The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 23, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1
sc outdoorsman

This Evenings Hunt

I had an interesting hunt this evening. I dropped my son off at his stand and went to our other property. The direction off the wind was all wrong except for one stand that I am not fond off. The location is not bad, the stand is a little small for me and the seat is not very comfortable.

About 5.30 a decent doe popped out in the road that was my only option to hunt due to the wind. I put my rifle on it gave it a real quick once over because the road is only 20' wide and the deer was about to cross at about 100 yards. I squeezed off a round the deer jumped and crashed about 10 yards away in a thicket. I waited to about 6:30 to go find the deer so I would still have plenty of light left in case I had trouble. When I found the deer it had turned into a spike somehow. My quick once over didn't give me enough time to pickup the dark 3" tines. It is a legal deer but I was a little upset I shot it.

I headed back down the road to the stand to get the deer cart so I could start pulling him to the truck. I guess I had walked about 50 yard when a rabbit came running at me full speed and almost ran up my leg. I jumped out of the way and laughed. I took 2 steps and a fox came running behind the rabbit saw me and slide about a foot before he stopped and shot away from me like lightning bolt.
I guess I messed up his dinner date.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Saltydog235

Good one.

I've had the sinus crud and haven't seen much but a small 6 point and a doe. We did a hog drive through the swamp that got up one other small bucks but no pigs, plenty of sign though.

I went and set out corn on a longer shot stand Saturday after the drive so I could sit and maybe keep my cough and noise down some. It was at least pretty weather and squirrels don't mind a cough.

On the way back to the Clubhouse I turned down the road and watched 15 big hogs cross the road. I gunned the truck, forgot I had my .357 with me, jumped out, realized I had put up the shotgun, grabbed the .243, jumped on the toolbox and could see the planted pines moving but had no shot.

I learned that I will always have one of my pistols with me and ready to go, that the shotgun will be on ready at all times on that place and that we've got a bigger issue that Ithought. Every one of those pigs was over 200-250lbs.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
sc outdoorsman

I went back to this stand this morning and the fox had a bad day. I actually saw 2 but only got a good shot at one around 40 yards. I brought out my 06 to try and change my luck with the deer. I didn't see any, but at least the rabbits will have a little easier life. Hopefully the deer will change their pattern soon. I haven't seen any in a couple of weeks and we need to get my dad a couple for his freezer
Old November 17, 2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Saltydog235

Killed a yote last Saturday AM.