The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2008, 01:03 PM   #1
.38Catt

Anyone ever worn out a Ruger P95?

Have you shot out, worn out, retired a Ruger P95? I have the latest version w/ the rail. Had some FTE issues early, but I seem to have resolved them. I'm looking at "simplifing" my collect, considating calibers, etc. and I really would like a second P95. So, have you worn out a P95?

Also, other than the picatinny rail and a more textured grip, was anything else done to the latest P95? Are they any less reliable than the original. I've read of other FTE "issues", but, hey, its the internet.

Thanks,

.38Catt
Old October 4, 2008, 01:47 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've not heard of anyone wearing a P95 out, but I wouldn't bet that it's never been done. I'd like to hear the story though...

Other than the changes you describe the new P95 is the same as the old one. The only other difference is to the model lineup, not the gun. Ruger no longer sells decock-only autopistols.

There are no design reasons why the new P95 should be different in terms of reliability or durability but my impression is that perhaps Ruger QA isn't quite what it used to be.
Old October 4, 2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Jay1958

I have two P95DC's, one in stainless and one blue. The blued one has almost 3,000 rounds thru it, the stainless has over 2,000 rounds fired. Neither one shows any significant wear.

The finish on the slide of the blued model is about the only place that doesn't look 'excellent to like new' on either one... the blued slide has taken on a dark burgundy color...? It's eight years old.

Last edited by Jay1958; October 6, 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
plateshooter

Back when Wolf 9mm ammo was $85.00 per thousand, I would put several cases through my P95 each plate shooting season. I don't know the exact round count, but I would conservatively guess 15K+. It is a little looser now than when it was new, but it's far from worn out. I have about 20 hi cap mags from several manufactures for it, and they all feed and function properly. My P95 has been good to me.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:59 PM   #5
MrNiceGuy

i have one of the old decocker only models
i've been ruthless in regards to that pistol.
in return, it's been completely reliable.

like what was said earlier. i've never heard of anyone wearing it out, but wouldnt bet the farm against it.... if it has happened though, i'd sure like to hear the story as well
Old October 4, 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
ImDisaster

I did read once, of a guy who mentioned his P95 lost accuracy after many rounds were through it. If I recall it was related to the barrel to slide fit getting looser. Can't recall the round count it took.
Old October 4, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
IdahoG36

I had one about 3 years ago, and put about 3000 rounds through it. I then sold it to my brother, who has shot a ton of rounds through it as well. It is the newest railed model. I never had any malfunctions with it, and my brother says he hasn't either. It is still going strong.
As a matter of fact, I was eyeballing 2 new P95s at my local shop today. They are the all black railed model. NIB price was $309. Not a bad price for a reliable gun that is built like a tank. I have been considering getting another one for a while to use as a range gun. Cheap gun and cheap ammo= cheap practice sessions.
Old October 5, 2008, 12:34 AM   #8
denfoote

Quote:
i have one of the old decocker only models
i've been ruthless in regards to that pistol.
in return, it's been completely reliable.
Same here!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old October 5, 2008, 06:43 AM   #9
blume357

Seems like there was somebody either on this forum or

over at the ruger forum:

http://www.rugerforum.org/phpBB/view...56f6b796622f2c

that put something like 18 - 20 thousand rounds through one and even though it was loose as a goose it still went bang.
Old October 5, 2008, 06:00 PM   #10
on demand gunshop

i didnt know you can where one of these out! they are a tank of handguns
Old October 5, 2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Hemicuda

I have tried like hell to wear out a KP-89-DC... to the tune of close to 150,000 rounds... (I've owned it for about 18 years... and used it in the police academy, when I attended in '92/'93)

at about 100,000 rounds, I had to replace the mainspring... it plain-out quit working... but the mainspring is it... not one other pin, nut, bolt, or anything...

it is as accurate as it ever was... and still functions flawlessly... even the original mags are still working...

If the P-95 is half as well built, you can come back on here in 20 years and tell us how well it's still working...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:13 PM   #12
bigghoss

had mine for 4 years and shoot it a lot. still working on wearing it out. got a long way to go.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:56 PM   #13
BlueSix

I purchased a used P95d that showed some FTE issues after a few trips to the range, but I haven't sent it in for repairs or used it since then. Great gun, otherwise.
Old October 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #14
b.thomas

Bought one of the new model p95pr (blue) about four months ago and had nothing but trouble with it. Started off with the mag dropping out then a fail to extract. replaced mag catch spring and took care of the mag drop, replaced the extractor and still have a fte problem.
Currently with the local gunsmith for the last three weeks, a couple more and I should have it back? If it weren't so damn accurate I'd use it for a boat anchor and if the smith can't fix it I still just might!
Old October 6, 2008, 08:16 AM   #15
Smaug

If you're thinking of simplifying your collection, why would you buy a second P95? From this thread, there is very little chance you'll wear yours out.

Save the money and buy more ammo and continue your attempts to wear yours out.

My P90 had thousands of rounds through it, and the only wear it showed was just a bit on the tapered part of the guide rod and a slightly chipped extractor from me letting the slide slam shut on chambered rounds. It worked perfectly for the 10 years I had it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer