The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 28, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Kevin_d77

USP Love

So I picked up a used USP police trade-in back in July. I've shot it a few times, didn't blow me away with anything in particular. I got it $420 w night sights and 3 mags, figured I couldn't beat the price. It came a variant 4 but I have since changed it to a variant 3 and then again to a variant 1. I also added the extended magazine release as well by a great recommendation.

Here comes the love part, I love the simplicity of the design. Being able to swap out a simple part to go from left handed decocker, to right handed decocker, to safety/decocker in 15 mins or less is simply brilliant. I love working on this gun! So for the price and cool factor, I can't see myself letting this one go ever. It's big and bulky and blocky, but it's smooth as butter and relatively accurate. Think I may add the match trigger as well just for giggles.

Anyone else feel the same about this design? Makes me want to add another HK on principle alone. Probably a HK45 or HK45c.
Old December 28, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
sigarms228

The HK USP is a terrific pistol!! I don't own one but I really like the HK USP Compact 9MM if I were to get one.

The HK45 and HKP30L are my favorite HKs both of which I own and among my very favorite pistols along with my SIGs.

I bet you would love a HK45/HK45C or P30/P30L.

Old December 28, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

P30 looks cool and feels great in the hand but I def don't need another 9.....but I'm sure eventually it will happen. The HK45 seems more reasonable to me right now.
Old December 28, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
TunnelRat

HK45c is my baby. You can make the 45c bigger with the larger magazines and longer barrels if you want, you can't shrink the fullsize.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 28, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
jben

I just bought a USP 45 compact stainless, but I have not fired it yet. I had a full size USP 45 several years ago that I liked a lot, but sold it for unknown reasons, and I wanted to get another. I decided to go with the compact this time. My full size one that I sold was also stainless, so I went that route on this one also. The USP's just feel right to me. jben
Old December 28, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
sigarms228

Quote:
HK45c is my baby. You can make the 45c bigger with the larger magazines and longer barrels if you want, you can't shrink the fullsize.
I prefer the grip, including length of it, of the HK45 myself. You can't get that on the HK45C.

I would never think of shrinking my HK45 either.

Good to have options though.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:06 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
I prefer the grip, including length of it, of the HK45 myself. You can't get that on the HK45C.

I would never think of shrinking my HK45 either.
Concealment is a thing.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 28, 2013, 08:48 PM   #8
PSP

Quote:
Anyone else feel the same about this design?
Has there been another model with so many variables, available alterations and sub-models? Great gun. The match trigger is a very nice refinement, worth the money if you shoot a lot... maybe not for only occasional use.
Old December 28, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I personally love HK's firearms. I own 4 of their rifles. Next I want to start on my HK pistol collection. I love the USP and the HK45( the 45C is my absolute favotite). These and Sigs are fire arms (mass produced) that in my opinion, are worth the money spent.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 29, 2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Morgo

HK's are my favourite polymer handguns, my Match was my first centrefire handgun

Old December 29, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
USMCGrunt

Being in Florida, what you are really missing about the USP design is the ability to be used while wearing heavy winter gloves. I'm not talking about Florida winters but -40 degree Northern plains winters where heavy ski gloves mean the difference between keeping your fingers or turning black and falling off in a few days! The large trigger guard combined with the SA mode of carry will accommodate the heaviest of gloves while permitting the shooter to safely and efficiently accessing the trigger and allowing the trigger to reset between shots. Worth the money right there IMHO!