The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 10, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Metal god

What is the definition of cool dry place .

Yeah I get what it means but what is to hot and to humid . I'm in San Diego about 3 miles from the beach . It's almost always 70 degrees ( really ) and 60% to 75% humidity . That' pretty much the average here but my gun room has got to 80 degrees or so . I keep primers and powder in there so whats the point where the room starts getting to hot or humid . If exposure spikes to 100 degrees and 95% humidity for 48hours then drops back down to the norm is there an issue or is it more of a longer sustained exposure issue . I'm asking less about danger and more about shelf life and consitency of product . .

We can expand this to rifle storage as well

Last edited by Metal god; June 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old June 11, 2013, 07:14 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Cool and dry is typically under AC so the humidity level doesn't get too high. Your temps are fine, the humidity isn't too bad - it would be worse if you were beachfront, (and then you would salt corrosion in the air to your worries). Keep a light oil wipe down on your guns, (I like to keep mine also in a silicone sock), and all should be just fine
Old June 11, 2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Ridgewalker

70F w 50% relative humidity.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
SgtLumpy

Interestingly enough, musical instrument makers consider 45% RH the ideal humidity to build wooden instruments in. They consider that "humidified", as in "not dry".

0613 hrs Juliet, Phoenix - 80 degrees, 16% humidity. Looking for 108 today after a couple of days of 110. And it's not the hot season yet.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 11, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Slamfire

Take a look at this publication: Surveillance and in-service proof.

Section 7.3 Climatic Impact on the degradation of explosives.

https://www.un.org/disarmament/conva...Proof(V.1).pdf

This will give you an idea of the sensitivity of ammunition to heat. Gunpowder primarily breaks down by heat and the rate follows an exponential relationship. The hotter it is, the faster it breaks down. Like really, really faster. Ionic or polar molecules (water is polar) break down gunpowder by interacting with the NO double bonds but I have no idea how long that takes to ruin gunpowder.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
0613 hrs Juliet, Phoenix - 80 degrees, 16% humidity. Looking for 108 today after a couple of days of 110.
Today we started before sunrise at 72; 5 minutes after the sun came up were we at 80 with humidity coming on from the south and running 90%. In the PM we were 90 degrees, 100% humidity with a heat index of 98 and then the rain came - 4" in one hour leaving everything like a sauna

108 and dry is nice - BTDT in northern NV - at least everything easily dries - here your towel from the shower stays wet for three days or better - so you can guess what that does to fine blued steel on your guns. My RSC has a golden rod and three big dessicants I dry out every three weeks - and this is inside under AC...............but I no longer need to carry a chapstick everywhere!!
Old June 11, 2013, 09:40 PM   #7
Metal god

Man , I feel for you guys . I love the weather here in Californistan but these gun laws are really making me think on leaving . I'm a third generation San Diegain . all my family is here and it really is a great city . If these new laws pass I'll have to register my 10/22 as a assault rifle .