The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 13, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1
DreamerChaser

788 LH & Tmney trigger replacement

I have late 1970's model of the Remington 788 (.308) in a LH model. The rifle is unique in that the bolt is on the left, but ejects to the right. Also, the safety is on the right - same as the right handed 788.

I emailed Timney and got a response from Heather - nice gal - that they don't offer a trigger for the left hand 788. I replied that from the pictures of the Timney 788 trigger I've seen, it appears that safety, pins and C-clip are oriented very similar to the actual - stock - trigger on my rifle. She responded that it should work.

I was hoping someone on this site might have hands on experience with replacing a 788 trigger on a LH model, or more knowledge in the differences between the RH and LH models of the 788. As it stands, based on the pictures, I can't see how it wouldn't work. Am I missing something?

Lastly, I would consider having my stock trigger lightened and tuned, but I haven't had any luck locating a true gunsmith in Wisconsin. If anyone knows of a gunsmith that works on 788 trigger that would be helpful.

Thanks,

John