The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2008, 06:47 AM   #1
cnjaxx

Nosler Partitions

Just picked up a Tikka 270 WSM, and was thinking of feeding it something special. I have been using HDY SST, and core locks for the 270s. I'm thinking about using Nosler Partitions for this gun. How do they fly, and do they give good terminal performance on deer, and black bear?
Old August 23, 2008, 07:15 AM   #2
nate45

Nosler Partition is a good preforming bullet, but nowadays all the brands of premium hunting bullets preform well. I would just use which ever one shot the best group in my rifle.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
mikenbarb

Nosler Partitions are a great bullet for deer and bear. You have to see what bullet shoots best out of your gun because no two guns are exactly alike with ballistics. I do alot of deer and black bear hunting in NY and Pa. and tend to like the Speer Grand Slams and Partitions for both. Their both great accurate bullets but you will have to find a load your gun likes. I dont load for the 270 so I cant even make a recomendation on a starting point with it. Im sure others here have some good advise for the .270. Good luck with the new rifle.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:29 AM   #4
cnjaxx

Thanks fellas. Mikenbarb. I also hunted bear and deer up in NY around Unadilla, Mexico, Monticello, and other places. I'm sure we chewed some of the same dirt
Old August 23, 2008, 10:29 AM   #5
roy reali

How Do They Fly?

The expanding gas from the burning of the gun powder propels the bullet forward.
Old August 23, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Scorch

Nosler Partitions are the original "premium" hunting bullet, designed back in 1946 by John Nosler to solve jacket/core separation problems he was experiencing with his 300 H&H. I hunt with Nosler Partitions and highly recommend them, they are an outstanding performing bullet. However, they have a fairly low BC, are expensive, and there are many other options nowadays as far as premium bullets go. If you want a guarantee of penetration, Partitions or Swift A-Frame bullets are hard to beat. For a premium bullet with high BC, you may want to try Hornady Interbonds, Nosler Accubonds, Swift Sciroccos, of Trophy Bear Claws.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:12 PM   #7
cnjaxx

Roy Reali. I guess I kinda asked for that
Old August 23, 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
mikenbarb

Cnjaxx, Your rite in my neck of the woods and I hunt there and also Wurtsboro Mntn. and the Big Indian. Indians a BIG mountain and we pack it in for a week so the deer and bear season overlap each other. Now that I know where your hunting, I would go with the Partitions, Accubonds, Bear Claws or just good ol' Remington Core-Lokt( I still love my Grand Slams). Their a good tough bullet and hold together well. The shots we are limited to up where I hunt is around 150yds and most are under 100yds.
Old August 23, 2008, 07:49 PM   #9
roy reali

re:cnjaxx

You might be one fellow I might want to shoot with. You have a rare quality, espically around here, a sense of humor!
Old August 23, 2008, 08:02 PM   #10
HiBC

+1 to scorch.

If you are looking at elk or moose and you wish to ensure penetration,My confidence is in the partition.
There is a BC compromise.As scorch said,the other bullets retain velocity.The term "bonded" is a good thing.
Without bonding,boattails have less cylindrical length to hold onto the cores,and are more prone to jacket shedding than flat base bullets.
So long as rifling twist is appropriate,most all modern bullets will deliver very good accuracy in most rifles.Noslers of any sort have always shot very well for me.