The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Tom-C

Hi-Power recoil spring guide pin

Hi,

I had two Hi-Powers apart yesterday at the same time and noticed that one had one had a ball detent at both ends of the spring guide and the the other only had one in the hole where the slide stop pin goes through. The one on the end where the slide stop pin goes, goes into a detent on the slide stop pin. I have no idea what the other does. Any thoughts
Old February 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is just a manufacturing shortcut. There is a spring inside the recoil spring guide that powers that ball in the back, and the ball in turn acts to push down and also help retain the slide stop. (The magazine follower pushes it up when the magazine is empty.)

Originally, a cylindrical plug screwed into the front end of the guide to keep the spring in place. But that involved machining and threading the plug and threading the guide, as well as cutting a slot in the plug. Around 1981, they changed to a simple ball bearing that was held in place by swaging over the end of the guide. Not many people ever noticed the difference.

Jim
Old February 16, 2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Tom-C

Thanks Jim,

Of the four I looked at, the two older ones has a plug and the two newer had the ball.

Have there been any problems with the swage opening and the ball releasing the spring?
Old February 16, 2009, 04:23 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I never heard of any problem. That spring just isn't powerful enough to open up the swaging, and there is no other stress on it. The ball can't be removed for cleaning, but the guide is a sealed unit and I cannot imagine why anyone would need or want to get inside it.

Jim