The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 1, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Wildthang

Savage Model 12 bolt problem

I have a new Savage model 12 low profile varmint rifle, and the bolt does not seem to lock fully downward into the full battery position. I have tried everything I know how to do and it does not lock down, and the bolt handle sticks straight out at a right angle to the rifle. The thing is it will snap the firing pin in this position and would probably fire this way, but I know this isn't right, so I am not going to fire this rifle until I figure out what is going on!
Old December 1, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Mobuck

My bet is a piece of styrofoam or other packing material is jammed in the locking lug recess.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:24 PM   #3
hoghunting

Or one of the screws on your front base is too long and preventing the bolt from fully closing.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Does it do this always or only if you try to chamber a round?
Old December 1, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Wildthang

I have not tried to chamber a round, sort of worried about getting a round stuck in the chamber. The bolt should lock fully into the downward position without a round in the chamber, shouldn't it?
Old December 1, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it should.
There's probably a good chance there's something in the locking lug recess.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Jimro

Loosen the front action screw, see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you need to shorten the action screw or install a pillar to keep the screw from jamming into the action.

If that doesn't fix the problem, take out the front scope base screws and see if your bolt goes down freely. If that fixes the problem, then you need to shorten the scope base screws the appropriate amount, then loctite them into place.

Jimro
Old December 2, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
wingman

[QUOTE]If that doesn't fix the problem, take out the front scope base screws and see if your bolt goes down freely. If that fixes the problem, then you need to shorten the scope base screws the appropriate amount, then loctite them into place.[/QUOTE

That would be my first guess also.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Wildthang

Thanks guys, I will try that and see what happens. By actions screw, I assume you are talking about the front stock mounting screw!
Old December 2, 2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Cowboy_mo

Uh, you did say NEW???

Take it back or send it back to Savage....... No reason to have to mechanic a NEW firearm for something like this.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Thanks guys, I will try that and see what happens. By actions screw, I assume you are talking about the front stock mounting screw!
We're referring the scope base mounting screws on the top of the action, which if the screws are two long up front can mess with the locking lugs..
Old December 3, 2012, 09:07 PM   #12
TPAW

[QUOTE) Take it back or send it back to Savage....... No reason to have to mechanic a NEW firearm for something like this.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old December 4, 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
cw308

Sounds like your bolt locking lug is hitting your scope base screw. At the store it must have cycled, the fix is something simple. The Savage 12 low profile is a nice rifle, enjoy it Be safe Chris. Let us know what the problem is,!0 to 1 it's when you installed the scope mount.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Wildthang

Okay, you guys were right, took the scope off, and backed out the rear screw on the front sight and the bolt works smooth as butter. I filed about an 1/8" off of the screw, chamfered the bottom edge so the threads would start and she is ready to shoot!
Thanks for the help my friends. I would think they would not tap through into the bolt bore for the scope mounting screws to keep this from happening but what do I know???
Old December 7, 2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Que

It happens a lot more than you might expect. It has happened to me more than a few times and just happened to a shooting buddy with his 1981 BAR and a DNZ mount/rings.

Glad it was a simple fix. A-Plan!