The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

what was your biggest rookie mistake when target shooting?

Only in the last 2-3 years thanks to YouTube videos and online research....I found out why ALL of my groups no matter what caliber or distance was low and left. I almost cried with joy the day I learned what I was doing wrong!

Grip control:
I used to use the infamous rookie grip on my semi auto pistols.....full grip strength in my primary (right) hand including the pinky....support hand was basically just cupping my other hand instead of wrapping it properly. Now, I use a high choke grip as close to the slide as possible.....thumbs facing forward....covering all 4 corners of the grip. No pressure/control on the pinky.

Trigger coverage:
I used to slip my entire index finger up to the 2nd joint inside the trigger guard....and squeeze hard and fast. Now, I keep barely the tip of my index finger on the trigger and squeeze slower and more controlled....the finger joint now work independently of the knuckle which helps maintain stable front sight picture.

My biggest problem: recoil anticipation
I think everyone experiences this one. You are basically waiting for a mini explosion to happen and you know its coming.....so you prepare for it which throws off your entire grip and mental focus. I used to squeeze hard and fast and jerk the gun right before discharge. Now....with a proper stance, grip control, trigger finger placement and proper focus....I am able to acquire my target fast....keep a steady sight picture and keep the front sight locked on the target. Now I Slowly exhale and let the gun surprise me with each round.

Took me about 2 years to perfect these techniques but it absolutely works once you recalibrate your shooting techniques! Hopefully others with the similar issue I had can benefit as well
Old September 27, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215

Failure to watch (really watch) the front sight - throughout the shot

Trying to time the shot

Peeking at the target between shots
Old September 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3
chadio

I do ok with the grip, with the trigger coverage, etc.

But - I KNOW that the recoil anticipation thing is giving me screwy groups. Frustrating, because I know I can do better. I didn't get my Pistol Sharpshooter medal by accident.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
mete

When I went from 22 to 45 I had to learn to give a firm consistant grip. When I learned that I found my 22 scores increased ! So a firm consistant grip is always important , 22 or 45 !
Old September 27, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Revoliver

Quote:
Failure to watch (really*watch) the front sight -*throughout*the shot

Peeking at the target between shots
I'm still guilty of these from time to time... :-(
Old September 27, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

Still trying to figure that out. This will be the first time admitting this openly.

I am kinda a bad shot with a pistol.

I have correct form based on everything I have read and seen. For some reason just can't put it all together in one cohesive package.

Much better with a rifle...

That's pretty much why you won't catch me offering opinions on others technique questions..
Old September 27, 2012, 03:24 PM   #7
StainlessSteel215

Great feedback...I am also still guilty of peeking at targets in between shots and not following through the whole golf swing, so to speak.

Yung, why dont you practice each one of the things I mentioned above....really drill it into your head so it becomes muscle memory? It really has changed my accuracy
Old September 27, 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
SouthernMarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
Still trying to figure that out. This will be the first time admitting this openly.

I am kinda a bad shot with a pistol.

I have correct form based on everything I have read and seen. For some reason just can't put it all together in one cohesive package.

Much better with a rifle...

That's pretty much why you won't catch me offering opinions on others technique questions..
I am in the same boat as you, I'm good with a pistol at about 5-8 meters but after that forget about any kind of groups.

I'm great with a rifle though and can shoot a decent size group at 500m with iron sights but I usually train at 300m for a rifle.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Old September 27, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Archie

Biggest Rookie Mistake and Biggest Long Term Mistake

My biggest Rookie mistake was recoil anticipation. For YEARS all my handguns fired low and left (I'm right handed.) Finally a good coach had me work on Timed and Rapid Fire with the goal of keeping my eyes open when I fired. It worked, finally. When I could see the outline of the bullets going downrange - in good light - I knew I had that one licked.

Biggest Long Term Mistake was trying to 'squeeze' the shot too slowly. Another good coach told me to basically just keep 'mashing' on the trigger no matter what in Timed and Rapid Fire. I didn't believe it at first, but trusted the coach and sure enough, my Timed and Rapid Fire scores went up. Then I had to learn to apply the same technique in Slow Fire. My Slow Fire scores went up as well. A proper trigger pull is much like ringing a door bell; not a wild slam, but a deliberate and steady pull (squeeze, mash, press) on the trigger.

Of note, learning to fire a double action revolver in double action by a steady long pull aided in learning the technique for single action with either revolver or pistol.

As with all skills, they require practice to learn and practice to keep them up.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 27, 2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Bull gazing, jerking the trigger and squeezing the grip so hard it squealed in agony. Took me a year to get over the first two and another 2 years after that to stop doing the third one.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 27, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
sigcurious

I signed up for this forum...huge mistake!
Old September 27, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Don P

Not hittin what me was aimin at. Waste of bullets
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Smit

When I get a malfunction at the range, I stop to look at the type of failure it was. I also end up taking a loooong time before another is cycled and the shots continue. Something I need to work on.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:40 PM   #14
youngunz4life

thinking I should 'take my time' between each shot or even when not doing that, thinking i should readjust or move between shots(I am talking about rifles). Once you are set, you don't need to move or change anything.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mastering the DA trigger on a revolver.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Not listening.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:06 PM   #17
TXAZ

Maybe Taking advice off the Internet ?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 27, 2012, 10:12 PM   #18
CCCLVII

The problem I had for many years was recoil anticipation. The best thing I ever did was buy an old Ruger MK I and have it suppressed. I got lots of cheep trigger time and learned to shoot much better. Im not saying that the suppressor was unnecessary but it certinally helped. I found that I was forcing the muzzle down before the shot in anticipation of the recoil.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:57 PM   #19
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
When I went from 22 to 45 I had to learn to give a firm consistant grip. When I learned that I found my 22 scores increased ! So a firm consistant grip is always important , 22 or 45 !
Same here.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old September 28, 2012, 12:02 AM   #20
nazshooter

I still have trouble with anticipation when shooting DA on my DA/SA pistol. I get half way through thal long DA pull and flinch. Dry firing seems to help.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old September 28, 2012, 05:29 AM   #21
darkgael

Rookie

Quote:
Failure to watch (really watch) the front sight - throughout
Yeah. That one. Still working on that one.
Pete
Old September 28, 2012, 05:58 AM   #22
thedudeabides

Everything is practice.

1. Download a chart to help you diagnose as to why you're drifting off target.
2. Learn how to properly grip the gun in a way that maximizes accuracy and feels natural to you (there are several good accepted grips).
3. Relax.
4. Make it second nature to look down the sights, before, during, and after the trigger pull.
5. Did I mention practice? Few people are naturals, most good shots have a lifetime membership at the range and operate from muscle memory.
6. Stay safe.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:50 AM   #23
Tinner666

I've made all of those and still make soem of them again and again until I stop and think. I need to shoot every other day and get more proficient again.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:36 AM   #24
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
Mastering the DA trigger on a revolver.
Your biggest mistake? Say it ain't so...
Old September 28, 2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Bob Wright

Quote:

When I was a kid I used black pasters on the white, and white on the black. I thought they wanted to spot their shots!

Bob Wright