The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

INSANE Bullet Co.

First, let me say that I am in no way affiliated with this company, I'm just wanting to see if anyone has purchased these bullets and used them.

Last month I bought 500 40 S&W 175 gr. SWC's off of a very popular auction site, the bullets came marked INSANE Bullet Co. I let these things sit for a while and started reloading them once my finished ammo supply got under 200.

I weighed/measured these things (50 of them or so) and they were all accurately sized/cast. My only problem with them is that they were DIRTY and STICKY. And there were also a few of them that had more lube on the point than in the ring where it should be...

Other than that I can't complain, I'm thinking about putting in a bulk order as my local supply has dried up and before I do so would like any feedback or experiences about using this company's product.
Old July 6, 2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Scorch

Haven't used their product, but I like their name. And the dirty/sticky issue is likely related to using an older cold grease-based lube for the bullets instead of the nowadays more common heated wax-based lube.
Old July 7, 2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Thirties

If Steve Jobs of Apple computer were to start a bullet company, he'd probably name it Insane Bullet, or Insanely Great Bullet . . . (obviously joking)
Old July 7, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Phelptwan

More likely iBullet.
Old July 7, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
gandog56

I don't know about the guy selling this stuff. I looked at his ebay store and he can't spell to save his life. Would I want to buy bullets from somebody that looks to be half illiterate?
Old July 7, 2007, 12:09 PM   #6
VaFisher

He may make a few dollars to get his GED if we all purchase from him. Besides who cares if he is literate or not as long as he is honest and sells at a decent price.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:25 PM   #7
BAGTIC

"don't know about the guy selling this stuff. I looked at his ebay store and he can't spell to save his life. Would I want to buy bullets from somebody that looks to be half illiterate?"

I thought we had already elected him President.
Old July 7, 2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

The sticky lube is likely to be either the old NRA 50:50 Alox:Beeswax lube or else Tamarak. both amber color, like a beer bottle. If you absolutely hate it, soak most of it off in just enough paint thinner to cover the bullets. That will make an amber soup that dries to leave a thinner coating, more like the Lee Liquid Alox. Let them dry just until they are tacky, then dust them with motor mica. Midway sells the mica dust in quantity. It sticks to the lube and makes everything easier to handle. It's the same white powder Hornady uses on their swaged bullets. Roll the bullets around in a plastic tub until the excess is gone.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 8, 2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Sigma 40 Blaster

I also had some second thoughts about the spelling...it took me about two weeks (until my local cast bullet supply went dry) before I took a chance and ordered a 500 rd. box.

Maybe someone else could share a supply of cast bullets comparable in price?

The local gunshops have basically just PO'd me to the point where I am no longer willing to spend my money with them. Luckily I am starting a new job in Tyler, TX and hope that their reloading shops are a little more consumer friendly than the guys in my town.

Any dangers/cautions on using these bullets with this older lube? They stopped using it just because they found something better or there was a real reason?
Old July 8, 2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Scorch

The only issue with the older lube is exactly what you have seen. It's sticky and attracts dust and grit. The bullets will work fine. Older sizer/lubers used cold lubes that had to be soft enough to flow into the grooves on the bullet when you sized the bullet. Newer sizer/lubers have a heating element that melts the lube to make it softer, and it is not as sticky when it cools.
Old July 8, 2007, 07:55 PM   #11
layusn1

Hmmm, from what I have been told, if you make and sell bullets you are required to have a type 06 FFL so he would have to be literate enough to read the ATF forms. In order to get the Type 06 FFL you need to have a business license so he would have to have applied for all of that as well so either he is literate and just wants to sound like a fool or he is a fool and is risking getting himself in some serious $%*&.
Old July 8, 2007, 10:47 PM   #12
layusn1

Well, here is the apparent answer as to whether or not you need a type 06 FFL to sell bullets that you manufacture. I got this from:

http://www.corbins.com/business.htm

We all know this guy is a well known name and respected in the bullet swaging and manufacturing community so I am fairly sure he has done his research. Here is what he has posted on his website:

You need to obtain a Federal Firearms License, Class 6, "Manufacturer of Ammunition or Components of Ammunition". This is the same form as a regular gun dealer license, except that you check off the Class 6 box. The cost at this writing is still only $10 per year, with a 3 year term (so it costs you $30 for 3 years). To get the FFL, log onto the BAFT website and find out where to send for the form at the field office nearest to you or from headquarters. The BATF website is listed in website links.
Old July 11, 2007, 01:06 AM   #13
Sigma 40 Blaster

Thanks for the feedback, I really didn't intend to start a post making fun of the guy's spelling, it is a valid consideration but implying he's illiterate or anything else was definitely not my objective.

I got to run a few hundred more of these suckers downrange and other than being really nasty (I clean every 250 - 500 rounds anyways) I didn't have a bit of trouble. Placed an order for 1,000, if any issues come up I'll definitely post about it.