The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 10, 2013, 11:08 PM   #326
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermannr
CC: Criminal Carry, or if you like Concealed Carry. While not everyone that conceals is a criminal, all criminals conceal.
I carry whenever I legally can, and I most often carry concealed. Are you calling me a criminal or otherwise disparaging my character?

I suggest that you abandon this line of discussion here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 11, 2013, 04:32 PM   #327
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

First tidbit in the news (local ABC affiliate): Man assaults family, commits suicide in Hampstead

What has this to do with the case in hand? Perhaps you can figure it out with an article from the Baltimore Sun: Man at center of Maryland handgun law challenge dead after Baltimore County barricade - baltimoresun.com

Meanwhile, the SCOTUS docket is now showing that the respondents have filed their opposition brief. This means that Gura will now have a chance to make his reply brief, and you can bet that this news story will play a small part in that reply (what happened is only tangentially relevant).
Old September 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #328
Spats McGee
Staff

"Tangentially related?" Maybe, but useful nonetheless . . . . That sounds utterly heartless, so let me clarify. This is a tragic event from which the family may never recover. From a "legal tactics" perspective, it's useful in a demonstrative sense: as to why vesting discretion in law enforcement to determine who may and may not arm themselves is a bad idea.

Here's my thinking: Didn't the sheriff deny Woolard's application because Woolard "hadn't demonstrated an immediate need" (or some such language) for a firearm or a CCL? Isn't Dawn, the estranged wife whom Abbot assaulted likely Woolard's daughter? The police thought that Woolard had failed to show that this very person posed enough of a threat to allow Woolard to arm himself. Yet a couple of years down the road, Abbot has assaulted his wife, beaten his parents, and taken his own life. His mother is reported to have been transported to a hospital for serious injuries. Had he decided to take his anger out on Woolard, who knows?
Old September 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #329
raimius

Well, I'm glad that Mr. Woollard is alright, although I feel sad for Abbott's victims.

Sad as the case is, I think it is a valid demonstration that violence cannot always be predicted with enough foresight to go through the administrative timeline for licensing, nor can law enforcement always predict who will have a "need" for self-defense.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:25 PM   #330
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks go to Kharn (a member of CalGuns) for procuring the opposition brief by MD.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13-42 Woollard Brief in Opposition.pdf (109.3 KB, 26 views)
Old September 12, 2013, 05:15 AM   #331
press1280

Did MD come out and say Abbott was no threat? Perhaps they implied it, but if someone has the quote then that would look really really bad.
I remember Md's reasoning behind not renewing Woollard's permit was twofold: threats have a limited shelf life, Woollard hadn't been attacked for several years, so there's no threat.
The other, which was really stupid, was that Woollard was attacked in his home, so it just goes to figure Abbott would necessarily attack in the home again(where Woollard can carry w/o a permit).
Old September 23, 2013, 10:25 PM   #332
62coltnavy

The case should be judged on the record now before the court--to consider new evidence at this late date creates difficulties, hence this traumatic end to Mr. Abbot's violent life will warrant no more than a footnote, if that.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:33 PM   #333
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

With the reply brief, the cert stage is now complete. Thanks to Krucam (MDShooters and here) for the file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13-42_reply_brief.pdf (87.9 KB, 29 views)
Old September 24, 2013, 05:22 PM   #334
press1280

All the new developments (Aguilar, and suicide of Abbott) are well covered by Gura. I love this zinger: Respondents
claim that the lower court “put the State to its burden,
and determined that the State had satisfied that
burden.” BIO 14. Some burden: “[I]t is the legislature’s
job, not ours, to weigh conflicting evidence and
make policy judgments.” App. 38a (citation omitted).

He also points out MD's "93.7%" approval rate is a farce, as the state stopped disclosing numbers of permits issued after 2011. After the District court win, applications went up 25%-obviously because people thought they now had a chance to actually get the permit.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:39 PM   #335
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

All the filings are now available at SCOTUSblog, as Woollard is cited as a case to be watched for the Oct. 11th conference.

Woollard v. Gallagher : SCOTUSblog
Old October 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #336
Tom Servo
Staff

Well, today came and went without anything being mentioned one way or another. I guess we'll have to wait for next Friday.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:14 PM   #337
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Tom, the results of a conference are generally made the following Monday. Since this Mon. is a holiday (Columbus Day), I don't expect we will know until after 10:00 am on Tuesday, when the orders are posted.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:42 AM   #338
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Orders have just come out - Cert Denied.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #339
Davey

Al, you beat me by one minute.

Here's the doc for all those interested.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/c...13zor_4g25.pdf

What else do we have in the pipe line to send to SCOTUS in regards to may issue?
Old October 15, 2013, 08:53 AM   #340
Jim March

Dammit.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

OK, this is getting annoying. Very...dang...annoying.

Arg.

Ghaaaa.

So now we get to see what the 9th is going to do next? They've likely been holding Peruta and Richards to see what The Supremes were gonna do, right?
Old October 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #341
heyjoe

no relief for the citizens of may issue states except to move or wait at least a few more years and hope.
Old October 15, 2013, 10:26 AM   #342
maestro pistolero

After reading all the briefs and amici, it seemed unimaginable that this wasn't ripe enough.

This is extremely disappointing. I only hope to God they are just waiting for the three cases out of the ninth circuit to be sure that all the issues are addressed when they finally take this up.
Old October 15, 2013, 11:28 AM   #343
Davey

Maybe they first want to rule on whether or not this is a right to carry in public at all. I imagine the IL cases would have been perfect.

Was the Wollard case going after the may issue law or carrying in public in general?
Old October 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #344
Jim March

Quote:
Was the Wollard case going after the may issue law or carrying in public in general?
Mainly may-issue, but Gura also pointed out that without a permit OC is banned too. Same as will come up in California if we appeal from there.

What the hell? Are the circuits going to be allowed to write "bear arms" out of the constitution completely, same as they came up with "collective right" not too long after the ink was dry on Miller? But there's already a circuit split, and the Puerto Rico Supreme Court has gone the other way (following the 7th and a right to bear).

What the heck is going on here? What else is in the pipeline? The DC case?

Are the US Supremes waiting for a case where gunnies win a "bear arms" case at the circuit level and then a state government appeals in the fashion that Illinois didn't?
Old October 15, 2013, 12:25 PM   #345
Tom Servo
Staff

They've denied cert to Kachalsky, and now to Woollard, despite a clear circuit split. I have to wonder if they're not simply trying to avoid deciding the issue.
Old October 15, 2013, 12:27 PM   #346
speedrrracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim March
What the heck is going on here? What else is in the pipeline? The DC case?
Next up is Drake: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434336
Old October 15, 2013, 05:02 PM   #347
press1280

I have to disagree, we do not yet have a circuit split. PR was their lower court, and CA7 dealt with a total carry ban. The other opinions like Kachalsky,exc. are weaseling out of confining the right to the home on paper, but in reality they are. I believe they're trying hard to avoid a split at all costs.
If we win with Richards/Peruta, we'll have split with Drake,Woollard, and Kachalsky.
If Palmer ever gets to the DC Circuit and we lose, it'll split with Moore. Those scenarios may be the key.
Old October 16, 2013, 11:51 AM   #348
Dan F

If anyone has an opinion, please chime in...

What is the possibility that Justice Kennedy is the wrench in the works for this issue, i.e. carry rights? I'd heard that he doesn't approve of it, so there would go our "majority". If the other 4 Justices from Heller and McDonald know he'd "defect" in a carry rights case, would they try to derail a cert petition? Does this kind of "politicking" go on in their deliberations, or is this theory totally off the mark?

It would REALLY suck if it's true, because that would mean we'd get a bad SCOTUS ruling if the issue is ever forced...

Dan
Old October 16, 2013, 01:00 PM   #349
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What is the possibility that Justice Kennedy is the wrench in the works for this issue
Pretty good, actually. I'd also worry about Roberts. He and Kennedy might be on board for the shotgun under the bed, but not so comfortable with folks carrying pistols in public. That the Founders meant to protect individual ownership of arms is easily proven. Their intentions on carry are a bit trickier to discern.

Another possibility is that Scalia wants to pull back from the brink a bit, as he's mentioned a couple of times in the recent past. We can also expect serious resistance from Ginsburg, and Breyer (especially Breyer) on the issue. They've made statements indicating they refuse to accept the Heller decision and that the 2nd Amendment is a militia clause and nothing more.
Old October 16, 2013, 01:00 PM   #350
JimDandy

Dan, absolutely there's politickin going on in case selection. I saw that scenario discussed during the DOMA/Prop 8 stuff. I only saw the article once, and one of the actual lawyer/court fans will have to correct anything I misremember but:

They decide on their cases in a conference. I think it's actually called In Conference. And there are apparently RULES and rules for how they should vote for or against cert. And the reporter suggested one of the judges may have played a little fast and loose with the lower case rules when voting for Cert, and the Court may have to somehow reverse granting cert thought a process I don't remember the name of.

Again, this was all speculation on the part of the reporter, and whatever he thought was going to happen somehow didn't.

But it does answer the question that yes, there is some level of politicking going on as far as case selection- at the very least in so far as judges won't grant cert in a case they want to "win" if they aren't pretty sure they've got a shot at "winning" the decision. It's better to leave it reviewable, than grant cert and have to find a way to tap dance around stare decisis.