The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Citywaterman

Berry's 9mm 115gr (RN) and 124 (FP) plated bullets I need load data help

A friend gave me 250 Berry 9mm 115gr round nose (RN) plated bullets. He also gave me a box of 250 Berry 9mm 124gr flat (FP) plated bullets. I have the Lee 9mm pistol 4 die set and plenty of 9mm brass. I'm a little unsure about the loading data when it comes to the plated bullets. I have access to several load manuals. My Lee manual has load data for 115 grain copper plated, listing 8 powders. V-N350, V-3N37, V-N340, V-N330, V-N320 (No luck finding Vihtavuori powders). They also list Accur #2, #5 and #7. The Speer manual lists TMJ bullets (Total metal Jacket) in their load manual and lists 15 powders. I have Bullseye and Titegroup powders that are listed. Any suggestions of a good power for these loads is welcome. I heard the TMJ (Speer bullet) is basically the same and their load data would work. I also heard that I can use load data for jacketed bullets (not sure how accurate that info is?). And I heard that load data for cast bullets is an option. I just want to make sure I'm using the correct load data. Does anyone have any suggestions of any other load data manual that I should refer too? I heard that the 9mm need a light taper crimp and the Lee factory crimp will be a good die for this caliber. The Lee manual list data 9mm 124 grain plated bullets (same powders as the 115 grain). The Speer manual only lists the 124 grain 9mm RN, 9mm UCSP (not sure what UCSP stands for) and the 9mm GDHP (Gold Dot hollow point). SO I'm not sure if the Speer data will be helpful for the 124 grain bullets. I'm told the OAL for 9mm is very important. The Speer manual list 1.135 and the Lee manual ranges from 1.100 to 1.142 depending on the powder. Any suggestions from experienced 9mm loaders will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Citywaterman

Last edited by Citywaterman; October 23, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old October 24, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
blaser.306

plated data!

Here in Canada we have a new manufacture/supplier of hard cast plated bullets , their sugestion is that the plated bullet should be loaded safely using up to and maybe slightly better than heavy cast data . Due to the fact that the plating all but removes the leading and fouling issue . I personaly have been using plated 124 gr. rn plated 9 mm bullets (sized .355) that are double struck in my Springfield Armory 1911 38 super open at mutch higher than reasonable velocity, 1400 ish fps with no accuracy issues at all ! The only thing that I have been cautioned about is over crimping when seating bullets as it is possible to "cut" the copper coating leading to eradic performance !
Old October 24, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
srsmith

Berry's FAQ on their web site says:
"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.aspx?q=9&c=1

I have used hundreds of these & they work great.
Stay <1200 fps.

As always, start low and work up carefully.

Be safe and have fun !
-steve