The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2009, 05:21 PM   #1
BlindMansBluff

Dude, I'm getting a Glock!

For lack of a better term, I now see the light! all Glock loyalists can now cheer. *waits to hear cheering. hearing none he continues*.

Well after 2.5HR of training today I sat down and had a heart to heart talk with my trainer, he listened and grasped on and understood everything i wanted. He says pending any Restrictions on me being blind (which I am not sure why there would be, the 11 by 11 target is a piece of cake for me believe me) He'll support me all the way and not only give me the CCW course but a Weapons retension as well.

and wow, was I horribly wrong about the Glock, we took it down today, (more like pulled it in half, lol!) and I mean wow, I guess you can say even a blind man can do it, even in the dark! lol. then we work on racking, taking down some more and we hit the range.

My rack is the best baby! I rack the damn slide like a great big man, showing it who's the man, who's the big boss!

Ok now I'm rabling, but I am 130.00 away from my Glock17 and I am now saving for it. New in Box.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 12, 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Hellbilly5000

How much are you paying for this glock?
Old May 12, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
kristop64089

BMB, I have the utmost respect, AND curiosity for you, and what you are doing.

i have a few questions(I know, there is an elephant in the room):
- Are you totally blind?
- What all does your spotter do for you?
- How will the state grant you a CCW?
- Did you throw your range officer for a curve the first time you went in?

I mean no disrespect, as we have a local chapter of blind archers, but this is apples-and-oranges.

As far as Glock goes. Drink the Kool-aid, take it all in. they are excellent, utilitarian guns, simple to maintain, and operate. Tough as woodpecker lips, and built for years of service.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Old May 12, 2009, 05:41 PM   #4
JDG

Glocks are awesome guns! None simpler to take down, and assemble. Good luck in your quest for a CCW!
Old May 12, 2009, 06:02 PM   #5
BlindMansBluff

kristop64089
Yes I am blind totally blind can't see nothing but pitch black, been that way now for about 8 years.

My spotter well he spots, kind of look like a leppercon, *Smiles*. No really he is there for liability, he makes sure I aim on the paper and not constantly shooting the cealing or something so says the Range Officer.

and yes, the very first time I went to the Range they crapped their pants. it took allot of convincing and a threat that instead of being a loyal customer and spending all my money there, I would have taken my money to a lawyer and take all of the Ranges money.

But really it was my Trainer who talked them in to letting me in, sure the lawyer thing scared thhem but I am sure he went to bat for me.

My trainer and I had a great really great Heart to Heart talk today, it was awsome and he b believes in me, I know he does and that means allot.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 12, 2009, 06:24 PM   #6
cjw3cma

Dude, I'm getting a Glock!

Sorry about that, but a trip to your doctor might help.

This coming from a 1911 guy.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:32 PM   #7
tblt44

Ok If I were you I would get a sp101 in 357 or an ultra light revolver in 38.
I think you need the hard trigger pull and the reliability of a revolver(no jams)
By the way how are you reading this
Old May 12, 2009, 06:43 PM   #8
kristop64089

Hate to hijack your thread boss, but...I think it would be really cool, if you video taped your sessions, to show us your progression. I have NO doubts, that you will be able to fine tune your abilities, especially if shooting reactive targets.

I have such faith, because my mother was born deaf, has overcome many obstacles in her 54years, and one that she has more or less conquered is, communication with the hearing.

AND since I can't make it to Phoenix, ya can bring it to me
Old May 12, 2009, 06:45 PM   #9
kristop64089

And you can do a Glock with a New York trigger. It gives you a heavier trigger pull(8 or 10 lbs IIRC) if you think ya want it. I don't think a hard trigger pull is in order, as that allows for more force, which in turn can push/pull shots. My buddy's PA-63 has a 30lb pull or something ridiculous, and I C.H.S. with it.
Old May 12, 2009, 06:54 PM   #10
SavageMOA

Quick question..... How is it possible to read a computer screen when you are completely blind?

Last edited by SavageMOA; May 12, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:30 PM   #11
djohn

I assume Bilindmansbluff is using a Screen reader and speech.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:46 PM   #12
RT

Wow, interesting story. Congratulations on your new Glock. I to have drunk and enjoyed the Kool-aid.
Try out the G19 if you get a chance. Some folks find it fits better in the hand than the G17.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
CortJestir

Dude, you should have gotten a Dell.
Old May 12, 2009, 08:14 PM   #14
azredhawk44

BMB, I'd love to witness a blind man shooting.

(A blind man shooting a gun at targets... not a blind man getting shot! Get your heads out of the gutter, people! )

I'm in north Phoenix/Glendale area. While I admit to being somewhat judgemental at times, I have listened with much interest to your posts on this forum. I would love to meet you at the range some time and see how you and your spotter do things.

What range do you go to with your trainer and spotter?
Old May 12, 2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Chris_B

Blind men used to drive trucks...of course they were window treatment salesmen in delivery vans, but hey, they were blind men
Old May 12, 2009, 08:26 PM   #16
2ndamd

Rock on brother!
That Glock will serve you well. Good guns. The ease of take down should be a good fit for you.

Good to see another citizens taking care of himself.
I worked in a maximum security prison where 2 cops were on every corner and that place was dangerous. We had a blind bank robber (funny story I can tell you later) that we had to look out for. The other inmates would take advantage of him without us protecting him.
When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away
Rock on man. Rock on!
Old May 12, 2009, 09:56 PM   #17
BlindMansBluff

Wow, I am wondering if I should answer all the questions at once or one by one, lets try all together.

+1 and an extra Glock mag (if I had one to give) go to djohn on the screen reader. go read here all you curious ones, on how I use the computer http://www.freedomscientific.com

I use a screen read and it talks like a robot and reads to me, I control what is being read by commands assign to keys. and although it would be the coolest thing in the world to do it, No I Don't Talk To My Computer!

If you have followed any of my posts, I already have a revolver, its a .38 made mby Taurus and before we get in to the Taurus is crap thing I can say my gun is 20 years old and I have not experienced a malfunction yet. Grant it, I just got it two weeks ago but I have put 200 rounds through it and its a beauty. so please don't dis me and rain on my peraid.

Oh, and before I forget about video, I do have a camera that I take with me. I believe I had one of my spotters take some video of me, but when I brought it home and stuck it on my MSI Wind Netbook I believe it is Mac formatted. and I get find my usb card reader for my Macbook to pull the video off it. I desperately want to post the video on my blog.

So as soon as I find the card reader I will pull the video off the card and post it.

and to the dude in PHX meet me any time, I go to Shooter's World on N 27th Ave and Indian School RD. Maybe you can spot for me a time or two huh? hell if I could go to the range everyday I would. thing is I don't have a spotter available everyday.

ok all hope I answered all the questions

P.S. I want to sooner or later rent a Cool type Rifle and a shotgun and fire those, I have no experience in either so it would be fun. I want to fire an AK 47 or an SKS and a 12gage with 0 Buck. just for the feel of it. also maybe even an M14/16 or is it the same experience as the AK47?

Old May 12, 2009, 10:01 PM   #18
BlindMansBluff

Hey 2ndamd I want to hear the blind bank robber story. and I am kind of confused. I thought when some one who is disabled goes to the prison, they are visibly marked with a shirt/vest as a part of the uniform they have to ware everyday with the words "Visially Impaired" for example if they are blind. also I have been told they have limitted contact with the General Population.

Old May 12, 2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Philo_Beddoe
Multiply registered, multiply banned troll.

Quote:

None simpler to take down, and assemble
except a makarov or revolver
Old May 12, 2009, 11:37 PM   #20
Kyo

Although I support you for doing what you want, I don't know if I agree with you having a CCW. Yes, it is for the fact that you cannot see. I think its bad ass that you can hit targets better than me and you are blind, but at the same time, how will carrying a gun help if you can't see what you are shooting? What is the purpose of wanting this CCW? Is someone always going to be spotting you? This is pretty controversial. I mean, this is America, if you want it and are legally allowed I don't see why not if you just want to.

On the other side of the coin I can understand that not being able to see can in fact make you an easier target. I can also understand from that point why you would want to carry. I also know that if you lose one of your senses you have to rely on the others more, so they get sharpened. This is true, I have tested this and seen it myself.

Well, since this guy wants to train you, I would also assume it will be specialized for your needs partly if not entirely. I say good luck to you sir, and keep with the updates. This is new to me.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:24 AM   #21
BlindMansBluff

would you feel better to know I currently open carry depending on my comfort level of my environment. also I conceal carry in my home.

I understand where you are coming from I just thing you are sceptical due to the fact you just don't understand.

I am smart enough to know when I am out in the real world I can "Not" point aim and shoot. any type of pull would have to be at point blink range, almost in full body contact and any time I pull would require me to shoot immedietly no questions asked.

and yes, my instructor is a smart man, he knows the challenges of the training of a blind man, but he is up to it. and we already have gotten far with today's meeting.

Old May 13, 2009, 12:57 AM   #22
Kyo

im not skeptical at all. But like I said, although I don't agree, I do support. I do mean that in all of its spirit. Do what makes you happy. I have done plenty of things that people don't or wont agree with, and they know I will do it cause it makes me happy, and they support me. Sometimes it is what it is right?
Actually I am now curious because I want some of that training in case my vision is ever impaired. It can happen in the real world. That would be interesting to say the least. Can you record said training? Or is that not allowed due to teacher secrets?
Old May 13, 2009, 01:31 AM   #23
Sport45

I have had a cordial conversation with Gabe via PM. I believe he understands the consequences of discharging a firearm into the unknown. We've also discussed home security issues.

It is my opinion that his self defense use should be limited to contact shooting of an aggressor who is physically attacking him and that he should not be taking shots at suspicious or threatening sounds. I feel that his revolver is his best self defense weapon since it can't be forced out of battery when shoved into an aggressor's ribs/belly. I also contend that it is easier to conceal than a G17 and every bit as effective if loaded with 158gr LSWCHP +P or Speer's 135gr SB JHP +P.

I am okay with his pursuit of a CCL as long as he understands his responsibility to not endanger others as he attempts to protect himself. In that regard, he's no different than the rest of us.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:24 AM   #24
GuyMontag

While I congratulate your purchase, I remain confused.

Please look at my questions as pure curiosity rather than criticism and I do back your rights to be a gun owner.

How is a blind man with a gun a good idea? It would seem to me that a gun becomes a melee weapon in a sense in that you would (or should) be within an arm's reach of an attacker in order to be sure of your target. It seems to me that if you weren't in direct contact with an attacker, you'd violate one of the four most basic gun safety rules; Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

My other curiosity is that in a time of adrenaline filled fight or flight, what happens when an attacker flees and someone comes to help you. In thinking that the help is the attacker, you shoot the help?

Respectfully, I ask you to help me understand.

EDIT: I think Sport45 and I were typing at the same time.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:12 AM   #25
BlindMansBluff

Hi GuyMontag:

1. I promise you once I am in contact with a BG they would have to do some very desperate moves to "Run away at that point" once I have any arms length grip and they are in my immediet zone I can almost garennty they were at that point just asking for it.
2. if the BG has ran away and obvious I "Hear" them run away why would I shoot the next person coming up to me for? Why wouldn't I just call the cops and request their help.
3. and usually when some one wants to help they usually let it know before hand before they are too close. I get that all the time when some one wants to help me accross the street for instance.
4. I hope and pray that you with the questions aren't soldiers or leos because that scares me that you would be so helpless in your positions if temporarily blinded for any reason and you would just drop to the floor and flop around like a fish if blinded by dust, a punch to the eye or the nose or something.
6. as I said before I have been told by many that Martial Arts PPL and Soldiers for the United states offten get taught how to function in the dark and to use all senses including touch when out in the field in the dark. So I guess I am finding it hard why people are so confused about this.

I appreciate the questions, but its almost like wow, did I lose my bbrain fuctions when I went blind?

Tags
glock , happy