The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2011, 09:11 AM   #1
bobn

sx 1 wnchester

lol, my life is complete. i just picked up the shotgun i should have bought in 1974. a super x 1 winchester trap. genuine winchester made in new haven. first table at the pine city gun show. 550 out the door. of course when i was home on leave from electricians mate school back when i could have got one from the green door gun shop in west haven, ct for 189. what a moroon to quote bugs bunny. bobn

Last edited by bobn; February 27, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good score. A friend got one recently after a lifetime of Model 12s. He called the X1 a "Model 12 that pumps itself". High praise indeed from him.

Enjoy yours....
Old February 27, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3
zippy13

Congratulations!
Back in the day, many consider the Winchester superior overall to the R-1100; but, the Remington won the market battle because it's less costly manufacturing allowed a lower street price.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:17 PM   #4
sweetshot

Some positive reinforcement for your purchase! I bought the field model Super X-1, 2-3/4" with 30" full choke vent rib, back in 1972 or 73. Don't remember how much I paid for it, but it was the best investment I ever made. It became my primary gun for everything......duck/goose, pheasant, grouse, deer, (slugs), and trap league, (until I bought an 11-87 in the early 90's. I still shoot the SX-1 for trap league. I am guessing that it has close to 20,000 rounds through it, (even one 3" shell by mistake.....). Only three issues I ever had with it just for your info: In later years, 1. The stock would loosen after a number of rounds until I put some loctite on it. 2. The bolt handle will fall out occasionally and now I just pull it out and put it in my pocket before firing. 3. The recoil spring follower wore out at the bottom of the socket so the bolt arm would fall down and not throw the bolt back and eject the shell. I cured this for a short time by turning the recoil spring follower 180 degrees so the worn part was pointing up, but eventually the other side wore out too, so I bought two new replacement pieces, installed one and kept one for insurance. Good luck and thanks for bringing back memories of my youth!
Old February 28, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
bobn

thanks for the vote of confidence guys! bobn