The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 21, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

Ever bought a gun because of the weather?

There I was at Sportmen's, and it's pouring outside. And somehow my thoughts wander to the fact that in weather like that I wouldn't want to drag out any of my elk guns. And I have a "once in a lifetime" trophy tag for this year, so no "I wait till the weather gets better".
And there was a pretty little Tikka T3 stainless w/ plastic stock on sale, perfect for mudbogging or sleet. I went with the 308 since I didn't have one in that caliber, and I figured if the weather is so bad that I carry this I probably won't be doing any 300 yard + shots.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Daryl

Can't say that I've every worried too much about a blued rifle in wet weather.

Over the years, my primary big game rifle (Browning A-bolt) has been soaked a number of times. Once, my horse even laid down in a stock tank with my rifle getting fully submerged in the scabbard. Another time I spent two weeks in Alaska with a lot of sleet, snow, rain, and hail. The only rust I found was after I returned, and was the result of a few drops of salt rain in Anchorage at the airport on the way home. It wiped clean with a bit of oil on a rag, and it's never returned.

I've been hunting with this rifle for some ~20 years, and although it shows a little bluing wear here and there, it still puts them into a nice little cluster at long ranges. It's been tried and tested, so I'm not sure I'd feel quite as comfortable with a new gun.

Now, my handguns? Well, I own both blued and stainless, but stainless has an advantage in a leather holster when the going gets soggy.

Daryl
Old August 21, 2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Doyle

Yep, I just did. Hunting season in Fl is also hurricane season. I wanted something that would be weatherproof plus be easy to to totally dry out. I also wanted iron sights so that I would have a backup if the scope crapped out during a hunt.

I chose a T/C encore stainless with a stainless 30-06 barrel. For a scope, I chose a Bushnell 4200 with the rainguard finish on the glass. Even if it gets totally soaked, I can take the whole thing apart in seconds to dry it out.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Nope. A little weather isn't going to hurt a blued rifle. I've had a couple that have been soaked a few times and a quick wipe down with an oil rag will take care of any possible problems.

It's okay to buy a new gun, just don't blame it on the weather...
Old August 21, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Weather is the main reason my hunting black powder gun is an inline and my centerfire is a single shot. Easy to maintain and little to go wrong.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 21, 2011, 03:59 PM   #6
ausher

I've bought a gun weather or not i needed it
Old August 21, 2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Weather is the main reason my hunting black powder gun is an inline and my centerfire is a single shot. Easy to maintain and little to go wrong.
My Hawken works whether it's raining or not. Blued guns don't need to fear getting wet. It's the staying wet after the rain is gone you have to worry about.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:58 PM   #8
GeauxTide

Same reason I got a Hawkeye in 280 and a Weather Warrior in 260 used for deer / hogs.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Any .45

I never purchased a hunting rifle do to weather, do to the fact that most of my hunting rifles were already synthetic stocked and either SS or blued, I did however make a move to Wyoming from South Florida back 2004-2005 and I noticed my 1911's getting a bit rusty in the winters from the in hot and out to cold all day so I went and bought me a glock due to that issue.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old August 21, 2011, 09:26 PM   #10
BIG P

NO not a issue here,maybe a oil rag a time or two.No snow,no real cold weather,heck not alot of rain either.
Old August 22, 2011, 06:19 AM   #11
MJN77

I think every one of my guns have been soaked more than a few times, and I havn't had any problems yet. But any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:20 AM   #12
mapsjanhere

Just to add, in my case it wasn't the worry for the blued barrels but the wooden stocks that made me look for something less susceptible.
Old August 22, 2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Hawg

I had one of mine dunked in a river before. No damage. Don't ask.
Old August 22, 2011, 12:44 PM   #14
FrontSight

I love Savages, but the blued ones seem to rust at just the thought of moisture

So, yes, have thought about it
Old August 22, 2011, 12:57 PM   #15
Saltydog235

As far as my wife is concerned, I've bought quite a few for those reasons. Though, I'm beginning to think that she's on to me, the desert digital camo stock with no deserts raised a flag or two.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:28 PM   #16
highvel

Nope, the only weather I have to worry about is the storm after I get home with a new gun!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old August 22, 2011, 09:30 PM   #17
chewie146

Nope, but I understand your thinking!
Old August 23, 2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Gunplummer

If I think the weather will really be bad I have a couple really ugly yard sale guns I can use that I keep sighted in.
Old August 23, 2011, 03:47 PM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
My Hawken works whether it's raining or not. Blued guns don't need to fear getting wet. It's the staying wet after the rain is gone you have to worry about.
Mine are blued too and when I was going to hunting camp I carried my cleaning kit in a large tackle box. They laughed when I unpacked than after a sloppy day I was really popular around the stove. Now I have 25000 acres of public woods for a back yard to hunt in and I have to go by my shop and cleaning bench to get to the house. Cleaning is not a problem.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--