The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Beansie_Time

Bolt Action Mossberg 12 guage

I just found out I'll be receiving my father-in-laws bolt action mossberg 395 12 guage as a gift next week. This will be my first shotgun (first long gun of any kind for that matter) It has a 3 round detachable box magazine. Does anyone have experience with this gun (or other bolt action shotguns) that might be helpful to me or suggestions on ammo or a place I might be able to find additional magazines? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old April 2, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

A lot of good info on the old Mossbergs can be found here:

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index-shotgun.html

As far as parts, try www.havlinsales.com, if they don't have it, Vic or Cheryl can probably tell you who has them....

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old April 2, 2008, 09:41 PM   #3
publius

I would try Numrich Gun parts for mags. just search for Numrich on Yahoo. I've always thought those box mag Mossbergs were kinda cool looking.
Old April 3, 2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Beansie_Time

another question...

This is the Mossberg 395KB model. It has a "c-lect-choke" on the end of the barrel which has a switch the allows you to adjust the choke between 3 settings without changing tubes. If I set the choke to "full" is it OK to fire slugs through this barrel or should I remove the choke completely before trying to fire slugs? Like I said before while I have some experience with handguns I am new to shotguns so any advice is helpful.

Thanks again
Old April 4, 2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Smitty in CT

You "can" shoot with the choke tighter, but, you're accuracy will probably suffer and you might damage the select-choke...., make sure to use "rifled" slugs and keep the choke open and you shouldn't have any problems.

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old April 5, 2008, 12:12 AM   #6
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Bolt shotguns kick like mules too.
Old April 8, 2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Jack O'Conner

Marlin and Savage made bolt action shotguns for a time as well. They never really caught on like pumps, auto-loaders, and the rest. This is sort of amazing since bolt action rifles are such big sellers.

My brother and I often hunt coyotes during the prime fur season. He has a Mossberg bolt action 12 also. He loads up #5 plated, then 3 inch 00 for last 2shells. We call 'em in close and he shoots first. I usually set up for a crossfire with my bipod equipped .223 varmint rifle. I shoot as the survivors try to get away. Its hard to beat an icy day on the open prairie shooting coyotes for money.

He sets the choke on MOD and it patterns nicely. These chokes went out of style in '70s when the WINCHOKE hit the market and other companies followed with similar removeable choke tubes. But this twist type choke is quite useful indeed.

Try Jack First Gun Shop for spare magazines. (605) 343-8481

Jack
Old April 8, 2008, 05:55 PM   #8
mikenbarb

I had the same gun a long time ago and Mossberg says DO NOT fire slugs out of it. That type of adjustable choke is rated for shot only. Im not sure why but I remember a big warning in my owners manual not to use with slugs.
Old April 8, 2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Wingbone

I have 2 MB bolt actions, 1 in .410, 1 in 20ga. I called Mossberg and was told DO NOT shoot slugsin them, they can't handle the pressure. I don't know if the 12ga is different but I'd be carefull. Hope this helps.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Beansie_Time

Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to remove the choke tube if I intend to shoot slugs out of it. This way no damage to the tube or my health.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Dhill22

I've got a Mossberg 395T myself. It comes without choke. Id like to take the thing apart and see if I cant get another barrel that can choke on it. Does anyone have experience with that? Also Ive heard any bolt action kicks hard! mine leaves a bruise after 4 shots. Going to be getting a nice recoil pad soon.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:54 PM   #12
birdshot

I had one in twenty gauge as a kid. I killed a lot of dove and quail with it, It is a very reliable design, easy to unload and make safe. A bolt action is slower than a pump so it is almost always a one shot per bird gun. I remember it having a crude rear sight, so slugs would be a viable option. Open the choke all the way up for slugs or buck shot. Never shoot it with the choke tube out. Great guns.
Old November 10, 2011, 08:01 PM   #13
birdshot

slugs pressure

I saw the previous post about Mossberg warning not to use slugs. I am curious does the one ounce foster slug generate more pressure than the dram equivalent, one ounce or 1 1/4 ounce loads of birdshot? Or was this warning due to the gun having the adjustable choke?
Old November 10, 2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

Regarding the c lect choke and slugs...

here is my supposition. I have 2 of the mb bolt guns described by the op. If you screw off the c-lecter, you will learn that the barrel is NOT solid under the ring. The barrel has several "slits" cut into the barrel to allow for choking. The farther you screw in the ring the tighter the slits become.

I don't think this "split barrel" is strong enough to shoot a solid slug through with the ring in place and I certainly would NOT shoot a slug through there with the ring removed. I am supposing that is why MB says NOT to shoot slugs through this barrel.
Old November 12, 2011, 12:23 AM   #15
Discern

Do NOT shoot a slug in a barrel unless the barrel indicates slugs can be used. Some barrels are overbored and are not made to handle slugs. You also need a barrel and receiver that are strong enough and a barrel that has the correct size choke. Contact the manufacturer to see what ammunition is recommended.