The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 1999, 11:10 PM   #1
cornered rat

I just got a Mak90 and hoped to add a Williams aperture sight to it. Turns out they are rather fragile, so I thought of getting a simple lagish aperture welded or somehow attached to the existing sight. Do you think it is doable and can the resulting contraption be durable?

Or...does anyone make better peep sights for AK/Mak90 rifles?
Old October 9, 1999, 09:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cornered, I've used the williams on SKSs with success. They aren't as fragile as they look. The last one I had lasted me two years and as far as I know is still on the rifle today. If you like, I can fabricate you one. I made one for Tshonk's Ruger Blackhawk recently and he seems pleased with it. George
Old October 9, 1999, 10:05 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rear aperture sights are nice and fast to use. However, if that aperture is mounted about 6" away from the eye, I'm unsure as to any advantage it may have over open sights. Where the rear sight is mounted 6" or so away from the eye (AK or SKS) and given dim light conditions, I'd stay with the open sights.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old October 9, 1999, 11:11 AM   #4
cornered rat

I am tempted to get colored front posts, or the inexpensive aperture sights...but I am not sure I want to mess with the original design unless it is absolutely necessary. I have hard time aligning the sights fast...would a thin white outline on the rear sight and (maybe?) a thin vertical line runing 1/3 of the width of the front post help? I am looking at S$W revolver sights that do benefit from the outline...

What kind of pain/enamel should I use on blued/painted metal?
Old October 9, 1999, 06:08 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Suggest getting a color chip card free from paint shop or one from a hobby shop. Alternatively, Mrs. Rat can drop into the fingernail section for a color chart for you (yep, I've seen guys ask their girlfriends, wives, sisters for the stuff for the same purpose). Take out to range and field and contrast against target backdrop. You're the best to determine which color works best for your eyes. Once you've figured out the color, you know which to buy.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt