The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 9, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Skans

Alternative to SBR Registration for AR pistols??

Here's an idea. What if someone invented a buttstock that didn't attach to the an AR pistol, but instead, strapped on or attached to your shoulder like clothing, permitting you to "rest" the buffer tube on the dohickamajiggie attached to your shoulder.

Since it's just a piece of clothing and not a part of the gun itself, could this be a solution to not having to SBR an AR pistol, yet get similar functionality?
Old December 9, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I think that would work as ATF has ruled that if it doesn't attach to the gun in any way it is a rest, not a stock.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
David Hineline

Mark White manuf. a stock that was held to the back of a Ruger MKII pistol by your gripping action only not attatched, if flew for a while then ATF Nixed it.

I think they would just consider it a detaching stock and nix it.
Old December 9, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

ATF will say its okay, then change their mind, declare it illegal, and arrest everyone who owns one.

They've done this before.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
TheManHimself

It would probably cost close to or more than a tax stamp anyway.
Old December 12, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
jestertoo

Nothing says you can't buy one of those really thick limbsaver pads that straps onto your shoulder. That and a tennis ball on the back of your carbine length pistol buffer should put the spacing about correct.
Old December 12, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
jestertoo Nothing says you can't buy one of those really thick limbsaver pads that straps onto your shoulder. That and a tennis ball on the back of your carbine length pistol buffer should put the spacing about correct.
Whether its a tennis ball or a nerf football, adding ANYTHING to the back of that buffer tube puts you on thin ice. If it makes it possible to shoulder the firearm I'm sure the ATF would get pretty excited.

Don't attach anything to that buffertube.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 13, 2009, 04:15 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Having fired a fair number of shoulder stocked pistols, I don't think much of the idea. The reason is that while a pistol can be held at arms length, a shoulder stock of normal length brings the muzzle in close to the face, and the muzzle blast and noise are very bad, and possibly dangerous. On a range, of course, you would be wearing muffs and glasses, but using the gun anywhere else would not be practical. The better alternative is to simply use a pistol and learn to shoot it.

(Of course if your purpose is just to tweak the ATF and try to get around the law, that is another story. Lotsa luck, and stay out of jail!)

Jim
Old December 14, 2009, 03:53 AM   #9
gyvel

Personally (and I've said this before), I still think it's only a matter of time before ATF decides that, since you can rest the buffer tube against your shoulder, that all the AR pistols will become SBRs.

Remember: These are people who don't exactly see things the same way we do.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Skans

Quote:
Whether its a tennis ball or a nerf football, adding ANYTHING to the back of that buffer tube puts you on thin ice. If it makes it possible to shoulder the firearm I'm sure the ATF would get pretty excited.

Don't attach anything to that buffertube.
My thought was something more along the line of a concave cup that the buffer tube could rest against. The "cup" would be attached to a strap or piece of clothing that you would wear. It would protrude (like a thick shoulder pad) so that when you raise the pistol to shoot, you can simply brace the buffer tube on the cup. Nothing attaches to the buffer tube. Maybe you don't even have a cup - maybe the end of the shoulder pad is made of gel and some kind of anti-slip rubber.
Old December 14, 2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Skans

Quote:
Personally (and I've said this before), I still think it's only a matter of time before ATF decides that, since you can rest the buffer tube against your shoulder, that all the AR pistols will become SBRs.
Is there even any regulation on how long the buffer tube can be? What if you just make a slightly longer buffer tube for extra shock absorbance?

Hey, it's a dumb law. I hope y'all don't mind me trying to think of legal ways to get around a dumb law. What got me thinking about this is that thingamabob some guy made for California AR's that's a pistol grip that's not a pistol grip. I thought that was an excelent idea - now I'm just trying to apply something similar to permit more controlled firing of AR pistols.