The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 27, 2000, 03:42 PM   #1
BadMedicine

I was standing out in the driveway this week breathing in the crisp air. We had frost on our grass and I kept getting a faint whiff of my car exhaust as it warmed up. I couldn't help thinking about cold mornings, getting ready to head out to some desolate spot on our ATV's and hunt for moose.
We went out this weekend on a day trip, didn't take our ATV's the damned brake on one is froze. If it just wasn't engaging we could rough-it, but it won't roll at all, so scratch that idea We went up and hunted ****** pass. Saw one black bear at abut 7 in the morning, but that unit don't open till friday. I wish we could have went after that bear though. He was a big one, about a 7 footer, waddling around a clearing eating beries. Then about a half hour later we saw another, smaller bear, probably about a 5 footer dash across a clearing. Well, we hunted up the mountain through really good looking mossey stuff all day, walked up, down, zig-zagged, through thickers, and marshes, and then sat most the day up ontop the hill watching clearings below, and eting the frost-sweetend blue berries. At 5 we started back down covering the area as thouroughly as possible. Saw so much sign and trails, we know it is a good area. When we finally got back to the truck we saw a cow moose about halfway up the mountain on the other side of the road. We watched her eat for about half an hour, and then started home. Right before dark we saw a spike out about a mile off the road. we decided not to go after it. It was almost dark, and probably couldn't have got within shooting range in time. I think I should've tried anyway, that'd be alot of meat in the freezer. Bear seaon opens on friday, and we're going to be back at that same area on staurday. We decided to only hunt the lower, marshier, denser areas next week, and only go climbing if we see one up there to go after. Hopefully we'll get that big bear. But we have the whole season ahead of us, including our ten day long hunt during the rut at the end of season. I love this time of year
Old August 28, 2000, 09:50 AM   #2
KilgorII

Geez, it's 104 degrees outside right now here.

Old August 28, 2000, 01:47 PM   #3
BadMedicine

I think our hottest day this summer was like 75 degrees
Old August 28, 2000, 05:16 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Hush with the tempature BadMedicine. You're making me very jealous