The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: What is my next (and final) purchase going to be?
CZ 550 American .308 20" Threaded €790 10 19.61%
CZ 550 Varmint .308 25" €950 9 17.65%
Ruger M77 Std Hawkeye .308 €800-900 11 21.57%
Savage Axis XP .308 €600? 0 0%
Something else? 21 41.18%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Rifle choice. What to pick when you don't know what you need!

This thread was inspired by a comment in my Match Barrel thread made by TFL Mod, Art Eatman.

He remarked:
Quote:
Odds are that if you think it through about your intended purpose, we can give better answers to well-thought-out questions concerning that purpose.
And yet, truth is, I don't know everything I want to do with it. I only know what I'll mostly be doing with it: target shooting.

But I also know that I'd like it to at least be a viable choice for hunting. I have never hunted, but I am getting up to speed with the hunting laws locally and may give it a go.

So my wants:
  1. A bolt action in .308.
  2. A gun with which I can slowly creep up in competence and perhaps one day manage that 1km shot!!
  3. A gun that could conceivably be used in hunting, even if not ideal (over here, hunting is a day long events, not days long).
  4. A gun that I can shoot gently, or shoot quickly, repetitively, should the mood or the need arise (hence my "match barrel" thread).
  5. Cheaper the better, but not to buy something not fit to purpose. Between selling my old gun and some cash I have put aside I'll have about €650-700. The rest, I'll need to save.

Additional considerations:
  1. I have the scope and rings to fit a CZ. Hence a CZ would be advantageous
  2. I'd like detachable mags, hence a CZ would be advantageous
  3. I am moderately recoil shy: .308 from my existing rifle is plenty!

So my main choices:

-CZ 550 American 20" (with detachable mags and a threaded barrel) €790
-CZ 550 Varmint 25" (with detachable mags and a heavy barrel) €950

Wildcard choices:
-Ruger Hawkeye Std M77 20" (integral mag, not threaded, quite expensive, no scope rings included, but seemingly better finish despite a couple of scratches from being on display...) €850
-Savage Axis XP? €600 ish Pretty basic model.

After this purchase, I don't think there with be another for quite some time, so this choice needs to be good.
It needs to be what most guns are not: a jack of all trades. I am happy to work round things like weight, if it gives me some of the characteristics I want but aside from that I am really not sure what to go for...
Old March 15, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
alex0535

-CZ 550 American 20" (with detachable mags and a threaded barrel) €790
-CZ 550 Varmint 25" (with detachable mags and a heavy barrel) €950

Either of those. the 20" if you ever plan to get a suppressor for it or want to take it hunting. 25" heavy barrel if you want to reach way out there for target shooting.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Poll Responders:

If you chose "something else" it helps to say what it is you had in mind. And sticking to the CZ range is best as other brands are thin on the ground here.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Jerry45

I voted for the -CZ 550 Varmint 25" (with detachable mags and a heavy barrel) €950. You can always have it threaded if you want to install a brake or suppressor. You can always heave it cut shorter if you decide you want it shortened but you can't make the 20" barrel longer if you don't like it. Also you can put more rounds through the heavy barre before it heats up. It may be heavier to carry for hunting but you can do more shooting at the range before letting it cool. Also the heavy longer barrel will help tame the recoil a little more than the short light barrel will.

I love my 527 Heavy Varmint in .223. I was looking for a 550 Varmint but the panic here in the States has them all gone. Now that I have my 06 shooting the way I want no more need for the 550.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 15, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:12 PM   #5
AllenJ

The CZ 550 American would be my choice of those listed, for your purpose.

Last edited by AllenJ; March 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
bedlamite

I'd get a Savage 14.
Old March 16, 2013, 02:00 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

600 Euros for a Savage Axis!?
It isn't worth that.

If you like the CZs, I would definitely stick with them over the Ruger. I love my Rugers, but I don't think they're worth cost if you have to compromise on your preferred scope mounting system and magazine preference (and buy new rings). The safety on the Ruger is also opposite that of the CZs - Ruger's operates the proper way. So, you'd have to get used to the different 'safe' and 'fire' positions.

If you plan to spend almost all of your time with this rifle at a range, I'd go with the Varmint model. But, if you think there may be a fair amount of hunting (requiring carrying the rifle), I'd seriously consider the American.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

With respect to use of a target rifle in hunting: During my healthy and much-younger years, my pet hunting rifle weighed 9.5 pounds. 4.4 kilos. I did many and many a walking hunt of fifteen kilometers or more in desert mountain country, about 1,300 meters above sea level. 1.8 meters in height and 82 kilos in weight did not make me any sort of Mr. Muscle.

So, for relatively short walks to a stand, a heavy rifle is (IMO) no big deal.

It's less about strength and more about physical condition.

As far as dealing with recoil, modern recoil pads such as the LimbSaver are far superior to those of past decades.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
As far as dealing with recoil, modern recoil pads such as the LimbSaver are far superior to those of past decades.
When I was a young man I don't really notice the recoil my Remmy 700 30-06. Hadn't shot in many years and when I did recently it kicked like a mule. So I put a brake on it. Still had a punch so I add a LimbSavor slip-on. Much better! I just put it in a compost stock that came with a very nice recoil pad. I now shoot it without the brake. Point being you're absolutely correct about modern recoil pads.
Old March 17, 2013, 08:06 PM   #10
jmr40

For your intended purpose the CZ 550 Varmit is the logical choice. If you really plan on shooting 1,000 meters you need all the velocity help you can get and the longer barrel delivers. For a primary hunting rifle something lighter would suit MY needs better. Especially the way I hunt and the terrrain I hunt in. Or even for closer range target shooting.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:48 PM   #11
SerenityNetworks

Re: Rifle choice. What to pick when you don't know what you need!

I'm looking at the 550 Varmint with the laminate stock in .308 for my next purchase. I have much the same requirements/aspirations as the OP. I have the 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger for my short range rifle. It is absolutely my favorite rifle.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:24 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

Top of the Baltic?

Sounds like you are set on 308 Winchester...... I'm not sure what country you are in but I was wondering if 6.5mm x 55mm Swede might not be a good choice for you with less recoil. I would choose a 270 Winchester or 30-'06; but that makes less sense where you live.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:18 AM   #13
Water-Man

Tikka T3.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Husqvarna

didn't you get a .308 already?

CZ has got a bolt action in the ak47 round, can you get cheap ammo that way? (former Soviet republic and all that) not a 1km rifle perhaps but still.

the ruger from what I know isn't considered a long range gun

You got plenty of boars in driven hunts, maybe considerer a semi-auto (one of the ak-derivates like saiga, vepr etc etc) or a pump or lever action
Old March 18, 2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Saltydog235

Lost me at next (and final).
Old March 18, 2013, 09:10 PM   #16
stu925

Take a look at the Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light. Chambered in .308 Win with a fluted Medium heavy barrel and tips the scales at 7lbs 8oz. Internal magazine will be a con for you I'm sure but that medium heavy barrel should prove very accurate and the weight shouldn't be too bad for hunting although might be a bit heavy if you're doing a lot of walking.

Stu
Old March 18, 2013, 10:14 PM   #17
PVL

A 1,000 yard .308 that would also be good for hunting?

Sure, why not?
Old March 19, 2013, 12:48 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Take a look at the Winchester Model 70 Coyote Light. Chambered in .308 Win with a fluted Medium heavy barrel and tips the scales at 7lbs 8oz...
Mr. Pond lives in Estonia.
He doesn't quite have the options that we do in the States, and Down Under. Even if something he didn't list is available, it may have an astronomical price tag.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:01 PM   #19
Pond, James Pond

Fixed it for you... unfortunately...

Quote:
Even if something he didn't list is available, it WILL have an astronomical price tag (along with all the other shooting goods).
Well, someone may say that I've been posting and asking, asking and posting and that nothing will come of it and it's all taking too long.
I say my having the urge to ask was just life's way of making me hang back for a bit.

And a good thing too because this morning I saw an ad for a secondhand rifle and I went to see it.

I got the bore measured and it appears to be very under used as well as clean. I know that I had said about wanting a new rifle, but really what that meant was a rifle with plenty of service left in it and nearly new works for me. Bottom line is that I put a %10 deposit down on it and will finalise the purchase at the police registry next Tuesday.

"What is it?" I hear you ask... A nearly new CZ 550 Varmint for almost half the retail price at €500!!

If all goes to plan, then I should be fondling it at this time on Tuesday night!! Thanks for all the pointers, folks, but I think we have a winner!
Old March 22, 2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Picher

You're talking about a custom rifle, at standard hunting rifle prices. If I were you, I'd want a Remington 700 BDL Varmint in 7mm-08, .260 Rem or .308 Win with a 6-24X +/- Leupold. However, even that will set you back more than you thought.

Next down might be a Tikka T3 Hunter in .308 Win, with a 4-12X Leupold. Accuracy potential is pretty much there, but lacking target-quality repeatability, due to stock forend shape and heavier weight that makes shooting longer strings at the range more comfortable.

Maybe, get a sporter rifle now, and get a Mcmillan or other long-range target rifle stock for it later?

Maybe just buy a rifle that suits more of your shooting needs now, then buy another rifle to hunt with later?
Old March 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #21
jglsprings

Since I'm getting to spend your money I chose the CZ 550 Varmint .308 25" €950. Everyone needs a varmint rig.

Lot's of help I'm sure - you can thank me later when you put a scope that costs more than the rifle on it.

Commas save lives...
Old March 23, 2013, 12:08 AM   #22
Mezzanine

*cough* Remington *cough* *cough* 700 *cough*

Edit: didnt read all posts, non USA customer, *cough* reasonable *cough* *cough* price *cough*
Old March 23, 2013, 07:35 AM   #23
phil mcwilliam

Congratulations on the purchase of your CZ 550 varmit in 308. CZ's are known as accurate rifles straight from the box.
Now go and shot that rifle & become proficient with its use. Once you have tried various factory ammunition &/or tweaked your handloads you should be able to achieve regular 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The CZ's are capable of this.
Once you have achieved this on a regular basis, start worrying about match barrels & other modifications in your quest for sub MOA groups.
If you have practised enough & can achieve sub MOA groups regularly at 200 yards, then the 1000 yard targets may be a challenge for you.
I always find it amusing when people on the internet say they want a 1000 yard capable rifle without being able to shoot proficiently at 100 ,200 ,300 yards.
I wait in anticipation for the thread titled-"I've bought a second-hand CZ550 varmit in 308 & it doesn't group". If this is the case you should have gone the .223.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:57 AM   #24
steveNChunter

I voted "something else" and I had in mind a Savage 111 long range hunter.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Old March 23, 2013, 09:49 AM   #25
BigD_in_FL

For a final purchase, there in the Baltics, how about a nice combo or drilling?
Closed Thread