The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Fremmer

Assembly Tool for 1911 Full Length Guide Rod

The full-length guide rod seems to be the rage for 1911s these days. My Kimber has one. I love shooting the gun; it is accurate and reliable. But I dreaded cleaning it; disassembly and reassembly was a real pain. Fighting the recoil plug, having the plug and the spring fly accross the room, and trying to mash the plug down for reassembly was very frustrating.

I considered ditching the full length guide rod, but I didn't want to change the components of a gun that runs so well ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). So I purchased an assembly tool from Midwayusa.com. It is called an "Assembly tool for 1911 full length guide rod and recoil spring", manufactured by Cylinder and Slide, Inc.

The assembly tool is simple to use, and makes disassembly/reassembly of a 1911 with a full length guid rod a breeze! It allows the recoil plug to be safely and easily depressed, and you can control the recoil spring as it comes out of the gun. Likewise, reassembly is quick and simple, and you won't have to worry about kinking the recoil spring during reassembly.

I would recommend this tool for anyone who has better things to do than fighting with a recoil plug during assembly and disassembly. It works a lot better than a bushing wrench. It is a great tool!
Old May 3, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Wildalaska

I use a paper clip

WildmanthetoolmakerAlaska
Old May 3, 2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Fremmer

I could have gone back to the standard rod, but it runs perfectly, and I don't want to mess with it.

A paperclip would have been less expensive.
Old May 5, 2006, 09:58 PM   #4
steelheart

There's a similar tool that I use called the "Thumb Buddy" from www.slip2000.com (click on accessories). It makes assembling/disassembling a 1911 with a guide rod a breeze.