc. But you put me in just about any scenario and I want more. More power, more capacity, faster reloads. To heck with all these primitive guns, give a phaser!. All kidding aside no matter what you choose your gonna be wishing you had something better. You're also gonna be wishing you were somewhere else.

But to give a straight answer to the question, a person would have to be pretty thick in the head to choose go into a known gunfight with a revolver. I don't care how good he thinks he is with one or how many years he's been shooting one, to go all in with 5 or 6 shots and slow reloads compared to other options just doesn't seem right to me. As stated the military doesn't do it, LEO's don't do it, why should I do it. Being said I'm not going into a known gunfight with any handgun. Like I said, give me a shotgun and 4 friends with shotguns. Maybe some armor, a couple grenades would be nice, etc, etc.

Note: this is not against the viability of carrying a revolver for SD. I'm perfectly happy doing it, if you are great. But with SD carry you're talking very slim odds of a fight not going into a known gunfight.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:53 PM   #55
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

On duty I carried a 45 now as an old retired codger with a cane I carry a revolver. It don't make no never mind to me or to anybody about to get shot but if'n I had a choice beforehand give me something with a 24" barrel shooting 180 grains of 30 caliber. I would prefer to keep the gun fight at 600 yards instead of up close and personal because I am a large slow moving target and dislike losing water tight integrity.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #56
Ichiro

To answer the question, I'd rather have a semiauto in a gunfight, assuming the semiauto has a high capacity.

But I actually carry a 5-shot revolver because I don't expect to be in a gunfight.
Old August 20, 2012, 09:53 PM   #57
Larry C.

Howdy,

Revolver. Specifically a GP100 stoked with 6 rds. of .357 hollow points. That's if i were somehow forced into a gunfight.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:35 AM   #58
akguy1985

semi auto, faster follow up shots.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:54 AM   #59
PT-92

Faster

Comments regarding "faster follow-up shots" with the semi vs. revolver reminds me of that argument in the semi vs. pump shotgun debate as well--Essentially it's a point that translates over to long guns as well as hand.

-Cheers
Old August 21, 2012, 07:02 AM   #60
drail

Anyone who believes that a semi auto allows faster follow up shots has never watched Jerry Miculek work a revolver. ALL of my CCW guns are S&W revolvers even though I can't cycle a revolver's action quite as fast as I can a 1911. Close but not quite. And revolvers are chambered in more useful calibers. (Unless you count the Desert Eagle) I have only seen a few instances of revolver failures. I have seen so many instances where a semi auto would stop working although they can usually be cleared pretty quickly where a revolver will need a bench and some tools.

Last edited by drail; August 21, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:07 AM   #61
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by akguy1985
semi auto, faster follow up shots.
Obviously posted by someone who's never heard of Jerry Miculek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI
Old August 21, 2012, 07:40 AM   #62
MLeake

If average revolver shooters could shoot that fast, with any semblance of accuracy, then most of us would never have heard of Jerry Miculek.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:10 AM   #63
shortwave

Going into a 'known' gunfight , I would want capacity as well as accuracy. I would then opt for say my 92fs, but....

...for daily CC usually has me packing either a 442 or 642 in warmer weather and a single stack .45 in colder months.
Old August 21, 2012, 09:17 AM   #64
Nanuk

Due to my more than 3 decades of law enforcement I am somewhat jaded. When I am selecting an off duty carry gun or now a CCW I always use the same litmus test; Is this a gun I want to have with me if I get into a gunfight? Why do I ask myself that? Situations that I and my friends have found ourselves in. You cannot just say " I am not likely to get involved in a gunfight." It is meaningless rationalization.

They happen, kinda like spring thunderstorms sometime out of no where. If I knew I was going to a fight I would take a rifle and friends with rifles, however, in the parameters set by the OP it will be a handgun.

I have no bias against revolvers or autos and I am technically, equally proficient with both. The advantages of the auto are the reason in my first post for selecting an auto for a fight. I carry a revolver as a BUG J frame 357 mag. My EDC Glock is perfectly capable for any SD situation I may find myself in.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:57 PM   #65
rebs

The one you are most proficient and comfortable with and can hit your target.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:56 PM   #66
pete2

I have both autos and revolvers. I guess it would depend on whether the gunfight was against 1 bad guy or a platoon. Against 1 I'm happy with the revolver.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:00 PM   #67
Mike Irwin
Staff

If I suspected I were about to go live fire I would want a shotgun.

Or a gatling gun.

Is bazooka a choice?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:28 PM   #68
Super Sneaky Steve

I would just stand next to Chuck Norris.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:40 PM   #69
old bear

As Jeff Cooper wrote years ago, "if you expect to be in a gun fight, you need to have a shotgun or rifle in your hands not a pistol on your belt." So like so many wise folks I would make every attempt not to be anywhere I could expect to be in a fight. Lacking that ability I would take one of my revolvers and feel well armed in doing so. The reason for this is simple, I carried a revolver to work daily for 27 years, and they always worked just fine when I needed one.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:00 PM   #70
kraigwy

Quote:
When was the last time you saw a patrol officer with a revolver?

When was the last time you saw a USMC grunt with a revolver?
You got a point, but the answer is real simple.

Now days people are more into "spray 'n pray' then learning to shoot.

Most police departments and the military just don't spend the time an effort to make the cop, soldier, or marine learn to shoot a pistol/revolver. It's much easier to just give them a 15 shot mag and tell them to get after it, hoping upon hope they hit something.

The problem being no one takes in consideration of where those missed rounds go.

Don't make your choise on what some one else carries. Thats like going to a match and coming somewhere down the list, then checking what the winner was shooting and buy a gun like his so you can win next time.

Brother, it don't work that way.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 21, 2012, 11:37 PM   #71
Jeremiah/Az

I have been shooting 60+ years. I have never had a revolver fail on the second pull of the trigger. I have had many semi-autos jam or malfunction. Having said that, I carry a semi for convenience & more ammo.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:43 AM   #72
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
Assuming that "Run Away!, Run Away!" and "Count me out" arent options, I would want my Yugo AK, it hits hard to 300 yards and doesnt screw up. Or maybe an 870 12 ga Remington. Pistols only, it's a tough choice, but (until recently) the Colt Combat Commander or Browning HP would have been my choices. Now that I have seen the Glock, Id be carrying a Glock 21 .45acp. Wouldnt feel unarmed with a S&W .357 or Colt Python, tho.
Old August 22, 2012, 03:25 AM   #73
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
Originally Posted by glen dee
Just because someone try's to take your gun dont mean you can shoot them.

If someone is trying to disarm you- assuming that you are in the right in the first place- shooting them may likely be the only viable option to protect yourself and others. For a peace officer, there is no option.. as you never give up your weapon. There are many "Officer down" calls where the officer is shot with his own weapon.
Old August 22, 2012, 04:53 AM   #74
Master Blaster 2

To anaswer the OP. If I were expecting to get into a gun fight I'd grab one of my AR's. Wouldn't mess with a handgun. This will never happen in my life time however.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:20 PM   #75
Glenn Dee

Dun Ranull

I stand by my statement. If someone is trying to take your handgun does not mean that you are automatically authorized to use deadly force. A handgun is property. You cant use deadly force to protect property. It's a very rare situation where you can use deadly force for what someone might do.

I'm not saying it cant happen... just very rare. Sure someone who disarms you might shoot you... or he might not shoot you. Not being a mind reader we just dont know. You being armed, and brandishing a firearm may be percieved as being the bad guy.

I am painfully aware of how sometimes Officers are shot with their own firearms. It happens. Probably why cops today wear extremely snatch resistant holsters. This is I think the reason that most street cops carry a second gun. But even then not all Officers are shot after losing their gun.