The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
CarbineKid

RI AWB coming, please help!

This Tuesday our esteemed Governor Lincoln Chafee along with the RI State Police Hose and Senate president and AG Peter Kilmartin will be proposing several anti gun pieces of legislation. In it will be some form of AWB, and mag limit which is going to rival CT and NY. We desperately need help to defeat this. I have been talking to some people that will be leading the fight. We need to defeat this in the Judiciary committees, if it hits the floor for a vote it will pass.
I'm sure Washington will be calling these reps to push their anti gun agenda. Could you please e-mail the reps here and let them know how you feel. Please let them know RI already has some of the "strongest" gun laws in the country, and if this passes you will do whatever possible to help unseat them(send money to opponents etc).
Thank You!!!

The list can be found here RI State website

House Judiciary

Representative Edith H. Ajello Chairperson [email protected]

Representative Joseph S. Almeida [email protected]

Representative Christopher R. Blazejewski [email protected]

Representative Dennis M. Canario [email protected]

Representative Doreen Marie Costa [email protected]

Representative Robert E. Craven, Sr. Member [email protected]

Representative John J. DeSimone Vice Chairperson [email protected]

Representative Donald J. Lally Jr. [email protected]

Representative Charlene Lima [email protected]

Representative Michael J. Marcello [email protected]

Representative Peter F. Martin Secretary [email protected]

Representative K. Joseph Shekarchi [email protected]

Representative Donna M. Walsh [email protected]

Senate Judiciary

Senator Stephen R. Archambault [email protected]

Senator William J. Conley, Jr. [email protected]

Senator Dawson Tucker Hodgson [email protected]

Senator Paul V. Jabour Vice Chairperson [email protected]

Senator Frank S. Lombardi [email protected]

Senator Erin P. Lynch Secretary [email protected]

Senator Michael J. McCaffrey Chairperson [email protected]

Senator Harold M. Metts [email protected]

Senator Donna M. Nesselbush [email protected]

Senator Leonidas P. Raptakis [email protected]

Last edited by Spats McGee; April 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Fixing link
Old April 7, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

First of all, good luck to RI. I'm sorry to see that it's joining the Great Race to the Bottom of 2013.

Second, can you point give us a link or two to the various bill(s) at issue? That would help us know exactly what's going on.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Dan F

Kid,

Let me second Spats' wish - good luck to you, and all residents of RI. As one of the most recent victims of the delusional Blue-State hysteria, I can tell you the politics is nasty (see my post on an example from MD here ).

Even if the worst happens and the bill passes and gets signed, there are still options, though. The courts are one, of course, but they take so long and the outcome is so fraught with uncertainty I wouldn't expect anyone to pick that as the preferred method. But if I'm not mistaken, you should be able to petition a referendum for a statewide vote.

I'm not sure about RI, but currently in MD all that is required is 31,349 signatures (out of a population in excess of 5.8 million). We're organized enough here to make that pretty easily, I believe... and then it would get on the 2014 ballot, and the implementation of the law would be postponed until then at the least. Getting that extra year alone will be worth it, and we might be able to do well enough with the voter turnout (w/ the delay to let the furor diminish still more, and apathy on the anti's side, and a much more active turnout for us) to actually win.

Of course, a legislative victory IS preferable. But however it goes, never give up the fight.