The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

Glock 17 OD - Endurance Test.

I posted a month or two ago when I got my new Glock 17 OD. Since Glock discontinued production of this model, I figured I better get one before they're gone! Always liked them - probably just because they are 'different'.

Well, I decided from the start that I wouldn't clean or lube it until it failed. The only thing I did to it after I picked it up was fitted a 3.5 lb Ghost Rocket trigger connector, 1 drop of MPro-7 oil on each slide rail, and away we went.

As of this afternoon, I am at 833 rounds. Not an uncanny event by any means, but I want to document my progress here. I will stop testing when I have my first failure. The current ammo count is:

- 150 rounds of Federal Champion Wal Mart ammo
- 150 rounds of cheap S&B target ammo from a friend
- 483 rounds out of a 500 round box of canned heat. (left 1 magazine full and in the gun or it'd be 850 rounds even)

Going to the gun show next weekend to try and pick up another case or two. Usually find those ammo cans for about $90-$95 per 500 rounds of 115gr TMJ's. They're reloads, but they are good quality. I trust them much more than the Federal Champion stuff. That junk is dirty and inaccurate. I've also had good luck with the BVAC ammo that CheaperThanDirt sells.. those are reloads too.

Anyways, getting on with it... what's a good thread without pics right? Here is the gun after todays range trip of the final 300 rounds or so out of the canned heat.

Here's the slide:

Here's the trigger assembly group:

And the front of the frame/dust cover area:
Old February 11, 2011, 06:19 PM   #2
kxkid

I didn't clean my 23 for over a year and had close to 2000 rounds through it before I cleaned it. I only did because once u become a cop having a clean gun is a must even though I know my guns will function fine dirty as heck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old February 11, 2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

This is taking everything in me to leave the gun alone. I'm usually extremely anal about keeping my guns clean.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
jmr40

When you get close to 300,000 rounds you can compete with this guy
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-torture-test/
Old February 11, 2011, 07:04 PM   #5
microtech

i feel your pain. Hopefully it will prove very reliable. im sure it will take some hard work to prove otherwise.
Old February 11, 2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

Quote:
When you get close to 300,000 rounds you can compete with this guy
I'm not seeing if I can shoot the gun to death until parts break. Chuck Taylor's gun has been cleaned, and even had parts replaced..

I'm seeing how many rounds I can get through it before it starts having feed problems, ejection problems, etc.. We're doing completely different things.
Old February 11, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Rugerismisticness

I hope it JAMS RIGHT NOW, so you can end the test, sell the gun because it jams when neglected, and save all the ammo for me or your 1911s Just kidding by the way.
Old February 11, 2011, 10:48 PM   #8
hogwiley

Glock 17s have had just about every type of torture test concieved done to them. I'm pretty sure this one has been done plenty of times as well. You can probably google some results.
Old February 12, 2011, 01:13 AM   #9
DannySeesUSMC

Durability/reliability tests have been done on them many times, but it's still good to see them periodically - and good to see some one really using a pistol and gaining complete trust in it.

Changes to internal parts, the quality of the materials and little design tweaks, mean that you can't just look at tests done on one or two samples 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, etc.
Old February 12, 2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Amin Parker

I have done this test with a Beretta 92, cz 75, Glock17 and Browning High Power at the same time. All new in box except the High Power which was the control.

Have fun and document every magazine fired. Also visually inspect the rounds before loading them into a magazine.

This was some time back and im looking at doing it again, with pics and send the results to our local magazine as well as you guys.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:52 AM   #11
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Glock 17s have had just about every type of torture test concieved done to them. I'm pretty sure this one has been done plenty of times as well. You can probably google some results.
I know that. I'm not claiming that my test is indicative of all glocks... I want to see what MINE will do.

Quote:
Durability/reliability tests have been done on them many times, but it's still good to see them periodically - and good to see some one really using a pistol and gaining complete trust in it.
Kind of where I'm going with this. I already trust my Glocks. G19 stays in my car at all times. G21 in a shoulder holster for cooler weather. And some more in the safe.

I have always had relative trust in my Glocks. I have indeed had a couple that would fail pretty consistently. One was a G27 and one was a G23. I tried all of the tricks to make them shoot reliably... stock configuration... lower/higher power recoil springs...etc. It wasn't like they failed every round... but maybe once every other magazine, sometimes less frequently, sometimes more frequently... depending on the ammo used.

I'm pleased to see how well this G17 is going with all of my magazines. standard magazine, +2 extension, and 33 rounders. I would say that I trust it at this point, but I want to see how far it will go being dirty. Once I have the first FTF/FTE/whatever I will stop, document the round count, take photos of the jam and of the gun inside and out. Then I will clean it and be done, and treat it just like all of my other guns.

I'm not trying to prove anything... just having fun. Thought you all might enjoy the progress.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:01 AM   #12
jglsprings

Malice,

Nice to see so many people on this forum hate to see a guy having a good time with his guns.

By doing this sort of test you will learn more about you, your guns and shooting that most typo grand masters will in their entire lifetimes.

Have fun and keep us up to date.

Commas save lives...
Old February 12, 2011, 10:52 AM   #13
ojibweindian

We all know that people have torture tested Glocks, et al. However, no one's torture tested U.M's Glock I think it's a good idea to see how long one's OWN pistol will go before crapping out, as an FYI.

I've kinda done the same thing with my XD's. Not purposefully, but rather more out of sheer laziness. No problems with non-SWC reloads.

I'd expect U.M's Glock to keep right on chugging along.
Old February 12, 2011, 12:25 PM   #14
dawico

A fluke can happen with any gun. Hopefully you don't get a jam early and end the fun. I would be more curious to see when the gun jams on a regular basis with no cleaning, such as a jam every magazine, or two jams back to back. With a Glock, this could get very expensive though.

Enjoy your test, and hopefully it doesn't break the bank, but it might.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:53 PM   #15
dwatts47

" I decided to do was shoot the pistol without cleaning until it stopped functioning, and simultaneously present it from a holster (I have a daily hour-long dry-practice routine) as much as possible during the process.

This phase took longer than I expected, since the gun continued to function without interruption until a bit over 10,000 rounds had been expended."

quote from the posted link.....

You're actually doing the exact same thing. I am a die hard Glock user and abuser, and respect your desire to develope a trust for your weapon but really, why do whats been done and done and done....all things will break eventually...we know this, Just some break less than others....

I have 4 personally owned full size glocks that ALL have over 100,000 rounds thru them with no problems and I've heard that same story from so many people since my first new one in 1990 that it even boares me.

Its like seeing the millionth' "bump fire" video when trying to google an IDPA or 3 gun macth.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:52 AM   #16
boredom

theres a guy on a more local forum that has close to 10k rounds through his OD glock 17, iirc. i will look for his thread and report back.