The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 30, 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

FYI

Cabela's still have 1858 Remingtons and 1860 Colts on sale for 199.99 but now they are throwing in free shipping.

Midway just put the Uberti 1st Dragoon on sale for $307 and change.

I still have only two 1858s and I don't have any Dragoons.

Blast!
Old August 30, 2010, 08:22 PM   #2
ClemBert

Daggumit! Those evil wallet pickers also sent me a $30 off coupon. Free shipping plus $30 off an item that is already on sale. Tarnation...what's a fella to do?
Old August 30, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
denster

ClemBert. You do what any reasonable, sensible, prudent, thrifty man would do. Give in to temptation darn it!
Old August 30, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
ClemBert

These pesky varmits around the house (rats with big fluffy tails) are startin' to annoy me. They've been spotted on the roof and running on the screen of my porch. They are getting cocky for some reason. I guess the owls and the hawks have been busy elsewhere. The local yokels in this neighborhood would probably have a fit if I blasted them with a BP revolver. I'm tempted to buy my very first air pellet gun (yes, I was deprived as a child and never had a Red Rider). Anyone here ever own a Ruger Air Hawk Elite air rifle?
Old August 31, 2010, 02:08 AM   #5
arcticap

I don't own one but the Ruger air guns are reported to be accurate.
About 2 weeks ago I killed a couple of skunks and wounded another with a $100 Crosman .177 springer and pointed pellets. Air guns are nice & quiet enough to use for urban night hunting.

Bloody skunk photos:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3307/p1120453a36.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9193/p1120284a50.jpg

Blood from the wound:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1938/p1120372a35.jpg

Last edited by arcticap; August 31, 2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:31 AM   #6
noelf2

I have a 30 off coupon also, but they'll only let you use one promotion at a time.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Slowhand

Just a Whisper

I had a small problem a few years back the wife put up a couple of bird feeders in the back yard. The birds were great but then the Tree Rats started coming in. I tried some Rat Proof feeders, but they still came. I tried some chemical stuff, spray and bottle type. No good. Then they started eating off the post caps on the privacy fence and chewing holes in the screened in back porch.

So I found this little critter at Dicks Sporting Goods. It has a sound "dampner" on the barrel. It's a single shot, break barrel, spring piston loaded, that will put a .177 pellet out at a nifty 1,000 f.p.s. It's supposed to be 52% quieter than a regular pellet rifle. I dropped a few with it and it was real quiet like. The only sound of course is the spring action. I took her out in the country and sighted her in. Getting the scope on and lined up takes some work, but it does the job. A couple of screws worked loose but some Red Loctite (Low Strength) took care of that. With the scope I was dropping them out of 30-60 ft Pine Trees.

I live in the city and I didn't need the neighbors getting bent out of shape or the local SWAT coming in to save the day. When the wife and I parted company in June, the feeders went. I do miss the bird watching though

She's a Gamo Whisper. Shop around they run from $200. to $350.00.

Last edited by Slowhand; September 1, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling... again...
Old August 31, 2010, 04:51 PM   #8
ClemBert

noelf is right...could NOT use both the $30 off coupon and get the free shipping. Bummer! Oh well, there isn't any compelling reason to order by tonight's free shipping deadline. The $30 off coupon is good for another three weeks. Maybe the air rifle will go on sale within that period.

Nice picks arcticap. I hate skunks. They tormented me nightly one summer that I spent in NY with the windows open at night. Slowhand, who makes that air rifle of your's?
Old August 31, 2010, 07:57 PM   #9
CajunPowder

I've recently done a lot of research on air rifles and air pistols. I got a crosman custom shop 2300KT, (2240):

http://crosman.com/custom_store/1/step1

It is spooky accurate with a little red dot on it, (for a pistol at 40-75 feet), with Jumbo .22 pellets. It is very loud, (even with a 10" barrel). It shoots at about 580 FPS after I made some modifications to it, (custom valve). It's CO2 and I get about 20 shots per CO2. I've got about $200 in the pistol. It will take a tree rat down with a decent body shot although I always go for the head. It's got the 10" barrel, cheap target grips, a long-steel breach with a very long run of groove on the breech to mount lots of different optics.

I have 3 prime producing pecan trees in our yard. The city I live in was literally built on one of the largest Pecan Plantations in the United States during the late 1800's. We got lots of tree critters and they are fat and juicy.

About 12 years ago I took over 40 out of our yard alone in about 2 weeks after a population explosion caused by one of the best Pecan harvests in 35 years of record keeping 3 years prior to that. I BBQ'd them, smoked some, fried some, and made Gumbo with some as well. I was using an ancient, rebuilt Benjamin Pump 22 ... with an ... uhhhh ... adapter.

For a QUIET, POWERFUL air rifle that will shoot a 22 pellet fast and hard, a new type of springer air rifle, (nitro piston), is being produced and sold by crosman at a very good price.

It's an "air piston" springer, not a physical metal spring. And the air piston is filled with NITROGEN which is unaffected by cold or heat to a great degree. The air piston inside is very much like the air pistons used as shock absorbers on car trunk lids, (hatchbacks). You can leave these things cocked and loaded for as much as a week and only loose a few percent of the pressure, (you can't do this with springers as it will ruin the spring and stress the seals, etc.. ). They really are an interesting air rifle.

It's here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_XL/2052

It's a bit pricey at $299, and it will shoot about 900FPS, (realistically), with heavy, Jumbo, 22 pellets. It's been reviewed in depth by "B.B. Peltier", and the bugs have been worked out in production. It's an awesome air rifle. It was introduced at the Shot Show early this year.

It's got a little cousin at $229.00 :

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam...air_rifle/2050

It will only shoot about 750 to 850 feet per second depending on the weight of the pellet you are using. It's a bit smaller as well. It only comes in 22.

I'm going to get one of these one day when I finish buying about 20 or 30 more BP arms ... of course.

Oh, by the way, you CANNOT use black powder in these guns.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:10 PM   #10
CajunPowder

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Ve...air_rifle/2013

That's a link to an inexpensive, (but very accurate), 550FPS, small, light, youth model springer, (traditional springer). There's even a blemish on sale right now. It's got an unusually nice trigger for a $125.00 gun and it will shoot ragged, one-hole groups at 10 yards, no problem. Re-crowing this one would probably increase the accuracy for longer range.

You can modify the stock of this one to create a very interesting arm. It has an ... uhhhh ... highly adaptable muzzle.

--------------------------------------------------

The muzzle on the Benjamin Trail however is ... project worthy for sure.

--------------------------------------------------

A REALLY cute lady does an excellent video review on the Air Venturi Youth, (she's some kind of champion air gun shooter of sorts). It's a great review. Tom Gaylord in association with PyramidAir produced this air rifle specifically for youth who want to get started with accurate air rifles and work their way into that hobby.

You've got to use the right pellet with the Venturi and the video demonstrates this very readily.

There's a 7 year old here in town who is a dead-eye shot with this one. I really like it but I've got my sights set on the Remington-Benjamin-Crosman Benjamin Trail NP XL.

Last edited by CajunPowder; August 31, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
ClemBert

Hey, thanks for providing all that helpful info. Unfortunately I think my budget is going to be around $150. I need to keep all extra cash available for my black powder adventures.

The reason I mentioned the Ruger Air Hawk Elite is because it has received decent reviews and its in my budget. My requirements are: break-barrel, adult rifle, 800fps+, comes with scope, reasonably accurate. I'm not going to be competition shooting. Typical use will be to exterminate tree rats, possums, and armadillos. I live in a small neighborhood in the city limits so black powder revolvers and regular firearms are out of the question.

The shooting gallery looks like this:

As you can see I back up against a greenbelt with plenty of water and trees in the back. So it is ideal for shooting towards the back. I have in the past shot a .22LR revolver and a 410 shotshell revolver in the backyard but that is on rare occasion and I'm very cautious about that. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention shooting the ROA on the 4th of July at night. Load was 50 grains 3Fg with wad only.

If you know of anything that fits my criteria please let me know.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:07 PM   #12
CajunPowder

LOL, nice shooting gallery.

I think you are going to be very happy with the Ruger, because it meets your needs, you've read the reviews and like them ... and most importantly, it's a ruger and you know it's quality and they have a reputation to maintain.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/ruger-ai...ir-rifle.shtml , a ruger combo for $115.00 and that's a great deal, comes with a good scope, two stage adjustable trigger that some really like. It's only available in .177, however that's good enough with good shot placement at that FPS. Some say you can even get this combo cheaper if you shop it.

PyramidAir is a GREAT company to deal with in my experience. Probably the leader in online airgun sales for a company that only deals in airguns.

This is a super cool one:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/beeman-s...-caliber.shtml

It comes with TWO barrels, 22 and 177. Comes with a scope AND a soft bag carry case. And it's a BEEMAN, great stuff in the land of air rifles.

This one's on sale:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/gamo-big...ir-rifle.shtml

It a Gamo Big Cat, very, very popular and it's been in production for some time, bugs worked out for sure and Gamo is a huge contender in the airgun market, very popular outside and inside of the U.S.. Huge production numbers.

The Gamo Big Cat gets good buyer reviews but I don't think it comes with a scope. Gamo probably has some quality control issues that Ruger would strive to eliminate.

For me, the real advantage of the Remington-Benjamin-Crosman Nitro Piston, ($229.00), is that it has very low recoil and the loose as a goose modified infantry hold for springers is not as crucial for great accuracy.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:09 PM   #13
CajunPowder

Oh, and be sure and wear AT LEAST two BP revolvers on your hips for that coup de grace ... you never know when a tree rat is faking it and will charge right at you, scamper up your leg and then heaven help you.

I'd use at least 35 grains of BP for that coup de grace, maybe even a second shot.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:37 PM   #14
ClemBert

I was looking at this list on Cabelas. What do you like out of that group?

For coup de grace shots I could use this:

Too bad they don't make a black powder version of it. I guess a LeMatt would come closest. But seriously, I'm gonna shoot dem varmits then leave them there 'till they have X's over their eyes. I'm not gonna creep up on them 'till they are in tree rat heaven.

Last edited by ClemBert; September 1, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old August 31, 2010, 11:28 PM   #15
CajunPowder

I can't get to that list, I think the cookie for it is on your computer, specific to your computer. I'll be glad to look at anything you send my way.

I'm liking that ruger combo for $115.00 with free shipping at PyramidAir.
Old September 1, 2010, 05:59 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

I bought a....

....RWS Model 34.

I like it.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:41 AM   #17
zullo74

Clembert's link works for me.

Last edited by zullo74; September 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:08 AM   #18
ClemBert

The link should have taken you to Cabelas main page for all their air rifles. Their navigation pointers look like this:

Shop > Shooting Gear > Airguns, Slingshots & Blowgun
Old September 1, 2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Noz

I use a .177 Chinese side cocker that I purchased from the local equivalent of Harbor Freight for $30. With an additional air rifle scope it is accurate enough to take squirrels at 50-75 feet.
The Ruger deals above look to be too good to pass up. I just dumped my Cabela's fun money on another 1860 Army Sheriff model so I'm out of the gun buying for a month or so.