The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Lsc8

para ordnance p14-45 limited price check

Found a para p14-45 limited at the LGs That I like. my gun blue book doesn't have a listing(only shows basic p series) and it's probably as much custom as para so wanted to see what you think is a fair price.

Owner is a 3 gun nation comp shooter and has worked the gun over.

Details

Limited model
tool steel internals, hammer, mag release , and dlask trigger
S&a mag guide/mainspring
fiber optic front sight
Heavy front guide rod.

Tuned and ready to run. I had the pleasure of running a few mags through and it looks/feels/and shoot amazing.

This also a Canadian gun.

I thought the price was high but not having a comparison I wanted to check. I don't want to insult him either.
Old March 5, 2015, 01:10 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Several years ago I paid $600 for a used, Canadian-built P13.45 that had NOT been tuned, and was not a Limited. I thought I got a good deal. As a wild guess, I'd say you are looking at $800 to $900. Maybe $1,000.

I should add that I don't like to buy guns (or Jeeps) that someone else has "worked over." What someone else has done is rarely what I would choose to do, and the workmanship is never up to my standards.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:16 AM   #3
1stmar

Really depends on the work and who did it. Keep in mind a p14 pro custom new can be had for $900 or so. I wouldn't more than $600 for it but it really depends on what tuned means and who tuned it.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Lsc8

The reliability/tune up is just a tear down and inspection of tolerances with replacement of any worn or out of spec part. And new springs.

Work was done by a 1911 smith. They build a lot of the competition guns around here. It's kind of what they are known for.

My gun book shows 550 for a p series non limited but it also shows a 225 increase from base pxt to limited.

Shows a pxt limited at $800.

I would upgrade the trigger and internals ($200)

I also normally add the fo sight. ($40)

I wouldn't have added the magwell but would have replaced the plastic mainspring housing so it's a bit of a wash. ($75 )

All in all most things I would do are finished. Except a barrel bushing. The mods I wouldn't have done I didn't list.

By my reasoning IF the p14-45 is worth the same as a pxt by blue book then this should ballpark around 900-1100 including the mods.

I know a lot of times the blue book isn't a good indication of real world prices.

Final thought is I really like the gun, mods are all something I would do anyway, and I trust the work That was done. Gun is very nice.

Let me know if I'm thinking rationally or just trying to justify an overpriced gun!!
Old March 5, 2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Metalboy

I'm not a gunsmith, just a precision machinist/gagemaker....
But...
I just bought a very basic Para 1911 .45, was tuning it Yesterday. Mine was made in '04, in the good ol' USA.
I had Colts, Gold Cup too, so I know what I'm comparing it to.
Anyhow, I'm surprised how well it's made. Like how nicely the sear, and hammer notches are ground. I just replaced the grip, adding arched mainspring housing, and new rear sight. Just made this picture.
Than yours is the older '70's model, mine is '80's. As far as I can tell, this is new, or very little used.

Old March 5, 2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Lsc8

I think the limited gets you front cocking serations, flgr, target sights, and an ambi safety.
Old March 5, 2015, 07:51 AM   #7
Metalboy

Quote:
I think the limited gets you front cocking serations, flgr, target sights, and an ambi safety.
Yes. And most likely better/smoother fitting trigger too, plus tuned flat spring.
Maybe the barrel bushing is different too.

Editing......The Gold Cup used to have collet bushing.

Last edited by Metalboy; March 5, 2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old March 5, 2015, 08:14 AM   #8
Metalboy

My old Gold Cup feed ramp wasn't as nicely polished as this Para, and didn't feed hollow point neather. I used a Moore jig grinder to fix it, and widen feed ramp. But than stupid me I sold it to one of my begging friend, who's wife was shooting competition......
Old March 5, 2015, 08:43 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsc8
Let me know if I'm thinking rationally or just trying to justify an overpriced gun!!
How can we advise you if you keep the asking price a secret?

IMHO, the Limited doesn't get you much over the standard series, with the exception of front cocking serrations. They don't shoot any better. Is this pistol a PXT (Power eXTractor) or does it use a conventional 1911 extractor? Para touted the Power Extractor as the greatest thing since sliced bread when they introduced it around 2003 or 2004, but it was gone within ten years. They now use a special, heavy-duty extractor made for them by EGW in Pennsylvania. They had a LOT of problems with the PXT. I only own one Para that has it, and I wish it didn't. I haven't had any problems with it, but it's a pistol I don't shoot a lot.

Quote:
By my reasoning IF the p14-45 is worth the same as a pxt by blue book then this should ballpark around 900-1100 including the mods.
But you just wrote that blue book for a Limited is $225 higher than a base model. Which is it?

And you can't not list the mods that you wouldn't have done. You're asking what the pistol is worth -- that's as it stands, not as you might have done it. The mods are there, and they (theoretically) have value. That's what determines the market price of the gun. THEN you look at whether or not you like the mods, and decide if you want to pay the market price.

Blued (painted) or stainless? If it's a Limited, I assume it's stainless.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; March 5, 2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old March 5, 2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Indi

I sold a p12 45 limited several years ago for $700.00 if it helps.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Lsc8

Sorry thought price was listed above. $1200

Limited version in blued finish With 4 mags

It is not a pxt extractor. I mentioned the base model and pxt as a blue book reference only.

Dlask trigger
Tool steel internals
ed brown hammer
s&a magwell
tuned spare extractor
steel mag release
Old March 5, 2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
IMHO it's not worth a penny more than $1,000 -- and I wouldn't pay that much for it.

It all depends on how badly you want the gun.
Old March 5, 2015, 04:32 PM   #13
Metalboy

Quote:
I paid $ 500.00 for mine, including everything, even the background check.
Old March 5, 2015, 05:41 PM   #14
Lsc8

If the limited is worth $200 more than a base model I'd feel ok with $1000, considering similar mods to my Kimber were a bit over $500. I doubt he'd go 900 but we shall see. It's a very nice gun and the mods were something I'd do anyway most likely by the same shop...... but those sti edges look really nice as well.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Metalboy

Quote:
It's a very nice gun and the mods were something I'd do anyway most likely by the same shop
Our brain makes mistakes, our heart does NOT, so listen to your heart, and the hell with money. Buy it.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Doc Intrepid

I'll just offer this:

Over the past 30 years I have often regretted NOT buying a specific (used) gun when it suddenly became available.

I have only once regretted buying one, and that one was a new gun that simply failed to run for me no matter what I did to it.

That said, I like Paras and have owned three of them. So I'm biased. If another Para comes my way, and I like it - i.e. it runs the way you say this one runs, I would not hesitate to pick it up also.

Just sayin'
Old March 5, 2015, 08:15 PM   #17
1stmar

Why would you pay equal to or more than what you can get a new para for?