The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 7, 2000, 09:59 AM   #1
PJ11B3VF7

Does anyone know anything about a Krink variant of an AK-47. I have one that I've owned for about 10 yrs. It's pre-ban and it has a side folding stock that folds to the right. I'm now finally trying to research it. Any ideas
Old February 7, 2000, 11:14 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Do you mean AK 47 or 74 variant? The AKS-74U was the original Soviet short-barrelled machinegun. Several other countries also made a variant, the Polish Onyx (5.45) and Mini-Beryl (5.56), Galil MAR carbine (5.56), Hungarian AMD-65 (7.62mm), AK 104 (7.62), AKMS-U (7.62)
What sort of markings are on it? What of the flash hider? etc.
Old February 7, 2000, 05:32 PM   #3
PJ11B3VF7

Fal, thanks for the info. I'll have to look up the AKMS-U I think that may be it. The flash suppressor looks like the one on the AKS-74U. The furniture is wood, the serial number is on the left side of the receiver and the markings for safe and full auto look like they were stamped in a t a later date from the original manufacture. Thanks again for the ideas.
Old February 8, 2000, 10:04 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Did a little more reading on this. I think yours may be the AKMS-U also. Besides being nicknamed krinkov it's also called AKR. It lacks the standard fire-rate reducer system. It also has a folding U-section butt with three rivets and a single long flute on each side. Omitting the cleaning rod allows the short, finned expansion chamber on the ultra-short barrel to be fitted with a conical flash hider. The front-site block has been moved back to abutt the laminated wooden barrel guard, and a chequered plastic pistol grip is used in conjunction with a short wooden thumbhole foreend. The sling attaches by means of a D-ring to a bracket on the left side of the front-site block.
The base of the rocking-"L" back sight is combined with the receiver-cover pivot, the sight being regulated for 100m (marked with wht looks like the pi symbol) and 500m (marked '-5'). Adjustments to the point of impact can be made by rotating the front sight.
Above info from Kalashnikov Machine Pistols, Assault Rifles and Machine-Guns, 1945 to the Present by John Walter
You should be able to find more info and links at www.kalashnikov.guns.ru
Old February 8, 2000, 03:55 PM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

fal308. Thanks for the great help, I've bee looking at the kalashnikov site and I think you're right when you say that mine may be the AKMS-U. My pistol grip is wooden though and my stock is a single rod that forms a triangular buttstock(?). I really appreciate your help. Now with that as a stepping stone, let me ask you if you can point me to some place/book that will let me learn more about the FNFAL/L1A1. ie what should i be looking for, should I get one that is metric or inch(?) etc. I appreciate your time

Old February 9, 2000, 09:30 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

When you start talking FALs now you're talking What is pretty much agreed to as the standard book on the FAL is The FAL Rifle by Blake Stevens from Collector Publications. It's not cheap, currently runs $US 120-130. I've had my copy for several years now. Also get the manual for it.
As to which version to get. The most desireable is one of the original FN versions; 50.xx (i.e. 50.63, 50.64). These are commanding serious money nowadays though. $3500 is becoming a fairly good deal apparantly. I've seen them going for upwards of $5K . Now this is for the real deal. For under $2K you can buy a complete firearm from one of several manufacturers (DSA, Entreprise, Hesse, DPMS). For under a grand you can build from a kit or buy from Century. StG58 kits are available and several companies make upper receivers. All the listed companies also make uppers (the serial numbered part).
Beware though as some of these companies seem to have a QC problem and turn out substandard products.
To get info from the real experts visit the falfiles message board at www.fnfal.com. Some of those guys forget more about FALs in one day than I'll ever know.
Old February 9, 2000, 01:50 PM   #7
PJ11B3VF7

fal308, Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. As a matter of fact I'm going to Phoenix this weekend so I think I'll swing by Arizona Response Systems while I'm there and take a look see. Hehehehe. Well there goes that refund a bit extra. Thanks again and good shooting
Old February 10, 2000, 09:23 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Now I'm really envious A real Krink and getting an ARS FAL. I'd love to have one of his 16" carbines
Old February 10, 2000, 10:08 AM   #9
PJ11B3VF7

fal 308. Hehehe. Yeah, well the krink is real, I don't know if I'll be able to afford the FAL, but maybe I can talk the GF into bying it for me. Oh by the way, I put together a CAR 15 a few years ago on a Bushmaster lower, heavy 16" barrel, all M-4 furniture to include railed upper and 4 posotion stock. lucky me. Now I just need the main battle rifle and the 870 from Scattergun technologies and I'll be a happy man.

Good shooting

------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick (Yeah I know I stole it)
Old February 11, 2000, 09:38 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've got two lowers (one left handed) and three uppers in AR and three FAL clones (CAI and kits) plus some combat shotguns plus....well, you get the point. Am thinking of getting an AK or two down the road. Especially like the looks of the Krinks. Did you look at the experimental page on the link? There are some very cool looking firearms Shooting the un-PC firearms is a lot of fun, especially when the local club a-holes come up to complain about "killer guns". Especially like the looks of the Krink.
BTW at Knob Creek last fall some vendor (C&S ?) was advertising that they would be coming out with a Krinkov conversion for the 10/22